Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Closer Look, PFF Wild Card Weekend
I know Pally links twitter to the top 5 overall, but I will go a bit deeper and add my colorful commentary:

Top 5 on Defense (they deserve to be first this time)

ADG- 87.1 on 16 snaps. That is what you call making the most of your opportunities. He was also a whopping 92.3 on 16 Special Teams snaps. Huge game for the App State LB.

Wilson- 82.1 What can you say about Wilson? The guy is tough as nails (please look up on youtube the hit he made on Tyler Linderbaum during ADG interception return. OH, and BTW, My ASS was ADG down by contact, he had not REMOTELY secured the ball. Assbags. Wilson can cover, he can rush the passer, and he is incredibly instinctive and decisive on run defense.

Tufele- 78.9
He only played 5 snaps (hence, the reason I have 6 in my top 5) but his snaps came at a crucial time when Baltiwhore was starting to overwhelm the defensive line. Again, making the most of his opportunities and, like Sharping, a great pick up.

Sample- 76.5 He played 31 snaps and made a huge impact when Lou shifted him in for Trey on rushing plays. Love how these young guys are stepping up. This is what Championship clubs have: Depth and Talent.

Hilton- 69.0 Only got to play 27 snaps due to Baltiwhore using predominantly 12 personnel, but damn this guy makes his presence felt every time he is on the field. Pound for pound, the toughest Bengal.

BJ Hill- 68.0 in a full 60 snaps. Had linemen diving at his knees all day in the run, had to defend a mobile QB, and still found time to generate some pass rush. BJ is a big part of this defense and continues to up his game in postseason play.

Top 5 on Offense:

Joe Burrow- 84.2
This game was as much about what Joe didn't do as what he did do. He held the ball with two hands when the pocket collapsed. He was sacked 4 times, hit another 4 times (seemed like more) but he never turned the ball over. At least three of those hits would have been penalties on the likes of Brady or Rogers. But Joe never got rattled. He also never forced anything. He just did what it took to win. One complaint, and this is more for the coaches: Stop running the ball in to a pile in the 4th quarter with a lead unless you are going to put an extra OT in and really dedicate yourself to it. PUT THE BALL IN JOE'S HANDS. He will make the right reads, take shots where he can, and check it down if it isn't there. The end of this game had a very SF 49er-2021 feel to it. Give Joe the ball. Get the plays in quick. Let him audible. That is always your best play.

Chase- 71.2. I remember just one drop on a high pass and one other PBU where he was led in to Hamilton. Took a lot of hard shots, but held on to the ball. They couldn't cover him in the slot. If the Bengals want to put up more 30 burgers, however, you are going to have to have more from Boyd in the slot and the TEs with Chase and Tee outside. They are supposed to have the best trio in the NFL. Need all three at their best.

Higgins 64.9 4 catches for 37 yards on 6 targets is hardly a great game, but I do think he got the shaft when Peters basically punched him in the facemask, nearly knocking his helmet off on what would have been a sure TD. Assbag blind MFRs.

Karras- 69.3 with an 84.5 pass blocking rating. Given the pass plays were run over 2 to 1, this was a really solid game by Karras, the last FA standing.

Mixon 62.8 I had to put him here as he was techically top 5, but his 17.7 on pass blocking (just 3 snaps pass blocking, but we are back to predictability based on formation/personnel. Mixon needs to do better.

Honorable Mentions:

Sam Hubbard- 50.2 Lowest rated defensive player. I will chalk some of this up to being a spy that was trying to keep Huntley contained and he never really got to make a play on him, but just steered him to traffic.

Vonn Bell- 67.7 was 7th overall on defense. His hit on the RB at the goal line was huge in getting the Bengals to third down and the Wham, Bam, Thank You, Sam.

Zac Carter 64.3 #10 overall on defense. Played 29 snaps and has been improving each week. The guy has that relentless motor and is figuring out how to work through the trash and make plays. He just keeps improving each week.

Jackson Carman- 49.6
I would give him a few extra points if he would simply tuck his shirt in, but I digress. Played 28 snaps and didn't grade out great, but against the best defense in the NFL over the past however many weeks ago that they signed Smith is at least serviceable. For reference, he scored 2 points lower than Volson, 7 points higher than Sharping, and 9 points higher than Adeniji. He has what is clearly a last chance to show he belongs at the position where he started three years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I**** OH, and BTW, My ASS was ADG down by contact, he had not REMOTELY secured the ball.  Assbags.   ****

Excellent analysis. Thank you. And regarding your aside, I also were perplexed the officials decided down by contact. He was touched only in the process of trying to get the interception, not after completing the catch. Surprised the announcers, who otherwise did a fine job in my opinion, didn't bring in a rules official to review that play.
Reply/Quote
On the Horse collar sack the guy that comes in after Joe was already down could easily have been called roughing. Blow to the head and dropped his helmet. I was semi - shocked it wasn't.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On the Horse collar sack the guy that comes in after Joe was already down could easily have been called roughing. Blow to the head and dropped his helmet. I was semi - shocked it wasn't.

Right? He purposely punched Joe in the helmet with the palm of his hand. I couldn't believe there was not flag.... well, actually I wasn't surprised. 
Reply/Quote
On an aside, Hairball is taking a bunch of crap on twitter and FB for his snarky interview after the first quarter. And Dobbins is doing the same for saying they would have won if Lamar played. Talk about throwing Huntley under the bus....
Reply/Quote
My biggest worry on defense is their inability to generate a lot of pressure on the QB. They sacked Huntley once, right? Felt like the guy had a ton of time to throw all game long.

They cannot give Allen time in the pocket, otherwise he'll kill us on the deep ball (especially if Apple is covering Diggs). Lou's gotta figure out a way to get to Allen. Force third and long situations. Allen will try to play "hero ball" and make mistakes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:
Jackson Carman-  49.6
 I would give him a few extra points if he would simply tuck his shirt in, but I digress.  Played 28 snaps and didn't grade out great, but against the best defense in the NFL over the past however many weeks ago that they signed Smith is at least serviceable.  For reference,  he scored 2 points lower than Volson, 7 points higher than Sharping, and 9 points higher than Adeniji.  He has what is clearly a last chance to show he belongs at the position where he started three years.

To bolded:  That just goes to show what sort of day to expect, when you have to roll a unit of backups out to do battle with one of the toughest front sevens in the league.

To your last sentence:  I certainly hope that Adeniji is getting plenty of practice reps at LT this week, if there are true doubts as to Williams' availability.  Of Carman/Adeniji, Adeniji clearly has the better footwork and hand technique for LT and Carman's strengths lean more towards being able to push someone around on the Right side.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On the Horse collar sack the guy that comes in after Joe was already down could easily have been called roughing. Blow to the head and dropped his helmet. I was semi - shocked it wasn't.

It is almost as though those f'n clowns think we don't watch any other games.  The inequities in their officiating makes me madder than a hornet who's next just  got drilled by a football.  I swear I would like to throat punch some of those assbags.   
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right? He purposely punched Joe in the helmet with the palm of his hand. I couldn't believe there was not flag.... well, actually I wasn't surprised. 

He also took a head slap on a play where he was running out of bounds.  It wasn't late, but it was clearly dirty.  They knew EXACTLY what they were doing.  steeler-esque.  Can't beat him, so injure him.  F*****s
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is almost as though those f'n clowns think we don't watch any other games.  The inequities in their officiating makes me madder than a hornet who's next just  got drilled by a football.  I swear I would like to throat punch some of those assbags.   

What’s the word on your O line. Can they come back this weekend?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded:  That just goes to show what sort of day to expect, when you have to roll a unit of backups out to do battle with one of the toughest front sevens in the league.

To your last sentence:  I certainly hope that Adeniji is getting plenty of practice reps at LT this week, if there are true doubts as to Williams' availability.  Of Carman/Adeniji, Adeniji clearly has the better footwork and hand technique for LT and Carman's strengths lean more towards being able to push someone around on the Right side.

Although I agree with the player analysis, I am torn as to whether you swap two positions, potentially weakening them both.  Carman played more snaps at LT than any other position his entire career, and Adeniji has been at least Collins level in pass pro.  

I think I would rock Carman at LT and always have a RB or TE chip the outside to help him with speed rushers.  Power is generally not his issue.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I agree with the player analysis, I am torn as to whether you swap two positions, potentially weakening them both.  Carman played more snaps at LT than any other position his entire career, and Adeniji has been at least Collins level in pass pro.  

I think I would rock Carman at LT and always have a RB or TE chip the outside to help him with speed rushers.  Power is generally not his issue.  

I agree. Carman played most of his football at LT. Adeniji has been practicing and playing on the right side. Not the time to switch things up.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:20 PM)packerbacker Wrote: What’s the word on your O line. Can they come back this weekend?

Highly doubtful. We're rolling with a Center, a rookie Guard and 3 backups.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:20 PM)packerbacker Wrote: What’s the word on your O line. Can they come back this weekend?

Almost a certainty that Jonah won't.  It is the dislocation of the OTHER kneecap.  (Oddly, both happened against the Ratbirds).  Cappa has a chance, but unlikely.  I think best they can hope for is Cappa for Super Bowl.  Jonah, no idea.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:15 AM)Big Boss Wrote: My biggest worry on defense is their inability to generate a lot of pressure on the QB.  They sacked Huntley once, right?  Felt like the guy had a ton of time to throw all game long.

They cannot give Allen time in the pocket, otherwise he'll kill us on the deep ball (especially if Apple is covering Diggs).  Lou's gotta figure out a way to get to Allen.  Force third and long situations.  Allen will try to play "hero ball" and make mistakes.

Our pass rushers have had trouble finishing sacks all year. 

They were constantly in the backfield pressuring Huntley, but couldn't get to him and finish him off. Huntley is elusive, so give him credit, but I feel like our pass rushers aren't super-fast to chase and close. 

Josh Allen presents the same problem. He is fast enough to get away and he's even harder to bring down and tackle. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Highly doubtful. We're rolling with a Center, a rookie Guard and 3 backups.

I seen one had a dislocated kneecap. I tell you I was really nervous in that game Sunday night. I was so happy you pulled it off.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Almost a certainty that Jonah won't.  It is the dislocation of the OTHER kneecap.  (Oddly, both happened against the Ratbirds).  Cappa has a chance, but unlikely.  I think best they can hope for is Cappa for Super Bowl.  Jonah, no idea.  

I hope they heal up fast.
Reply/Quote
Good breakdown, Racer.

Now please change that avatar.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: On an aside, Hairball is taking a bunch of crap on twitter and FB for his snarky interview after the first quarter. And Dobbins is doing the same for saying they would have won if Lamar played. Talk about throwing Huntley under the bus....

If they don’t want Huntley, send him on over!
Reply/Quote
Great stuff.

My question is how did Jonah and the rest of the OL grade out against a stout Ravens DL?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote