Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Different 1st RD. Option
I will continue to preach it and that is football must be won in the trenches. I would think that most would agree that the Bengals have struggled in this area on both sides of the ball. It may be more pronounced on the offensive side of the ball but to whin championships you have to control the line of scrimmage. I looked at FA options on the offensive line and to be brutally honest they are not great in '24. The two leading candidates at RT would have to be Trent Brown or Jermaine Eluemunor and with Brown, while he is a dominant force on the field, he seems to struggle with injuries and playing an entire season. With that said I would be welcome to either of these players coming in at RT in free agency.

However, we will not know that for many more weeks. So with the assumption that neither is with the Bengals I started looking at options other than having to select a RT in the first round while still greatly improving the trenches. As well, the draft stock for the RTs that had been projected in the Bengals range seems to have risen since the Senior Bowl. This could put the Bengals in a position to overdraft a player if they are looking at RT as a target. 

The following draft addresses the lines without going strictly RT in the first round. 

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
So sitting at 18 the Bengals had the option to draft either a Fautanu who was ranked 25th or Guyton sitting at 26th or they could explore the trade offers that were coming in. When looking at overall value of the selection in comparison as to value of trading down and adding additional early round selections the Bengals traded down in this scenario and obviously ideally hoping one of these guys may still fall to them but having a contingency if they did not. 

The Bengals opted to take the offer from Detroit to trade the 18th overall selection in exchange for the 29th and 61st overall selections.

RD. 1 - 29th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMgyqb1SK8r9Knbw6v48F...w&usqp=CAU]

Graham Barton - OL - Duke - 6'5" 315

So much of the talk has been Latham, Mims, Fuaga, Guyton, etc. Well I ask why not the most versatile lineman in this draft who has the ability to start at all five positions on the offensive line? Ideally, I would like to see the Bengals put themselves in the position to not have to have a RT in the first round by picking up Brown or Eluemunor but if they do not then Barton is a guy that has the ability to start at RT at a high level. However, I see Barton being one of the best guards or centers in the league year in and year out. Could Barton unseat Karras at center allowing him to move to LG where he has also played in the NFL or could Barton take over LG for Volson. I see either option as a vast improvement at LG and a major improvement to the interior line.

Barton is displays elite football IQ as well as elite ability as a run blocker. Barton explodes off of the ball and generates pure raw power in doing so. He has the absolute finisher mentality that this O line is sorely missing. When you watch his bend, athleticism, and flexibility it all appears to just come completely natural. He looks to impose his will on evert defender he contacts and he may be the best second level blocker in the draft. The biggest question with Barton will be where does he improve this offensive line the most but rest assured he is a day 1 difference maker.
Reply/Quote
RD. 2 - 49th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEarWZ9teWyLrCJFHQTGJ...w&usqp=CAU]

Leonard Taylor III - DT - Miami (Fla.) - 6'3 305

Many would like to get Sweat in this position but with being off the boards the Bengals opt for the must disruptive force still on the boards. Taylor is an explosive athlete that routinely beats double teams with violent hands and pure athleticism. His reaction at the snap and his first step are elite. While Taylor sports a lean frame he generates outstanding leverage and power and he plays with a non stop motor. His ability to shoot a gap may well be better than that of Newton and gives the Bengals the disruptive force on the interior that they have not seen since Geno.

I would look for Taylor to either replace Hill as the starter at the 3 tech or at the least to see significant snaps in relief of Hill at the 3 as a rookie. This kid is a steal at this point of the draft.

RD. 2 - 61st Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDebba3DnPEizPNT99ycl...Q&usqp=CAU]

Kiran Amegadjie - OT - Yale - 6'5" 326

While he may not be receiving the same fanfare as the many tackles above him in the draft since he is coming out of the FCS and the Ivy League, make no mistake this kid is not lacking in talent. Kiran brings elite level length, feet, and explosiveness to the table and as to be expected he completely dominated his competition. Coming from Yale his intelligence and football IQ are as high as to be expected. Kiran has not given up a single sack while playing tackle for Yale.

Kiran had his '23 ended early due to a torn quad so he will not work at the combine which could be a reason that the Bengals have the opportunity to steal him with this selection. Kiran gives the Bengals a legit prospect to be the day 1 starter at RT giving them the ability to let Barton focus solely on starting at either center or LG. The additions of Kiran and Barton to this offensive line should provide the Bengals with some seriously talented young players that can help them win the war in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
Is moving Volson and/or Karras out of their spots something you personally want to happen, or something you think likely would happen?
I ask because I think the likelihood of benching any of the IOL starters is miniscule.
Pollack and crew have chosen to roll with them for two years now, and they like the continuity.

I feel if you're drafting any position other than maybe RT, they'll be riding the bench for at least a year barring injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would trade down a few spots to pick up an extra 2nd round pick but I dont think I would trade down to #29. The second round pick would have to be a high second round pick to drop back that far.
Reply/Quote
RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu4XGQBKUgCxqNXp2By6...Q&usqp=CAU]

Jonathon Brooks - RB - Texas - 6'0" 207

Along with making changes in the trenches the Bengals have to get better in the running game. I have been a Mixon supporter but I believe it is time for the Bengals to upgrade at the RB position. I really like Benson in this draft but I believe that Benson and Brooks are RB 1a and 1b in this draft and it could be argued that Brooks could be a better back for their offense given his proven contributions as a receiver.

Brooks has displayed elite vision as a runner and a tremendous football IQ which is a key to the players I have looked to select and a box that Tobin and Taylor look to have checked by the prospects that they select. Brooks brings excellent acceleration and when he sees a crease he explodes thru it with great burst. There is not much dancing to his game. He sees the the hole with his elite vision and hits that hole. Once he clears the line he absolutely has homerun burst and speed to take it to the house. Maybe most importantly for contributing as a rookie and getting snaps in the offense, Brooks is not a liability in pass protection and blitz pickup.

Brooks would be an immediate upgrade to pair with Brown as the new look Bengals running game.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm0voOdPv93SsLnMRHr2c...Q&usqp=CAU]

Cedric Gray - LB - N. Carolina - 6'3" 235

Gray fits ideally in the mold of Pratt and Wilson as a do it all type of backer. However, one of his biggest strengths may be coverage in the passing game. Over the last three seasons with the Tar Heels he has had 5 interceptions and broken up 12 passes. Again, you are looking at a prospect that has displayed on the field a high football IQ to pair with outstanding instincts as he deciphers routes and keys on the QB and their intent. Gray routinely processes an offense and attacks with immediate intent and discipline.

Gray will need to continue to add functional strength as he grows at the next level and continue to improve as a wrap up tackler but I realistically could see Gray going into the '24 season as LB3 on the roster.
Reply/Quote
RD. 5 -147th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVdVHDcEbY_g0u-LtklPC...A&usqp=CAU]

Kamal Hadden - CB - Tennessee - 6'1" 197

Hadden is big long physical corner that has faced the best competition in the nation on a routine basis. Hadden was the Vols best cover corner going into the '23 season and was showing it before having his season cut short due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. Before being injured Hadden had 3 interceptions and 6 pass breakups and when his receiver was targeted he was giving up a QB rating of 7. Yes...7. 

Hadden brings the size to the position that the Bengals are missing and gives them an experienced corner that has went against elite competition that should help ease the expected loss of Chido who just was not the same player post injury. Hadden should be a great addition to the DB room and give this group the type of physicality they had with Chido. This addition will give the Bengals a good young core of talented corners with Turner and Taylor-Britt.

RD. 5 - 174th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8v9ITwvqSqliidN-6roW...A&usqp=CAU]

Theo Johnson - TE - Penn State - 6'6" 260

Johnson should give the Bengals the combination of size, receiving ability, and blocking that they have been looking for. Johnson is an accomplished blocker who is experienced blocking as an H-Back and as an inline blocker. The inexperience at QB for the Lions in '23 resulted in the offense running double TEs almost as their base offense giving Johnson the opportunity to really hone his skills as both a blocker and receiver.

As a blocker Johnson is very experienced and as a receiver he brings very good route running ability to go with the ability to create yards after the catch. He is a natural hands catcher and has good burst coming off of the line as a receiver. He presents very good top end speed and is a TE that can threaten the seams of a defense however he takes some build up to get to his top end speed. 

Tanner Hudson should be back as a RFA so Johnson should be a great addition to the TE room to pair with him. I see Johnson as a relatively high upside TE that should compliment the Bengals offense very nicely.
Reply/Quote
RD. 6 - 195th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRsUac81MdXgc4srE-491...w&usqp=CAU]

Jordan Jefferson - DT - LSU - 6'4" 315

Jefferson started his college career as West Virginia before transferring to LSU but showed himself to be a dominant run stopper at both stops. '23 was statistically the best season for Jefferson where he registered 7 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks. Jefferson has an extremely explosive first step and plays with a very high motor. When you watch film on Jefferson you will see him routinely drawing double teams by the offensive line where he has shown the ability to defeat double teams but will need to develop more consistency in this area. If Jefferson draws single coverage he has shown the ability to shed the lineman consistently and to penetrate and disrupt the backfield.

While it is not totally accurate to say he does not offer anything in the pass rush it is fair to say this is an area where he could use the most improvement. Ideally, the Bengals come to terms with Reader and bring him back for at least a one year deal and if they do then Jefferson should prove to be a good young prospect to see frequent snaps to spell Reader but give them the run stopper they miss without him. If they do not bring Reader back then they have a good young talent to challenge for the majority of snaps in a rotation.

RD. 7 - 234th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlQPb6kRcHUDFmmNDFgAo...g&usqp=CAU]

Bub Means - WR - Pitt - 6'2" 215

All you need to do is watch some film and interviews with young man and you will instantly like him as a prospect. Means originally had attended Tennessee but then transferred to La. Tech before winding up at Pitt where he quickly became their most productive receiving threat. He is a big bodied striding receiver who has the speed to threaten the backend of the defense and has the physicality to catch the ball in traffic. Means will need to prove that he can consistently complete targets to him but has a great upside for a late selection to top with being an outstanding young man.

RD. 7 - 251st Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiMeVrbm8z40EFBAaBHnu...w&usqp=CAU]

Jarius Monroe - CB - Tulane - 6'1" 204

After watching tape on Monroe I honestly believe he could be one of the most underrated cover corners in this draft and I believe that the Bengals see lightening strike twice with this selection just as they did with Ivey in '22. Monroe brings very good size, length, and speed to the position to go with very good ball skills. Monroe made the move to Tulane after three seasons with Nicholls State and showed quickly that the move up in competition level was not an issue at all. In his lone season at Tulane he produced 3 INTS and 8 passes defensed.

Monroe has good speed to go along with good coverage ability and ball skills. As well Monroe does not shy away from run support and is a very sound tackler. Overall, he should be another good young addition to the DB room for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 12:56 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I will continue to preach it and that is football must be won in the trenches. I would think that most would agree that the Bengals have struggled in this area on both sides of the ball. It may be more pronounced on the offensive side of the ball but to whin championships you have to control the line of scrimmage. I looked at FA options on the offensive line and to be brutally honest they are not great in '24. The two leading candidates at RT would have to be Trent Brown or Jermaine Eluemunor and with Brown, while he is a dominant force on the field, he seems to struggle with injuries and playing an entire season. With that said I would be welcome to either of these players coming in at RT in free agency.

However, we will not know that for many more weeks. So with the assumption that neither is with the Bengals I started looking at options other than having to select a RT in the first round while still greatly improving the trenches. As well, the draft stock for the RTs that had been projected in the Bengals range seems to have risen since the Senior Bowl. This could put the Bengals in a position to overdraft a player if they are looking at RT as a target. 

The following draft addresses the lines without going strictly RT in the first round. 

The Draft:

Unless you know something we all don't know Barton is currently a late 2nd round grade. So it's a waste to take him this early.
Reply/Quote
Well it would seem that you must not be keeping up very well. Every site I have seen has him going anywhere from 20 - 32 so apparently there are several that feel they know something that you do not.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/graham-barton

Quote:Current Draft Projection and Summary

On my 2024 NFL Draft board, Graham Barton grades as a top-50 prospect. He’s worth consideration late in Round 1 as a quality offensive line prospect at tackle, guard, and center.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/graham-barton-draft-scouting-2024/

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Prospect Projection[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Caliber[/color]

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/21/graham-barton-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024#google_vignette

Quote:OVERALL RANK: 26

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089332-graham-barton-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-duke-iol

These are just a few.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 12:56 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I will continue to preach it and that is football must be won in the trenches. I would think that most would agree that the Bengals have struggled in this area on both sides of the ball. It may be more pronounced on the offensive side of the ball but to whin championships you have to control the line of scrimmage. I looked at FA options on the offensive line and to be brutally honest they are not great in '24. The two leading candidates at RT would have to be Trent Brown or Jermaine Eluemunor and with Brown, while he is a dominant force on the field, he seems to struggle with injuries and playing an entire season. With that said I would be welcome to either of these players coming in at RT in free agency.

The Draft:

Possible, but it the end it should come down to what the Bengals draft board looks like since you also can be sure what be there at a later pick in 1st round. If someone is sitting there they have on their list at 18 or lower, you have to pick them.... if none are there at 18, maybe look to trade back but only if you have at least 3 options of what you would pick say at #28 not just one option.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 02:18 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well it would seem that you must not be keeping up very well. Every site I have seen has him going anywhere from 20 - 32 so apparently there are several that feel they know something that you do not.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/graham-barton

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/graham-barton-draft-scouting-2024/

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/21/graham-barton-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024#google_vignette

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089332-graham-barton-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-duke-iol

These are just a few.
Barton will be a guard in the NFL not a tackle regardless.  He has anchor issues on the edge and lacks strength and has short arms. He also has problems with speed to power. He does sustain blocks well and has good agility and quick feet. A perfect guard for a team that utilizes a zone scheme. Some also believe he could be an elite center.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 06:50 PM)pulses Wrote: Barton will be a guard in the NFL not a tackle regardless.  He has anchor issues on the edge and lacks strength and has short arms. He also has problems with speed to power. He does sustain blocks well and has good agility and quick feet. A perfect guard for a team that utilizes a zone scheme. Some also believe he could be an elite center.

I believe he will be an elite center and if I were a team drafting him that is where he would be working due to his elite football IQ and his ability to generate power off of the snap. He has great hips and flexibility and has a finishers mentality. He also does not have short arms but not elite in length more in the average range. Given all factors and his excellent physicality I really like him at center.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2024, 10:59 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe he will be an elite center and if I were a team drafting him that is where he would be working due to his elite football IQ and his ability to generate power off of the snap. He has great hips and flexibility and has a finishers mentality. He also does not have short arms but not elite in length more in the average range. Given all factors and his excellent physicality I really like him at center.
Yeah center is his meal ticket i believe.
Reply/Quote