Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Different Kind of Win
It felt like the Buffalo game was a different sort of win for this year's team, which is kind of encouraging to see. Three major things stood out.

1) A slower start. First game this season they didn't score first, I believe. I liked seeing them overcome some early adversity. They've overcome adversity this season, but never early, and to me, it's psychologically a different thing. With late game issues, you can remind yourself how you played well early to help get your mind back on track. Early game issues you only have your general sense of confidence to fall back on against the feeling that the other team might just have your number today.

2. Dalton proved his "just okay" game this year is still pretty freaking good. Andy didn't have the dead-eye, perfect game he's had in some games this year. He floated some throws, hung Sanu out to dry on one screen, this is a game that in years past was easily looking to turn into a Bad Andy game. It never sppiralled, though. He pulled himself together, made solid throws and good decisions despite not having his best stuff in terms of pure accuracy.

3. AJ Green - The Bill's focused on him, and he didn't get much in the way of yardage and catches. Like a star, though, he found other days to impact the game, taking pressure off of Eifert and MLJ, and throwing a great block on Jones' TD catch and run.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:17 AM)hitchopottimus Wrote: It felt like the Buffalo game was a different sort of win for this year's team, which is kind of encouraging to see. Three major things stood out.

1) A slower start. First game this season they didn't score first, I believe. I liked seeing them overcome some early adversity. They've overcome adversity this season, but never early, and to me, it's psychologically a different thing. With late game issues, you can remind yourself how you played well early to help get your mind back on track. Early game issues you only have your general sense of confidence to fall back on against the feeling that the other team might just have your number today.

2. Dalton proved his "just okay" game this year is still pretty freaking good. Andy didn't have the dead-eye, perfect game he's had in some games this year. He floated some throws, hung Sanu out to dry on one screen, this is a game that in years past was easily looking to turn into a Bad Andy game. It never sppiralled, though. He pulled himself together, made solid throws and good decisions despite not having his best stuff in terms of pure accuracy.

3. AJ Green - The Bill's focused on him, and he didn't get much in the way of yardage and catches. Like a star, though, he found other days to impact the game, taking pressure off of Eifert and MLJ, and throwing a great block on Jones' TD catch and run.

Good post!!!  I think all three of your points are right on.  I admit that I went back to my pessimistic ways with the way it started, but once we scored, you could sense the tide turning for us.  I know it did for me.  lol  Yep, Andy was still good and able to do what he needed to lead the team to a win.  It was great to see that even though AJ might not have been catching a ton of passes, he was still helping this team in other ways.  We have a lot of weapons and if the defense doesn't break, we will be hard to beat.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Seattle and Buffalo games I had as losses. The team proved something against the Legion of Boom and Rex Ryan. That's saying something. Eventually, some coach, somewhere, will come up with a scheme that matches what the Bengal offense has on the field.

Don't know who, when or how. But, someone will.
Reply/Quote
At that point, the Bengals D better step up - lol.

Right now, we are allowed to hide people who are having bad days or bad seasons, because there are multiple stars who can carry the team by themselves.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bellicheat will ... in the AFC Championship game (unfortunately, probably played in NE).
Reply/Quote
The Bills took away AJ, and we didn't sputter on offense. That's the difference between this years and last years team. Without AJ we looked lost, and relied heavily on Hill.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:17 AM)hitchopottimus Wrote: It felt like the Buffalo game was a different sort of win for this year's team, which is kind of encouraging to see. Three major things stood out.

How is a 115 QBR just okay?

AD did it when the other team took away AJ making his day more impressive.

Also, his deep pass to Jones was a thing of beauty and one heck of a play by Jones. The Bengals entire team is stepping up and helping make AD look great at times, but that does not take away what AD is accomplishing. He has been brilliant and add in yet another audible into a Gio run for his TD. AD is proving he may be Peyton Manning smart managing a game and that is impressive company to be even in this discussion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
A different win because most years, it was a position for Cincinnati to struggle. Instead, they posted their second most convincing win of the year.
Reply/Quote
I think a major difference between this team and most teams is that even the stars realize how talented this team is. They understand they aren't all going to get 10 targets and 100 yards a game and they're okay with that. They genuinely seem happy when the team scores, even if it wasn't them who did it. (Except AJ, he HATES Dalton... Ninja ) You don't see Green, Jones, Hill, Eifert, Gio, etc complainin they aren't getting enough touches. They all put in good blocks and get excited when someone else scores. I'm sure AJ and anyone else on the team would take less targets/yards if it meant the team winning. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The Bills took away AJ, and we didn't sputter on offense. That's the difference between this years and last years team. Without AJ we looked lost, and relied heavily on Hill.

The health of this team is extremely important.

When Eifert, Jones, Hill, Bernard, Green and the O-line are healthy, this team can put up 30 on anybody.

The bottom line is this - this team IS good enough to win the Super Bowl.  It will come down to how well they play.  If they play mistake free football and play to their strengths, they can and will beat anyone.
Reply/Quote
It wasn't until really late that I was able to see the highlights, but yes it seemed like an impressive win, especially with the 17 unanswered points.

There is a bye and the next game is against the Squealers. It would be important for them to keep focus and avoid coming out flat after the bye.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 11:33 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The health of this team is extremely important.

When Eifert, Jones, Hill, Bernard, Green and the O-line are healthy, this team can put up 30 on anybody.

The bottom line is this - this team IS good enough to win the Super Bowl.  It will come down to how well they play.  If they play mistake free football and play to their strengths, they can and will beat anyone.

I agree with all but one part.

In the past the margin of error was slight so any mistake was magnified. This team is proving they can make mistakes and overcome them. I can't recall any team playing perfect games in the playoffs all the way to the Super Bowl, mistakes will be made as  they are human and the other teams are pros also, I feel we are better equipped than ever to overcome.

The Seahawks and Ravens games both proved it. The great thing was the Seattle game, our defense regrouped and shut down the Hawks which allowed the offense to get us back into the game. The offense overcame defensive TD's (does not get much worse than that for adversity) and we won anyway.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The weapons are quit ridiculous. Marvin Jones is probably going to get paid by a team next year to be a low end #1 or a high end #2, Sanu can be a good #2 or a very good #3, Eifert and AJ are in the top 5 of their positions. Then you add in a running game that, while one back isn't a dominate force, between the two of account for a top 10 rushing attack and you have a force.

Teams will have to dominate our line to have a chance to win, or they will need to confuse Dalton. I am not sure either are likely to happen this year. We will have off games, and we won't go 16-0, but I think they have shown they are far more likely to have good days than bad at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:34 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Seattle and Buffalo games I had as losses.  The team proved something against the Legion of Boom and Rex Ryan.  That's saying something.  Eventually, some coach, somewhere, will come up with a scheme that matches what the Bengal offense has on the field.

Don't know who, when or how.  But, someone will.

I'm not so sure about that.  We are seeing very quickly how much we missed Jones and eifert last year.  with the backfield we have and all the top receiving targets healthy, I'm not sure theres a defense that can keep up.  Its a numbers game, too many playmakers for one defense to account for.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
It's different because it looked like the Flying Wallendas out there! Sheesh! JHill and MJones might as well be wearing these:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mc8b77e318c8e32f7efe8330678a70...=300&h=300]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:52 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The Bills took away AJ, and we didn't sputter on offense. That's the difference between this years and last years team. Without AJ we looked lost, and relied heavily on Hill.

This is exactly it right here. How many times have we watched this team fold when the opposing team bracket covers, and takes away AJ. This year's team is different because the "pick your poison" mindset is there. Fortunately we have a lot of poison to Dole out. 

If this team stays healthy we can beat anyone and be the favorites to do so.  The league is officially on notice now. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 11:26 AM)Sweetness Wrote: I think a major difference between this team and most teams is that even the stars realize how talented this team is. They understand they aren't all going to get 10 targets and 100 yards a game and they're okay with that. They genuinely seem happy when the team scores, even if it wasn't them who did it. (Except AJ, he HATES Dalton... Ninja ) You don't see Green, Jones, Hill, Eifert, Gio, etc complainin they aren't getting enough touches. They all put in good blocks and get excited when someone else scores. I'm sure AJ and anyone else on the team would take less targets/yards if it meant the team winning. 

Side note: Is Sanu not the best 'cheerleader' on this team? Guy is pumped anytime anyone scores or makes a play. I love the support he gives to the team and his teammates. It's what makes him such a great blocker I think. He just wants to win.

Also. Don't forget Goldylocks. Hewitt is the unsung badass of this team.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 10:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How is a 115 QBR just okay?

AD did it when the other team took away AJ making his day more impressive.

Also, his deep pass to Jones was a thing of beauty and one heck of a play by Jones. The Bengals entire team is stepping up and helping make AD look great at times, but that does not take away what AD is accomplishing. He has been brilliant and add in yet another audible into a Gio run for his TD. AD is proving he may be Peyton Manning smart managing a game and that is impressive company to be even in this discussion.

I would not yet put him in the Manning category for his ability to audible and manage a game, but I do agree with your question about a 115 QBR only being okay... completing 66% of your passes, for three touchdowns and 250 yards is much more than simply okay.  The guy played very well, and the team was up by 20 points going into the fourth quarter.  Hard to complain about a day like that.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 01:12 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would not yet put him in the Manning category for his ability to audible and manage a game, but I do agree with your question about a 115 QBR only being okay... completing 66% of your passes, for three touchdowns and 250 yards is much more than simply okay.  The guy played very well, and the team was up by 20 points going into the fourth quarter.  Hard to complain about a day like that.

I agree and did not say he was Manning execution.

But, I think he may be someday as continues to gain experience. The truly smart QB's have a knack of getting out of bad plays and in some cases hitting homeruns.

He has hit a lot of homeruns in his career already in 4+ years so while not Manning results just yet, he is one of the few guys in the league right now with that potential in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 01:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and did not say he was Manning execution.

But, I think he may be someday as continues to gain experience. The truly smart QB's have a knack of getting out of bad plays and in some cases hitting homeruns.

He has hit a lot of homeruns in his career already in 4+ years so while not Manning results just yet, he is one of the few guys in the league right now with that potential in my opinion.

I have always been a doubter of Dalton, but really like the way he is playing this year.  To me, he looks like a different guy out there.  The play with the bad snap yesterday really highlighted this for me.  Not only did he chuck the ball at the referee in disgust, but he turned and looked like he really let Bodine hear about it.  I don't know that he would have done that in previous years.  I am really hoping that we get to see at least a few more years of what he and Hue can do together.
Reply/Quote