Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Football Life: Chad Johnson
(09-28-2016, 10:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Carson Palmer to Chad Johnson.

Ken Anderson to Isaac Curtis.

Andy Dalton to AJ Green.

Just amazing.  Timeless.  Classic.

And
[Image: carl-pickens-jeff-blake-bengals.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 05:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I really wish he would have stayed Chad Johnson.  I always felt like once "Ochocinco" showed up that he went down hill.  He got caught up in reality television and all the dating shows.  If he just could have stayed focused on football, who knows what could have been... I hoped he would last with New England and get a ring or two.
His "Hall of Fame 20xx?" chances died as soon as he concentrated on the touchdown celebrations that came all too infrequently.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 10:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Carson Palmer to Chad Johnson.

Ken Anderson to Isaac Curtis.

Andy Dalton to AJ Green.

Just amazing.  Timeless.  Classic.

Ahem. Jumbrotron beat me to it, but Blake to Pickens was a fantastic combo. Not their fault the defense was usually worst in the league.

(09-28-2016, 10:21 PM)jason Wrote: Oh come on... You saw one last year.

It's just that normally that feeling lasts longer than 90 seconds.

Yeah, I got to have that feeling for about a minute before it was ripped away in oh-so-Bengal fashion.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 10:21 PM)jason Wrote: Oh come on... You saw one last year.

It's just that normally that feeling lasts longer than 90 seconds.

I just want to forget that game honestly. Why does our QB get hurt the years I think we will win it all... I just hope I see the Bengals win a SB before I die. In hoping it's multiple wins, but I think we will have to see some coaching changes before that happens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 04:50 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I just want to forget that game honestly. Why does our QB get hurt the years I think we will win it all... I just hope I see the Bengals win a SB before I die. In hoping it's multiple wins, but I think we will have to see some coaching changes before that happens.

Dude, this is really sad... don't I remember from another thread that you are about 30?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 05:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals have 5 total playoff victories across 48 seasons, all of which came in 2 seasons. That's a lot of great players going unappreciated. Well I guess if you weren't on the '81 or '88 teams, then phooey on you!

3 seasons. As was alluded to earlier, 5 playoff wins in 2 seasons would have made for a Super Bowl trophy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 11:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: 3 seasons.  As was alluded to earlier, 5 playoff wins in 2 seasons would have made for a Super Bowl trophy.

Yeah, I forgot about the Bo Jackson game. Probably better off forgetting that one anyway.

So yeah..I guess now we're allowed to honor players from 3 different teams: '81, '88 and '90. Unless of course the player has ripped the team at any point.

So I guess that means we can honor Munoz and maybe Fulcher and Ickey? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 07:04 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'll be watching.

"A Football Liffe" has been on for a few years now and it wasn't until recently that they did one on Paul Brown, which I watched and enjoyed.

I remember when the show first aired and was thinking "Tebow? REALLY? TE...BOW?"

What amazed me was that Belichick and Lombardi got a part 1 and part 2 stories. I feel like PB should've had a 2-part special like them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 11:39 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Dude, this is really sad... don't I remember from another thread that you are about 30?

I'll be 28 at the end of January.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 10:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A 30 for 30 about Chad Johnson? Don't they know he wasn't any good and nobody cares about that guy? Just ask half the people on here.  Mellow

Maybe they should make a 30 for 30 about Isaac Curtis instead.

Isaac Curtis changed the way the game is played while Chad changed his name. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 12:44 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Isaac Curtis changed the way the game is played while Chad changed his name. 

Well aside from the whole name change thing, he also did the following:

- Was the MVP of the teams that led this franchise out of the abyss
- 6x Pro Bowler
- 3x All-Pro
- Shattered all relevant career and single game Bengals receiving records
- 4x conference leader in receiving
- was superior to Curtis when compared to peers (more times top 10 in catches and yards...by far)

I respect Curtis. He was our all-time leader in receiving for a lot of years (Pickens would've broken his records had we kept him around for another year) and he was a part of some successful Bengals teams. I also respect Chad for what he accomplished. 

I just think it's unfortunate that so many Bengals fans hold so much bitterness towards Chad when the good by far outweighs the bad. It seems like it's that way with so many of our former greats. Outside of the SB teams of course.
Reply/Quote
It was interesting show which they went into depth more on the 2009 season. To me that was his and Carson  best year even if the numbers don't really show it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know if there is anywhere online you can watch it?

WHO DEY!!!
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 02:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well aside from the whole name change thing, he also did the following:

- Was the MVP of the teams that led this franchise out of the abyss
- 6x Pro Bowler
- 4x 1st team All-Pro
- Shattered all relevant career and single game Bengals receiving records
- 4x conference leader in receiving
- was superior to Curtis when compared to peers (more times top 10 in catches and yards...by far)

I respect Curtis. He was our all-time leader in receiving for a lot of years (Pickens would've broken his records had we kept him around for another year) and he was a part of some successful Bengals teams. I also respect Chad for what he accomplished. 

I just think it's unfortunate that so many Bengals fans hold so much bitterness towards Chad when the good by far outweighs the bad. It seems like it's that way with so many of our former greats. Outside of the SB teams of course.

Chad brought this on himself.

He was adored until fighting coach in locker room of playoff game Bengals were winning just because he was not getting the ball enough, demanding trade, and changing name and going overboard with "look at me" antics. 

Chad was a very good receiver, but not great in the grand scheme of things when history finally unfolded. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Chad brought this on himself.

He was adored until fighting coach in locker room of playoff game Bengals were winning just because he was not getting the ball enough, demanding trade, and changing name and going overboard with "look at me" antics. 

Chad was a very good receiver, but not great in the grand scheme of things when history finally unfolded. 

Meh. Both the halftime incident (which none of us know what actually happened) and the trade demand can both be traced back to Chad's desire to win. All the best WRs want the ball in their hands. It wasn't like Chad wanted to selfishly pad his playoff stats or something ridiculous. Chad wanted the ball because it was obvious to anyone watching that our 17-14 lead was tedious at best. Chad was our star player and best chance. He wanted to carry the team in a down moment.

As far as the trade demand. I doubt I can still find the old article buried on bengals.com, but Chad was quoted saying he was upset that the FO wasn't pursuing FA help for the defense, which was pretty awful at the time. I can't say I blame him for being upset. The defense had been bad for around 15 years at that point, and it was holding back a good offense.

I can't really defend all the silly stuff he did at the end (gator wrestling, dancing with the stars, etc). Some of it was annoying. That said, almost all of it happened during the offseason. Nobody batted an eyelash when Hines danced with the stars. Chad's "reality show" was simply a half hour talk show that was no different than AJ Hawk's podcast. Was it really as toxic as people claimed? Doubtful.

To sum this up, I think people who still hate Chad, probably hate most of our former stars. Most of our big names wanted out at some point. Even Boomer and Munoz. The folks who hate Chad have minimized his accomplishments and exaggerated his negative impact on the team. Pretty much pinning all of the disappointment of the 2005-2010 teams on 1 player for convenience. Those teams had a plethora of reasons why they never completely broke through. Namely a poor defense and weak run game. Chad was just a convenient fall-guy.
Reply/Quote
His JuCo coach summed it up best for me....Chad Johnson was one of the best ever, Chad Ochocinco.....not so much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Both the halftime incident (which none of us know what actually happened) and the trade demand can both be traced back to Chad's desire to win. All the best WRs want the ball in their hands. It wasn't like Chad wanted to selfishly pad his playoff stats or something ridiculous. Chad wanted the ball because it was obvious to anyone watching that our 17-14 lead was tedious at best. Chad was our star player and best chance. He wanted to carry the team in a down moment.

As far as the trade demand. I doubt I can still find the old article buried on bengals.com, but Chad was quoted saying he was upset that the FO wasn't pursuing FA help for the defense, which was pretty awful at the time. I can't say I blame him for being upset. The defense had been bad for around 15 years at that point, and it was holding back a good offense.

I can't really defend all the silly stuff he did at the end (gator wrestling, dancing with the stars, etc). Some of it was annoying. That said, almost all of it happened during the offseason. Nobody batted an eyelash when Hines danced with the stars. Chad's "reality show" was simply a half hour talk show that was no different than AJ Hawk's podcast. Was it really as toxic as people claimed? Doubtful.

To sum this up, I think people who still hate Chad, probably hate most of our former stars. Most of our big names wanted out at some point. Even Boomer and Munoz. The folks who hate Chad have minimized his accomplishments and exaggerated his negative impact on the team. Pretty much pinning all of the disappointment of the 2005-2010 teams on 1 player for convenience. Those teams had a plethora of reasons why they never completely broke through. Namely a poor defense and weak run game. Chad was just a convenient fall-guy.

Dancing with the Stars was sort of the "in" thing to do at that point, and it was believed that is actually helped you stay in shape.  Not to mention the deposit to your bank account.  The VH1 reality shows were corny and dumb. Then you throw in the relationship with Evelyn Lozada (beyond gorgeous) and I think he began to get a little caught up in television and thinking he could become a star.

As far as demanding a trade.  Prior to this current batch of players, who live under far less Mike Brown control, who hasn't wanted out?  You're Chad Johnson, one of the most skilled players in the league, and you are languishing on a team with a very good offense, but a terrible defense.  A team led by a supposed defensive mastermind (I never understood how the defenses were not better until Zimmer got here).  It's also a team with an incredibly cheap owner and a reputation for losing.  Honestly, who would not get tired of it?  Eventually I would think "let me out of here so I can go win something somewhere else during these precious few years I have left".  I have said before that I always hoped he would have stuck with New England so that he could have tasted success.

Chad Johnson, not Ocho Cinco, put Cincinnati back on the map.  He made the highlight reels and reminded people there was still a football team known as the Bengals.  For that, the franchise owes him a debt of gratitude.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Chad brought this on himself.

(10-03-2016, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Both the halftime incident (which none of us know what actually happened) and the trade demand can both be traced back to Chad's desire to win. All the best WRs want the ball in their hands. It wasn't like Chad wanted to selfishly pad his playoff stats or something ridiculous. Chad wanted the ball because it was obvious to anyone watching that our 17-14 lead was tedious at best. Chad was our star player and best chance. He wanted to carry the team in a down moment.

Chad and Hue both confirmed there was no fight during the AFL show. Chad was getting an IV, went off verbally in general and tore his IV out in the process causing it to bleed.

Reporters outside the locker room heard the ruckus, saw the blood and assumed there was a fight.

Marv, Chad and Hue all laughed at the idea of Chad fighting anyone.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 02:17 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Dancing with the Stars was sort of the "in" thing to do at that point, and it was believed that is actually helped you stay in shape.  Not to mention the deposit to your bank account.  The VH1 reality shows were corny and dumb.  Then you throw in the relationship with Evelyn Lozada (beyond gorgeous) and I think he began to get a little caught up in television and thinking he could become a star.

As far as demanding a trade.  Prior to this current batch of players, who live under far less Mike Brown control, who hasn't wanted out?  You're Chad Johnson, one of the most skilled players in the league, and you are languishing on a team with a very good offense, but a terrible defense.  A team led by a supposed defensive mastermind (I never understood how the defenses were not better until Zimmer got here).  It's also a team with an incredibly cheap owner and a reputation for losing.  Honestly, who would not get tired of it?  Eventually I would think "let me out of here so I can go win something somewhere else during these precious few years I have left".  I have said before that I always hoped he would have stuck with New England so that he could have tasted success.

Chad Johnson, not Ocho Cinco, put Cincinnati back on the map.  He made the highlight reels and reminded people there was still a football team known as the Bengals.  For that, the franchise owes him a debt of gratitude.

He could have, if Brady didn't need his receivers to be at a precise location at a precise time in order to succeed.  Chad liked to ad lib, which makes me a little bit impressed by Palmer, looking back.  He had to hit "a moving target", Brady couldn't do it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Chad helped make us relevant again. Then he took it too far and lost his mojo. We recovered. He hasn't.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote