Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A J Green and Antonio Bryant
(01-27-2020, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he wanted to hold out then he would have been placed on IR much earlier also.

It makes absolutely no sense for Green to intentionally refuse to play because if he did then that cost him millions of dollars.  The worst thing a player can do in a contract year is get injured and then have the recovery go so badly wrong that he does not play all year.

If he could have played even one game he would have because it would have made him millions of dollars on his upcoming contract.

AJ Green did not lose out on millions. There is plenty of tape of AJ Green everyone knows who he is...

All he has to do for the upcoming Free Agency is visit teams, do his medical checks, and some on field drills.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:20 PM)Synric Wrote: AJ Green did not lose out on millions. There is plenty of tape of AJ Green everyone knows who he is...

All he has to do for the upcoming Free Agency is visit teams, do his medical checks, and so some on field drills.

There is also lots of tape showing how great Andrew Luck is.

So why aren't teams trying to sign him?

How much guaranteed money do you predict Green gets in his contract this offseason?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is also lots of tape showing how great Andrew Luck is.

So why aren't teams trying to sign him?

Cuz Luck said he was still hurt and retired.

AJ Green literally said I'm done with my rehab, I wont take alot of time off, then get back to work. The day after the Browns game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Cuz Luck said he was still hurt and retired.

AJ Green literally said I'm done with my rehab, I wont take alot of time off, then get back to work. The day after the Browns game.

I am not sure what your point is.  

First of all at the end of the 2018 season Luck said exactly the same thing Green said at the end of this season "I'll be healthy enough to return next season."  So no difference there.

Second of all, if Green was lying for the entire season then why would you believe what he said at the end of the season?

Not playing cost him millions of dollars.  He has no motive to intentionally sit out claiming he is not healthy enough to play when he really was.  All that does is make his situation look worse than if he was able to play.

Just answer my question.  How much guaranteed money do you predict Green gets in his upcoming contract?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 01:39 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Totally agree as much as I admire AJ.

There are much bigger needs on team at o line and LBs. 

The Brown family is totally nuts if they draft Burrow and don't address the other major problems.
But if they let AJ walk, that's another huge hole to fill...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  Bryant was playing the last 7 games of the '09 season.  How could you say his injury was worse when Green could not play a single game?
Fred, I'm not singling you out, but your post seemed most relevant.

I like AJ and would like to see him return. TBS, IMHO, I'm not real sure AJ was as hurt as he let on. If they were winning games and the "team temperature" was a whole lot better. I think we'd have seen AJ play after the bye.

Frankly, knowing this was a contract year and everything around him was going to hell in a handbasket, this injury was AJ's perfect way of holding out (Le'veon Bell) without holding out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if it wasn't that bad why wasn't he on the field for the last year +

The only thing I will say to that is that he was on the field until that practice on the shitty field in Dayton??  Then he hurt it again.

I truly think he could have played the last few weeks if we were in the hunt for a playoff spot.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:04 PM)Synric Wrote: It was a hold out.

The day after the last game Green announced he was done with his rehab, wasnt going to take much time off, then get back to work.

It was not a severe injury if it was he would have been put on IR before week 17. 

Not hard to comprehend.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:20 PM)Synric Wrote: AJ Green did not lose out on millions. There is plenty of tape of AJ Green everyone knows who he is...

All he has to do for the upcoming Free Agency is visit teams, do his medical checks, and some on field drills.

And be healthy. Wouldn't of been smart of AJ to play when we were done anyway.

(01-27-2020, 08:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only thing I will say to that is that he was on the field until that practice on the shitty field in Dayton??  Then he hurt it again.

I truly think he could have played the last few weeks if we were in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Yes sir.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 08:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only thing I will say to that is that he was on the field until that practice on the shitty field in Dayton??  Then he hurt it again.

Yeah that Shitty field jumped up and made Dre roll on AJ's ankle. We need a team exorcist to prevent this from ever happening again. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 12:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think a one year "prove it" deal would be fair.  Even a fairly high salary would be fine, but I wouldn't want to get stuck for three years and eat a large signing bonus.

It will either be the franchise tag for one year, or a multi-year deal with incentives.  No way AJ signs a one-year deal for less than the franchise tag...That IS a "prove it" deal.  

Honestly, if Tom Brady doesn't retire, and the Pats offer a player and their first round pick, I might listen.  I have kind of grown weary of waiting for the AJ Green that we used to have...
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not only did they see Bryant run, but they saw him have 100 yard receiving games.  On the other hand Green could not even play.

Green could've played if he wanted to though, and if we were in the playoff hunt Im sure he would've. He held out because there was no saving the season. He had a minor surgery to drain fluid from his ankle didnt he? Bryant lost cartilage in his knee, which is pretty yuck in comparison.

AJ will be fully healthy for whoever he plays for and I expect him to have a big year. It doesnt have to be us, but he's going to be ready to play lights out imo. I do agree we cant overpay him though. I guess it will be up to him when we offer him. Im not a fan of tagging him, but I like the 3 year deal with incentives.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 10:52 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Green could've played if he wanted to though, and if we were in the playoff hunt Im sure he would've. He held out because there was no saving the season. He had a minor surgery to drain fluid from his ankle didnt he? Bryant lost cartilage in his knee, which is pretty yuck in comparison.

AJ will be fully healthy for whoever he plays for and I expect him to have a big year. It doesnt have to be us, but he's going to be ready to play lights out imo. I do agree we cant overpay him though. I guess it will be up to him when we offer him. Im not a fan of tagging him, but I like the 3 year deal with incentives.

I would be ok with them signing him but only to a contract that pays him the 18 mil up front and gives the team a option for2021. If AJ wants to be here that would be more than fair. MB is probably the only one who will give him 18mil after all his injury concerns.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 08:18 PM)JSR18 Wrote:  this injury was AJ's perfect way of holding out (Le'veon Bell) without holding out...

(01-27-2020, 10:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not hard to comprehend.

Again, you are all missing the main point.  A hold out does not hurt a players contract because teams know he is healthy enought to play.

Green was not healthy enough to play.  You are all just pretending that is true because you think it is true.  

Green not showing that he was healthy enough to play cost him millions of dollars.  He would not be stupid enough to do that on purpose.

So, again, how much guaranteed money do you think Green will get as a WR at age 32 who has missed a year and a half with injury?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So, again, how much guaranteed money do you think Green will get as a WR at age 32 who has missed a year and a half with injury?

Again , how much would he get if he came back and reinjured himself? The chance of being injured or coming back with Dalton as QB and tearing it up were not a guarantee of him getting more than 18 mil so he sat out the second half of the season IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 01:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Again , how much would he get if he came back and reinjured himself? 

The exact same amount as he will now because he is in the exact same position.  He could not play due to injury.

So by coming back to play he had plenty to gain by proving he was recovered and healthy and nothing to lose because he is already out with an injury.  It could have gotten better for him, but not worse. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The exact same amount as he will now because he is in the exact same position.  He could not play due to injury.

So by coming back to play he had plenty to gain by proving he was recovered and healthy and nothing to lose because he is already out with an injury.  It could have gotten better for him, but not worse. 

Disagree, if AJ came back and re-injured himself he would of hurt his stock way more than not playing at all.

He should be completely 100% by now and teams will offer him a decent contract with incentives.

Honestly kind of hope it is us if he is 100%. Think he is still a very special WR with great drive and with Burrow he might thrive if 
he can stay healthy here next season. We just need to shore up the O-line with a FA O-lineman so Burrow has time to find him.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The exact same amount as he will now because he is in the exact same position.  He could not play due to injury.

Lets put it in terms you might understand. You own a car and it is wrecked. The repairs are done but it has still not been driven since the repair. Then someone drives it and wrecks it again . Then you try again to sell it but it is still wrecked. In your scenario they both have the same value although on has been repaired and one is wrecked. Damaged goods are always worth less.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 04:00 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Lets put it in terms you might understand. You own a car and it is wrecked. The repairs are done but it has still not been driven since the repair. Then someone drives it and wrecks it again . Then you try again to sell it but it is still wrecked. In your scenario they both have the same value although on has been repaired and one is wrecked. Damaged goods are always worth less.

False equivalency.

Say I wreck my car and try to sell it to you.  You say "Let me drive it so I know it is fixed".  I say "No you can't drive it to see if it is fixed. I can't take the chance that you might wreck it."  

You actually think you will get the same price for the car by refusing to let the buyer drive it as you would if you let him drive it?

This whole theory that Green was fine is just something fans made up in their heads.  There are no facts to support.  There is no logic to support it.  Some fans just want to believe it so they pretend it is true.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: False equivalency.

Say I wreck my car and try to sell it to you.  You say "Let me drive it so I know it is fixed".  I say "No you can't drive it to see if it is fixed. I can't take the chance that you might wreck it."  

You actually think you will get the same price for the car by refusing to let the buyer drive it as you would if you let him drive it?

This whole theory that Green was fine is just something fans made up in their heads.  There are no facts to support.  There is no logic to support it.  Some fans just want to believe it so they pretend it is true.

If I let you drive it and you wreck it I know I won't . Sheesh…...
Reply/Quote