Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things Bengals Fans have been conditioned to believe by following the team for years
(01-18-2017, 03:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: This!!

(For the fans in here that this applies);  I know you can't win a championship without winning all the playoff games in that particular season!!  But you're right BleedNOrange!!

Many here act like playoff wins mean something!

From 1995-2016:

Team           Playoff Appearances      Lombardis
Patriots          17                                   4
Packers          17                                   2
Colts              16                                   1
Steelers          14                                   2
Broncos          12                                   1
Eagles            12                                   0
Seahawks       11                                   1
Ravens           10                                   2
Cowboys         10                                   0
Vikings           10                                   0
Giants              9                                   2
49ers               9                                   0
Falcons            9                                   0
Dolphins          8                                   0
Chiefs             8                                    0

Buccaneers      7                                   1
Panthers         7                                    0
Jets                7                                    0
Chargers         7                                    0
Bengals          7                                     0
Saints            6                                     1
Titans            6                                     0
Jaguars          6                                     0
Lions             6                                     0
Rams            5                                     1
Redskins       5                                     0
Bills              4                                     0
Raiders         4                                     0
Texans         4                                     0
Cards           4                                     0
Bears           4                                     0
Browns         1                                     0

Bengals are appropriately colored in orange, bold, italicized, and underlined.

All teams in black have won a SB or more, from 1995-2016.

All teams in red have made more playoff appearances than the Bengals with no SB championships from 1995-2016.

All teams in blue are teams with less playoff appearances than the Bengals with no SB championships from 1995-2016.

All team in BOLD are teams that have never won a SB!  

All of this to show how pointless playoff game wins are and how many playoff appearances, in the last 20 years, does it take to qualify for consistency??   15? (3 teams)  Double digits?  (10 teams)  What???

I find it very interesting that 20 other teams, beside the Bengals, have not won a SB in the last 20 years.

Also, I find it interesting that 13 of those 20 teams have NEVER won a Super Bowl and 7 of those 13 teams have been around longer than the Bengals. (Bears 1920, Eagles 1933, Lions 1934, Bills and Vikings 1960, Chargers 1961, Falcons 1965).

What about seasonal wins/losses?  (This is just for the folks that think playoff wins actually mean something!!)

If the above bolded are teams that have never won a Super Bowl, why are the Bears bolded?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Another thing Bengals fans sometimes do is compare us to the absolute worst in the NFL. "Atleast we're not the Browns." They typically do this when it gets pointed out that we haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 02:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: There's no accountability anywhere in the organization. We'll never win anything of importance because there's just no pressure to. It starts from the top. It is what it is. That's one thing no matter how many free agents etc we sign, without accountability it's easy to become bengalized.

No accountability = no championships (or playoff wins).

[Image: hammer_nail.jpg~c200]

Until the culture is changed nothing is going to change. The expectations just aren't truly there. Mike Brown has created a monster of epic proportions here, he's made it ok to be ok !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the above bolded are teams that have never won a Super Bowl, why are the Bears bolded?

Good catch, forgot about the defensive masterpiece Ditka put together via Buddy Ryan.  I will amend.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Another thing Bengals fans sometimes do is compare us to the absolute worst in the NFL. "Atleast we're not the Browns." They typically do this when it gets pointed out that we haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years.

It's all about brain washing! Mikey likes that so he can continue to make bad choices and not wobble the status quo. PATHETIC!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 10:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've noticed that some fans think there is some conspiracy holding some teams down. I do think calls go in favor of some teams more than others...

But, in the Chiefs vs KC game - The Steelers dominated EVERY statistical category. Bell had 170 yards rushing, Ware like 35. etc.

From following the Bengals, fans get used to seeing a team outplayed statistically...but remain close in games and well...if they get that critical call at the end of a game they can still win! Well the reality is that generally the team that dominates statistically usually wins. Most NFL games aren't 20 point blowouts...so yeah if 1 or 2 plays turn in favor of the other team...it would steer the game...so fans focus on those. But, if you want to win...dominate a game statistically.

I'll definitely agree with this one because my college team is mired in the same mediocrity and our fans say the same thing about the NCAA favoring the blue bloods or whatever.   

The real truth is that most everyone wants to see the new guy or the underdog win.  It's good for the business and it keeps things unpredictable.  I can remember plenty of times when the Bengal's were the top ranked team with their record on Tuesday's NFL power rankings.  I even remember heading into that 2006 Patriots game when they had the 3-0 record how there was an article that was on nfl.com about how that game was going to represent the transition of one dynasty to another.  Excitement was in the air and the pundits wanted us to win that one.  Phil Simms and Jim Nantz get an undeservedly bad rep around here to.  I thought they sounded more pissed about how the team unraveled in the playoff game as opposed to actually being happy that Pitt won.  I'll agree about Dan Fouts though.  He just sucks.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:02 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I'll definitely agree with this one because my college team is mired in the same mediocrity and our fans say the same thing about the NCAA favoring the blue bloods or whatever.   

The real truth is that most everyone wants to see the new guy or the underdog win.  It's good for the business and it keeps things unpredictable.  I can remember plenty of times when the Bengal's were the top ranked team with their record on Tuesday's NFL power rankings.  I even remember heading into that 2006 Patriots game when they had the 3-0 record how there was an article that was on nfl.com about how that game was going to represent the transition of one dynasty to another.  Excitement was in the air and the pundits wanted us to win that one.  Phil Simms and Jim Nantz get an undeservedly bad rep around here to.  I thought they sounded more pissed about how the team unraveled in the playoff game as opposed to actually being happy that Pitt won.  I'll agree about Dan Fouts though.  He just sucks.

Agreed. The NFL is about parity. They want every city to have a competitive team. They don't want teams to be bad for 20 years. Since we've last won a playoff game...most teams have generally won 5-18 playoff games.

If there was a conspiracy, there would be a lot more teams with a smaller amount. Also, deflategate wouldn't have been publicized.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 02:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: There's no accountability anywhere in the organization. We'll never win anything of importance because there's just no pressure to. It starts from the top. It is what it is. That's one thing no matter how many free agents etc we sign, without accountability it's easy to become bengalized.

No accountability = no championships (or playoff wins).

This pretty much sums it up.

Used to have no accountability for behaviour. Know have no accountability for play. Mauluaga and Mike Johnson are proof that deteriorating play doesn't cost you.  

Mauluaga shows up out of shape at training camp and then plays crap all year. If that doesn't get you released not sure what it will take. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:11 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Exactly!

It amazes me how many people think winning a playoff game is some monumental achievement.  It has become our super bowl.  Just pathetic really.

Here's another thing that a lot of Bengal fans believe....
Any change is bad because we could revert to the 90's again.
-OR-
It's ok that we haven't had any postseason success because at least it's not the 90's.

It's crazy how much I hear the 90's referenced and the fear of going back there.

This franchise is just afraid to take that next step. Yet I ask, are we not in the 90's still. What has this team done? Even when we made the playoffs its always been a wildcard game with Marvin. Just take the next step Mike, dont be scurred.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 04:31 AM)TKUHL Wrote: This franchise is just afraid to take that next step. Yet I ask, are we not in the 90's still. What has this team done? Even when we made the playoffs its always been a wildcard game with Marvin. Just take the next step Mike, dont be scurred.

Unfortunately, with age and attrition due to losses in free agency...the next step will likely be backwards. It's going to take some time to rebuild the roster to a playoff team.

IF Zeitler leaves...our line is going to have massive holes...and that's even if Whitworth stays.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: Look how many people followed the Cubs and Redsox despite having not winning world series championships for over 100 years or damned close. Most people just don't follow the statistical stuff enough to care. It's their team from craddle to grave and  little changes regardless of win and loss records.
You can point all the stats out till you're vocal cords fall out,  but the bottom line is people generally pick a team and pretty much stick with them in good times and bad. If you really want a say so on how the team is run its simple. Become a billionaire and buy the team or go back in time when you could get a franchise for the cost of a new house. Nothing complicated about this now is there?
I still like crunchy foods despite the fact that I don't have any teeth just like I still like the Bengals despite the fact that they're probably never going to win a championship in my lifetime. And I still like 15 year old girls despite the fact that I'm 57 and would go to prison if I did the things I'd like to do with them. 
I dont think i would be announcing that ...its pretty weird
Reply/Quote
We have conditioned ourselves to playing mediocre in regards to playoffs! Besides, I could care less about other team stats!  I'm a BENGALS FAN and my stats relate to them! I'd like to see us make and win the playoffs every year, but I know that nearly impossible. This team has been in existence since 1968 almost fifty years and we went to the Super Bowl what twice? Which tells me somebody in this organization cared enough to put a winning team on the field that wanted us to win! Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: Look how many people followed the Cubs and Redsox despite having not winning world series championships for over 100 years or damned close. 

I worked for the Cubs right before they broke the bank for Theo Epstein (who was the guy who snapped the Red Sox's championship drought, fyi) and we went from literally giving tickets away (because it looks bad on TV when you see the outfield bleachers are empty any time a ball leaves the infield) to being overrun with fans within a few years.  The whole "lovable losers" thing really started to take a hit when the White Sox won in 2005 and the Cubs started to look like the team you root for if you have absolutely no regard for what is on the field and just want to get drunk and arrested.

Anyways, the Cubs broke the bank and got the hottest GM and one of the hottest HC's (well, manager in this sense) to give the world title a shot.  The Bengals aren't changing a thing, much less going for THE guys to get at the highest positions.  As for me, I have a sweet knockoff cheap-o championship ring heading my way for my troubles.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 05:00 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I dont think i would be announcing that ...its pretty weird

I know, right?  He openly admits liking crunchy food.  Freak.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 10:31 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: I know, right?  He openly admits liking crunchy food.  Freak.  

That must be rough gummin crunchy food. Sounds like Grampahol works in the circus.
Reply/Quote
The fact that our team has typically had winning regular season records lately.

We should all be content and hang our hat on it.

Yet they have almost record breaking futility in the playoffs.

Why should we be happy to be asked to the dance...  only to be left standing alone?

The only thing more humiliating than being dead last in the league is to make it to post season and look like chumps.

What's worse?  Going stag...  or being asked and stood up?

This analogy is brought to you by Grampahol's teen fantasy.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mcfd50737a6eea3e3f1974ce510d6a...=255&h=171]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:51 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This analogy is brought to you by Grampahol's teen fantasy.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mcfd50737a6eea3e3f1974ce510d6a...=255&h=171]

Creeping out honest, God-fearing Americans since 19 and 74.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote