Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Letter To Cris Collinsworth
I came to this site tonight to see what updates I might be able to catch up on, but instead I feel like I wasted a couple minutes of my life reading that original post.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ve always found Collinsworth to be pretty obnoxious, but man did you go full on Karen with this one. :lol:

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 08:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I did find it weird that he fawned over and showed bias for Kenny Pickett's 18/31 1td performance

and yet, he was pretty neutral on a Burrow performance that was better

I know for a fact these analysts are pretty much slaves to their producers. The producers give them the rundown on who to pump up, and who not to

You thought the Pat Mahomes comparison was too much??

I have 0 idea why he fawns over the Steelers so much

But he's all Bengal:

[Image: FmZi2ZQacAAKZSy?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I mean I’ve been critical of him, but what was he supposed to say? Tirico was killing that call. His job to is break plays down in between and give occasional color comments during, but he would have ruined Tirico’s legendary call if he jumped in. This isn’t it.
Reply/Quote
Random thoughts about Cris; on Labor Day Weekend '82 a friend of mine and I went to Timberwolf to see Flock of Seagulls/The Go-Gos. Right before the concert started, the announcer said, "And let me introduce two of the biggest Go-Go fans here today," and Cris Collinsworth and Turk Schonert came up behind him. Cris said something like, "Are you ready to PAR-TAY!" or something like that to get the crowd all rowdy.

Going into 1981, Cris Collinsworth and David Verser were supposed to be the receiving tandem of the future, setting records at the position for years. Cris did have a 1,000-yard receiving year, but aside from a couple of spectacular plays the first couple of years David Verser never did anything. And in the Super Bowl, Cris fumbled near the goal line.

Before either the '83 or '84 season, Cris was all set to sign with the Jacksonville Bulls of the USFL. Of course, he didn't go but at the time I remember seeing an interview with him. In talking about the tight-fisted-ness of the Brown family, he said, "I wouldn't call them cheap. I would call them frugal." And he had a few more decent seasons before being cut right before the '89 season.

To me, Cris errs on the side of caution about cheering on his old team/organization. It's a little comical how he used to gush over Ben Roethlisberger, but he and Al Michaels have made a good tandem for a long time. They mostly stay in the background as it should be. Does anybody else remember Don Criqui? He was my all-time favorite. He could make a game between two 10-loss teams seem exciting.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 02:54 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, I mean I’ve been critical of him, but what was he supposed to say? Tirico was killing that call. His job to is break plays down in between and give occasional color comments during, but he would have ruined Tirico’s legendary call if he jumped in. This isn’t it.

This.

Tirico had an all-time classic call of Hubbard's run. Any other voice jumping in would have taken away. Do we need a "chase is on the case" quip thrown in to distract from the call? ("hubbard the card. Hubbard the mallard! Hubbard the lard!) ) Collinsworth did exactly right to keep his analysis out of the actual play by play and save it for afterward.
Reply/Quote

Could someone please explain to me why anyone actually cares about what any of the game announcers or TV analysts have to say? Or why it matters? Or how it impacts their football team or any football game in any way?
Reply/Quote
I found it pretty comical that you wrote this.....

Quote:Your football knowledge has lead to 17 sports Emmy Awards and a broadcasting career that has been extremely lucrative for you.

and then went on to tell him he didn't know how to do his job. Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Collinsworth not only slobbers on the Steelers, he slobbers all over the Ravens and how "tough" they are while neglecting to point out how dirty they played. There was one point in the game where he paused and I think was going to say something about one of the dirty plays, but didn't. The man wants to keep his job too....
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:09 AM)whodeyblood Wrote:

Could someone please explain to me why anyone actually cares about what any of the game announcers or TV analysts have to say? Or why it matters? Or how it impacts their football team or any football game in any way?

Usually I don’t care but did you watch Miami Vs. Buffalo last Sunday? Tony Romo couldn’t STFU and stop saying something stupid for 8 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:22 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Usually I don’t care but did you watch Miami Vs. Buffalo last Sunday? Tony Romo couldn’t STFU and stop saying something stupid for 8 seconds.

I used to really enjoy Romo calling the games, but he's gotten really bad this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:22 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Usually I don’t care but did you watch Miami Vs. Buffalo last Sunday? Tony Romo couldn’t STFU and stop saying something stupid for 8 seconds.

I get what you're saying, but I'm speaking specifically to those who get butthurt because a commentator or analyst doesn't "talk up" whatever team they
follow. That part makes no sense to me. I couldn't care less what any of them have to say. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 07:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He LOVES the Bengals and praises us constantly and consistently outside of SNF and has for over 2 decades.

He shows up to team events still, he shows up to alumni things, he shows up to Bengal community events and despite being a Floridian, raised and through his formative years, he has maintained his home in Cincinnati.

And it's Cris.

Yeah, this "letter" screams snowflake millennial to me.  Your feelings are hurt because he didn't talk over Tirico's amazing call?  I don't understand.  Cris has always been a guy that has rooted for Cincinnati and although people don't seem to like his "here is a guy" takes, but I enjoy him and think he is one of the most insightful sportscasters without being a ballwasher (See Romo, Tony).  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:38 AM)whodeyblood Wrote: I get what you're saying, but I'm speaking specifically to those who get butthurt because a commentator or analyst doesn't "talk up" whatever team they
follow. That part makes no sense to me. I couldn't care less what any of them have to say. 

The little man complex from some people here is very, very strong. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 07:57 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Random thoughts about Cris; on Labor Day Weekend '82 a friend of mine and I went to Timberwolf to see Flock of Seagulls/The Go-Gos. Right before the concert started, the announcer said, "And let me introduce two of the biggest Go-Go fans here today," and Cris Collinsworth and Turk Schonert came up behind him. Cris said something like, "Are you ready to PAR-TAY!" or something like that to get the crowd all rowdy.

Going into 1981, Cris Collinsworth and David Verser were supposed to be the receiving tandem of the future, setting records at the position for years. Cris did have a 1,000-yard receiving year, but aside from a couple of spectacular plays the first couple of years David Verser never did anything. And in the Super Bowl, Cris fumbled near the goal line.

Before either the '83 or '84 season, Cris was all set to sign with the Jacksonville Bulls of the USFL. Of course, he didn't go but at the time I remember seeing an interview with him. In talking about the tight-fisted-ness of the Brown family, he said, "I wouldn't call them cheap. I would call them frugal." And he had a few more decent seasons before being cut right before the '89 season.

To me, Cris errs on the side of caution about cheering on his old team/organization. It's a little comical how he used to gush over Ben Roethlisberger, but he and Al Michaels have made a good tandem for a long time. They mostly stay in the background as it should be. Does anybody else remember Don Criqui? He was my all-time favorite. He could make a game between two 10-loss teams seem exciting.
Yeah, really enjoyed Criqui.  I enjoyed Pat Summerall too!
Reply/Quote
Did you steal that from Twitter, Reddit, or Facebook? It sounds like something that would be posted on one of those really bad Facebook groups.

Cris can be annoying as an analyst because he can be annoying. But just because his job is to be neutral does not mean he isn't a homer in his personal life. That "letter" is ridiculous

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:36 PM)pally Wrote: Did you steal that from Twitter, Reddit, or Facebook?  It sounds like something that would be posted on one of those really bad Facebook groups.

That's what I was wondering.  It reads like one of those, "If you care share this with at least 10 of your friends" type things.   :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I used to really enjoy Romo calling the games, but he's gotten really bad this year.

Romo seems to have digressed somewhat. 

As for Cris the only thing I see is he probably overcompensates for his Bengal fandom by being a little TOO complimentary of our division rivals. Yeah it’s annoying at times, since it seems he’s trying a bit too hard to “be a professional “. But it’s a damn sight better than Fouts obvious bias against the Bengals. Really, if I’m a chargers fan, his conduct would be embarrassing, as he comes across as a slighted Prima Donna. Yeah, I’ll take Cris’ approach any day!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:58 PM)SladeX Wrote: Romo seems to have digressed somewhat. 

I think you mean regress. But I digress
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 01:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think you mean regress. But I digress

Frank Booth, LAPD, grammar unit. The names have been changed … lolol

Good catch. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:56 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That's what I was wondering.  It reads like one of those, "If you care share this with at least 10 of your friends" type things.   :)

well I did see it on Twitter at least 5 hours before Brad posted it but I don't think that is where it originated

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote