Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A NEW BENGAL BY 9PM TONIGHT
(04-29-2021, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, you never hear the national media say anything good about the Steelers, or Packers, or Bills, or Chiefs, or Buccaneers, or the Seahawks, or the Saints...they're always talking about how awesome the Jets, Bears, and the Cowboys are.

I actually heard in a lot of places they took the Chiefs/Buccaneers super bowl off the air to run a re-run of the Gaints/Cowboys game from earlier in the year.

I don't understand your sarcasm.  Tampa is a massive city and has 1000 people moving in to it EVERY DAY.  Mostly from NY and NJ.  Pitt isn't a small city and thanks to their performance before FA existed, they have the largest fan base.  The Packers have a very small town, but massive fan base also from their history.  

The media barely acknowledged the Bengals when they went to 5 straight playoff appearances.  Do they crap on the perennially average Cowboys?  Who has been to the playoffs more in the last decade?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 12:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the job is to generate ratings... Larger Market = more Viewers = More $$$ per commerical

Exactly...same as their clicks.  Like an echo chamber, but for sports.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If that's their job then they are terrible at it.

Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay have been media darlings for years now, and are routinely praised.  When Peyton was in Indy they were similarly regarded.  I'd look for Buffalo to start to get more and more benefit of the doubt as we move forward (if they stay successful).

Meanwhile the Jets have been ripped for years.  The Cowboys and Jerry Jones have been the butt of many jokes.  Washington, Chicago, Detroit, etc.  All of these teams have seen their shots, and rightfully so.  Philly and Howie Roseman have been the league's laughingstock in terms of the draft recently.

I'm sorry, but the small market and big market thing drives me absolutely nuts.  That goes for media coverage and for chance of success.

The fact of the matter is that the media is complimentary of successful teams and will occassionally crap on the unsuccessful teams.  Market size has nothing to do with it.

Completely disagree.  Market size isn't population of their city (Green Bay?) but the size of their fan base.  And it is absolutely biased.  Listening to the so-called media experts call a Bengals game is disgusting.  There is a blatant bias to always find the negative on teams like Cincy.  I see a lot of it with the Browns as well.  Detroit also.  The Jets deserve to be crapped on because they have been bad for decades.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 02:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't understand your sarcasm.  Tampa is a massive city and has 1000 people moving in to it EVERY DAY.  Mostly from NY and NJ.  Pitt isn't a small city and thanks to their performance before FA existed, they have the largest fan base.  The Packers have a very small town, but massive fan base also from their history.  

The media barely acknowledged the Bengals when they went to 5 straight playoff appearances.  Do they crap on the perennially average Cowboys?  Who has been to the playoffs more in the last decade?  

Teams that win get more fans and get more time in the spotlight.  Also, we went one and done 5 times in 6 years half a decade ago, who outside of Cincy could possibly care about that?  When we start winning, then people will start paying attention.  That's what happened with the Steelers and Packers and so on and so forth.

(04-29-2021, 02:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Jets deserve to be crapped on because they have been bad for decades.  

Technically, the Jets have been more competitive than us for decades.  I'm just not seeing this unfair conspiracy against Cincy, but to each his own.  If Burrow wins MVP and a SB or something or even if we make the playoffs and the media is more interested in Dalton and the 4-13 Bears then we will have something to discuss.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If that's their job then they are terrible at it.

Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay have been media darlings for years now, and are routinely praised.  When Peyton was in Indy they were similarly regarded.  I'd look for Buffalo to start to get more and more benefit of the doubt as we move forward (if they stay successful).

Meanwhile the Jets have been ripped for years.  The Cowboys and Jerry Jones have been the butt of many jokes.  Washington, Chicago, Detroit, etc.  All of these teams have seen their shots, and rightfully so.  Philly and Howie Roseman have been the league's laughingstock in terms of the draft recently.

I'm sorry, but the small market and big market thing drives me absolutely nuts.  That goes for media coverage and for chance of success.

The fact of the matter is that the media is complimentary of successful teams and will occassionally crap on the unsuccessful teams.  Market size has nothing to do with it.

Completely agree Wes.

The reason the Bengals are the laughing stock of the league is because they have earned the label.

-They have the longest streak of not winning a playoff game in the NFL. 

-They routinely keep coaches past the point of where other teams would have fired them and moved on, even giving extensions to coaches who have subpar seasons.

-They have some big time first round draft bust since Mike Brown took over, not sure if it is the most in the league, but it has to be up there.

-They hire family and are so slow at changing and moving into the modern age. (Finally have a ring of honor)

-They have the smallest scouting department in the NFL.

-In big moments, the team always seems to find new and unique ways to lose a game.

The media isn't unfairly harsh on the Bengals. The Bengals have earned all the shame that is tossed their way, and will certainly catch plenty more flack from the media after the draft this weekend. The only way to change the narrative is to do something different, and that would be a string of successful seasons with playoff success and a Super Bowl win. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 02:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The media isn't unfairly harsh on the Bengals. The Bengals have earned all the shame that is tossed their way, and will certainly catch plenty more flack from the media after the draft this weekend. The only way to change the narrative is to do something different, and that would be a string of successful seasons with playoff success and a Super Bowl win. 

Yeah, I think it's easy to cry sour grapes and say that even if/when we are awesome no one will care.  To people who think the non-Bengals fans are hard on the Bengals I challenge you to write a paragraph about the Pittsburgh Pirates and not come off like a hater about it.  It isn't easy.

On a side note, I listen to the Pick Six podcast a lot and Jim Breech's son is on there and he forces a whole lotta Bengals/Dalton talk into every episode with a humorous touch, so there are people out there who will focus on us even when we aren't particularly relevant on the national level.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pretty sure it's on ABC this year too.  Simulcast of the ESPN broadcast.

Ah, thanks Wes.  Didn't even know it was on network tv as well.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The fact of the matter is that the media is complimentary of successful teams and will occassionally crap on the unsuccessful teams.  Market size has nothing to do with it.

This is it exactly.  The media loves to kick people/organizations when they are down (assuming politics and their funding is favorable to the kicking).  It's not just small market teams.  The New York media regularly blasts the Jets and for good reason.  Their organizational incompentence has been rivaled by few other teams, sadly one of those rivals are the Bengals. This organization deserves the lumps they have taken. If you don't want to get kicked when you are down, get the hell up!

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The National Media will immediately poo poo the selection of Chase, and forget all about it when the Bengals go offensive line with picks 2 and 3.  That's their job:  blow the large market teams, and crap on the small market teams.  Well, I don't give a shit.  And, more importantly, neither does Joe Burrow.  

Here's to giving them all a nice big shit burger to eat.  (Tip of the hat to Cleveland for the venue).

In all fairness, they wouldn't be wrong.  The Bengals have had a bad offensive line the last couple years and their franchise QB took a record number of hits.  It's a fair argument,
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think we get a little too into painting ourselves as the victim of the nasty media.  When Burrow is good he's going to be in commercials and the media is going to be all over him and the bandwagon is going to fill up.  Ideally, Burrow is going to be so good that we are going to become like the 1990s Chicago Bulls and we are going to become that annoying franchise every idiot clamps onto.

That's the nature of the sporting world.  I've been a Bengals fan since 1987, but if the Bengals TRULY make it people are going to see me (in PA) in a Bengals hat and say "Bengals fan?  Yeah right...name one guy who was on the team before Burrow got there."  

True. It's about $$ Can they market us? They could when we had Chad (and Carson). Burrow brings some attention, but a reunion with Chase has marketing potential like crazy. So, yeah. When (not if) we start winning again, we'll get some hype. We'll be marketable. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 05:48 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: True. It's about $$ Can they market us? They could when we had Chad (and Carson). Burrow brings some attention, but a reunion with Chase has marketing potential like crazy. So, yeah. When (not if) we start winning again, we'll get some hype. We'll be marketable. 

Like I said, if Burrow and the Bengals go 13-4 and win a playoff game or two and the media says "Screw the Bengals, let's talk about Andy Dalton and the 5 win Bears!" then I'll concede that it apparently is all about market size.  Expecting someone outside of Cincy to care that we made the playoffs 5 years ago is getting a bit absurd. Do any of us respect the Jaguars? They made the AFC championship game 4 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 02:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't understand your sarcasm.  Tampa is a massive city and has 1000 people moving in to it EVERY DAY.  Mostly from NY and NJ.  Pitt isn't a small city and thanks to their performance before FA existed, they have the largest fan base.  The Packers have a very small town, but massive fan base also from their history.  

Teams with giant fan bases do get favoritism, but the Bengals have deserved the media dumping on them.

And if we pass on an elite Tackle prospect in favor of a WR a year after Burrow got his knee shredded, you have to admit the optics of that aren't good.

Of course I don't expect anyone to admit anything right now. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Like I said, if Burrow and the Bengals go 13-4 and win a playoff game or two and the media says "Screw the Bengals, let's talk about Andy Dalton and the 5 win Bears!" then I'll concede that it apparently is all about market size.  Expecting someone outside of Cincy to care that we made the playoffs 5 years ago is getting a bit absurd. Do any of us respect the Jaguars? They made the AFC championship game 4 years ago.

You're gonna be putting some respect on Jacksonville here in a few hours. This year's generational talent is coming to town.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jason Wrote: You're gonna be putting some respect on Jacksonville here in a few hours. This year's generational talent is coming to town.

I'm glad we got Burrow, tbh.

I was listening to Fox Sports Radio the other day and they were saying Burrow was better than Lawrence, and I agree.

They wondered why he's being compared to Luck. I think generational just gets thrown around a bit too much.

If anything, the guy who had the best season in college history deserves that label over Lawrence.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 12:36 PM)jason Wrote: It's Pitts or I quits...

"People think they're screaming sh*ts, but they're really chanting "Pitts"."

[Image: th?id=OIP.bKtObH0HcxldIswXWQBBMAHaEK&pid...=274&h=155]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 07:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm glad we got Burrow, tbh.

I was listening to Fox Sports Radio the other day and they were saying Burrow was better than Lawrence, and I agree.

They wondered why he's being compared to Luck. I think generational just gets thrown around a bit too much.

If anything, the guy who had the best season in college history deserves that label over Lawrence.

I think Trevor Lawrence is gonna be a really good NFL QB. I'm more than happy with Joe myself. I was just making light of the generational term that seems to get thrown around a lot anymore. These generations are getting awfully short.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 07:22 PM)jason Wrote: You're gonna be putting some respect on Jacksonville here in a few hours. This year's generational talent is coming to town.

My wife is a Jaguars fan, so at least I avoided marrying a Steeler fan. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My wife is a Jaguars fan, so at least I avoided marrying a Steeler fan. 

Jacksonville has fans???

Honestly I think they're gonna be really fun to watch this year.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 03:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In all fairness, they wouldn't be wrong.  The Bengals have had a bad offensive line the last couple years and their franchise QB took a record number of hits.  It's a fair argument,

It's not the factual information, it is lines like "it is malpractice if they don't get a tackle to protect Burrow", which they already have (Reiff) and already had a LT (Williams) and the National parroting on this misinformation (and impatience...there are 7 picks remaining) is tiresome.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 07:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Teams with giant fan bases do get favoritism, but the Bengals have deserved the media dumping on them.

And if we pass on an elite Tackle prospect in favor of a WR a year after Burrow got his knee shredded, you have to admit the optics of that aren't good.

Of course I don't expect anyone to admit anything right now. Mellow

It is the "tackle or bust" narrative, when they have 7 more picks and already signed a FA RT and have a LT on a rookie deal that they like.  
Reply/Quote