Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Proposal
(10-13-2019, 09:40 PM)jason Wrote: Blah blah blah...

None of you want in on the the man's bet? I don't think he should make it because I don't want him to leave, but he didn't ask for your retorts. He said "who wants to bet?".

It’s not a great bet for anyone. Everyone brings something different to the board so why hope people bet just to lose posters. We haven’t been good since 2015 so Watcha expect is to act. We are 0-6. Besides the great John Ross what else is there to root for. Sample and his great blocking , Dalton’s pocket awareness, Dre tackling This board won’t be as team friendly until we start winning again.
Honestly, I've had the desire to post less and less over the past week or so. The team has soo many issues that it's kind of pointless.

Seeing on PFF how essentially EVERY player on the roster has gotten worse from last year kind of zaps the wind from my sails too.

There are very few promising bright spots on this roster. You'd expect atleast some players to improve in a year where we're so bad...but really I can't even say we're building for a better future. Our young guys look lost.

The coaching has also been absolute worst case scenario.

I guess we could lament how we lost a few games that were close. But even those games were infinitely winnable had our coaching been better or guys executed. Bottom line is we can't score and we can't stop teams when we essentially know what they're going to do.

Nothing positive in that all.
(10-13-2019, 10:01 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It’s not a great bet for anyone.  Everyone brings something different to the board so why hope people bet just to lose posters.  We haven’t been good since 2015 so Watcha expect is to act.    We are 0-6.    Besides the great John Ross what else is there to root for.   Sample and his great blocking , Dalton’s pocket awareness,  Dre tackling       This board won’t be as team friendly until we start winning again.

I'm guessing the replies did not go as Truck expected.

Seriously though, Truck I'd hate to see you go. Basically everything this team banked on during the offseason working...has failed so far. Just understand that people handle frustration differently. Some choose to see even the tiniest bit of hope. Others vent.
I can't take your bet Truck. Mainly because I agree with you.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-13-2019, 10:14 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't take your bet Truck.  Mainly because I agree with you.

What positives about this 0-6 team should the board be showered with?
(10-13-2019, 10:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What positives about this 0-6 team should the board be showered with?

We still have our cool uniforms...
(10-13-2019, 10:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What positives about this 0-6 team should the board be showered with?

My Dad said if you don't have anything positive to say, wait until you do son.

His point was negativity never fixed one problem, told me that too.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Don't leave Truck!

I do agree with him that the boards becoming harder and harder to participate in but I don't think it is due to the team not winning. To me it is because what used to be a board where we would see (even when the team did not win) actual discussions around scheme, strategy and the like has instead become a place where players, coaches and front office are incessantly personally attacked. Also there are the constant fights between two groups of posters (the same groups who made the old bengals.com forums toxic).

To me, how we behave here should have NOTHING TO DO with whether the team wins or loses. We can and should be respectful both of each other and of others not on the board no matter the W-L record.
(10-13-2019, 10:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My Dad said if you don't have anything positive to say, wait until you do son.

His point was negativity never fixed one problem, told me that too.

Positivity or negativity won't fix one problem with the Bengals. It's out of our control.

With revenue sharing, that stadium could sit empty and the Bengals would likely operate the same way. IF not winning a playoff game in 28+ years hasn't changed them...nothing will.
(10-13-2019, 07:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've kept off the boards for around 2 weeks or so (well, posting on JN, anyways; just checked in to see the injury news) and just seeing the first hour and a bit since the end of the game, I don't know if I will post this week either.

thebengalsboard.com has become an insanely, "un-fun," and toxic place to be, the past 4 weeks or so and me personally, I don't wish to be a part of it; we are fans of this team, we should root for them to win at any cost. After all, the entire point of sports is to win, right?

I mean, we gave up a ****ton of yards today, sure and ultimately, lost the game. Yet, our horridly out-of place backup OG, played a damn good game at LT in pass pro, we continued to shut the Ravens down in the Red Zone (1 of 4 drives, was it? that they got TDs) and Tate looked superb, not to mention we played a great team on teams.

Not to mention as well (of course, no one has mentioned it or anything), there were *2* fumbles that weren't called on the field (both should've been challenged, that's on ZT), that would've taken off 10 points and almost 90 yards off as well. AND Boyd caught the ball, fumbled before going OB (WITH NO WHISTLE EITHER; it was only blown after Erickson picked it up and then the incomplete signal was given), which would've been a TD (Erickson scooped it and was gone). Canady holds Tate's shoulder clearly, EVEN REVIEW IT and see it is blatant, still no call. Does it again on Erickson, still no call.

No matter how shittily we play, if we still have a chance late, it is beyond infuriating when refs continually **** us over or do things that go against us.

So to see people spewing hate and vitriol, poisonous words and nasty shit towards the team we are FANS of, it just disheartens me to death and quite frankly, pisses me the **** off; you people must have REALLY miserable and terrible lives, when fights are picked and hate has to be spewed behind your computer.

Anyways, if I'm the only person who feels this way, then I guess I'm the only loser on the planet with this attitude, but in an effort to make this place more tolerable and actually a fun community again, I propose a bet; a retirement/I quit/whatever you want to call it, bet.

I should've been more bold and done it this week (when I originally thought about it), but I held back on Wednesday or so. Anyways:

If the Bengals lose next week (since a bunch of the goons on here want that: you know who you are), I will leave the boards forever and quite frankly, I will be thrilled not to read constant shitposts and the sarcastic snark that has made up the majority of posts the last few weeks.

If the Bengals win next week (since I appear to be one of the few on here who actually wants to see that), I stick around and anyone who wants in on this bet, has to leave the boards forever. It would be nice to root for this team to win again, as we should.

And before you talk about, "better draft pick," whether we have the first or 31st pick, a QB won't help, so no, it won't help to tank.

Since I have people posting days after my last post, being sarcastic and taking the piss out of me (again, you know who you are), I would LOVE for you guys to be in on this bet, but I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I am proposing this, in an effort to make this place just a bit less crappy and a bit more positive again, as I feel I contribute positively, more often than not (yes, I realise the paradoxical posting of a quite negative post, after writing that I try to be positive).

I've contributed to this board (mothership too) since 2009, I have donated money to help out this board as much as I possibly (so have many of you, I know) can, so I don't want to see it continue to be the depress-fest that it has become; I know that even if we win next week, people will still take the piss out of the team, but whatever; I can only do what I can do.

So, any takers? Let's get a bit exciting for once this year, instead of being angry and gloomy.

I’m thinking that it’s the Bengals have a terrible team more so than we have terrible lives. I’m actually happy with my life. I’m not really a Bengals fan anymore though. I was for for over 30 years but I’m just not doing the 90’s all over again. I’ve only watched a couple of games this year and I come here to see how the games went. I definitely don’t hope they lose and I’m not a fan of another team. I just refuse to put much emotion into it. It takes effort and the ownership here either puts in very little effort or they are entirely lost on how to build success. Do you have a terrible life? Does this board get to you that much?
As long as fans aren't toxic to each other, I honestly don't care if they are toxic towards the team (not that my opinion matters on this).

As I basically told someone in the gameday thread today, if this organization lead by old man Mr. Burns doesn't care about winning by not changing their inbred business practices, then why should we as fans care?

All the negativity the Bengals are getting from their fanbase is brought on by themselves, and deserved at that for various reasons dating back to the PBS swindle deal era. And for many of us, this has been brewing for almost 30 years now since Paul Brown passed.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(10-13-2019, 11:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: As long as fans aren't toxic to each other, I honestly don't care if they are toxic towards the team (not that my opinion matters on this).

As I basically told someone in the gameday thread today, if this organization lead by old man Mr. Burns doesn't care about winning by not changing their inbred business practices, then why should we as fans care?

All the negativity the Bengals are getting from their fanbase is brought on by themselves, and deserved at that for various reasons dating back to the PBS swindle deal era. And for many of us, this has been brewing for almost 30 years now since Paul Brown passed.

Exactly

I'm not gonna get mad at anybody for bitching about this dumpster fire of a "team".
It's shaping up to be a rough year. I think most people expected it to be. We've had several bad drafts and a complete coaching overhaul. That's not something that's going to be fixed in a season or two.

Folks are frustrated, accordingly. Hopefully, things work out. We've got a good coach, several good pieces and lots of loyal fans.

One could be; we don't slam each other?
(10-13-2019, 11:33 PM)Benton Wrote: It's shaping up to be a rough year. I think most people expected it to be. We've had several bad drafts and a complete coaching overhaul. That's not something that's going to be fixed in a season or two.

Folks are frustrated, accordingly. Hopefully, things work out. We've got a good coach, several good pieces and lots of loyal fans.

I've seen 0 evidence that Taylor is a good coach. He looks clueless out there.
(10-13-2019, 11:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

I'm not gonna get mad at anybody for bitching about this dumpster fire of a "team".

When a team is 0-5 with no light at the end of the tunnel of any kind, I don't know of any fanbase having positive discussions overall. All the coaches are basically unknowns or not having a good track record. We have no QB of the future waiting in the wings. The defense has a major hole in the middle with no promising future linebackers. The o-line might have a good one waiting in Williams, but he could very well be another o-line bust, we dont know as the o-line is dreadful overall.

It's a dark period right now, as dark as it ever has been, with an inept front office more worried about keeping themselves super rich than changing their ways for better chances at winning. 

I hate to see a fan like Truck make a bet like this, because the boards are better with him. And there is also a good chance the Bengals lose at home, so I hope no one takes him up on it. It definitely won't be me though, because I never bet on the Bengals, win or lose, because more often than not I tend to lose those bets.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(10-13-2019, 11:40 PM)Millhouse Wrote: When a team is 0-5 with no light at the end of the tunnel of any kind, I don't know of any fanbase having positive discussions overall. All the coaches are basically unknowns or not having a good track record. We have no QB of the future waiting in the wings. The defense has a major hole in the middle with no promising future linebackers. The o-line might have a good one waiting in Williams, but he could very well be another o-line bust, we dont know as the o-line is dreadful overall.

It's a dark period right now, as dark as it ever has been, with an inept front office more worried about keeping themselves super rich than changing their ways for better chances at winning. 

I hate to see a fan like Truck make a bet like this, because the boards are better with him. And there is also a good chance the Bengals lose at home, so I hope no one takes him up on it. It definitely won't be me though, because I never bet on the Bengals, win or lose, because more often than not I tend to lose those bets.

You know that I think the worst part is that we aren't some young team that is developing a bunch of young players.

The Dolphins are tanking with youth.

We're trying to win and look like we're tanking.
(10-13-2019, 11:40 PM)Millhouse Wrote: When a team is 0-5 with no light at the end of the tunnel of any kind, I don't know of any fanbase having positive discussions overall. All the coaches are basically unknowns or not having a good track record. We have no QB of the future waiting in the wings. The defense has a major hole in the middle with no promising future linebackers. The o-line might have a good one waiting in Williams, but he could very well be another o-line bust, we dont know as the o-line is dreadful overall.

Well it seems like nobody's taking the bet... So there's that. I think what Truck is railing against is the section of the fan base that is actually pulling for failure and losses. Maybe even those that are revelling in the current situation to prove how knowledgeable they are. All out tanking had never worked in this league. The Browns did it, then spent a some loot on FAs, and made some moves. They're still losers. The only difference is their payroll is higher.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-13-2019, 11:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know that I think the worst part is that we aren't some young team that is developing a bunch of young players.

The Dolphins are tanking with youth.

We're trying to win and look like we're tanking.

Exactly

It's like you pull up to a red light in your Lamborghini and some guy pulls up beside you in a 75 Pinto and smokes your ass and his license plate reads - you mad bro  Pissed
(10-13-2019, 11:50 PM)jason Wrote: Well it seems like nobody's taking the bet... So there's that. I think what Truck is railing against is the section of the fan base that is actually pulling for failure and losses. Maybe even those that are revelling in the current situation to prove how knowledgeable they are. All out tanking had never worked in this league. The Browns did it, then spent a some loot on FAs, and made some moves. They're still losers. The only difference is their payroll is higher.

The bolded part is why I agree with Truck.  Some people are seemingly proud they are so right about negative things.  Rep for you jason!