Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Proposal
(10-14-2019, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boom! It's like Gladiator - 2 men enter. 1 man leaves.

Next game is going to be huge.
(10-14-2019, 01:17 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Next game is going to be huge.

PDub is the man. Stepping up to the challenge!
I've admittedly become more negative this year than previous years.
However, that's because I've observed many decisions with personnel and approach that I've disagreed with and frankly tired of seeing the same things done over and over. To think that doing the same things over and over will achieve different results is the definition of insanity.

People can call me whatever they want, but I will never be one of those fans who avoids critique and blindly supports a sports franchise.
At some point, the franchise has to earn our trust, money, and attention.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-13-2019, 09:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: It is this franchise’s JOB to produce a winning organization. It is the CINCINNATI Bengals, not Mike Brown Bengals. This team represents the city. The people of Cincinnati payed for a stadium for this team to play in. Real money from real people not associated with the Brown family. The citizens of Cincinnati held up their part of the bargain in real tax money coming out of their pockets. Mike Brown has failed to live up to his duty to give this city a winning organization. He has literally defied the laws of probability in a league built for parity. People have the RIGHT to be angry.

Interesting logic.  So fans have a right to vent their displeasure with the Bengals because they paid money but a poster who has invested money in this forum doesn't have the right to vent his displeasure with things that are lessening their enjoyment of said forum?
(10-14-2019, 01:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've admittedly become more negative this year than previous years.
However, that's because I've observed many decisions with personnel and approach that I've disagreed with and frankly tired of seeing the same things done over and over. To think that doing the same things over and over will achieve different results is the definition of insanity.

People can call me whatever they want, but I will never be one of those fans who avoids critique and blindly supports a sports franchise.
At some point, the franchise has to earn our trust, money, and attention.

Yes. As if talking about the good things for an 0-6 team is going to miraculously make them win.

Better coaching, better scheme, better players, and better play are what is needed.
(10-13-2019, 09:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: It is this franchise’s JOB to produce a winning organization. It is the CINCINNATI Bengals, not Mike Brown Bengals. This team represents the city. The people of Cincinnati payed for a stadium for this team to play in. Real money from real people not associated with the Brown family. The citizens of Cincinnati held up their part of the bargain in real tax money coming out of their pockets. Mike Brown has failed to live up to his duty to give this city a winning organization. He has literally defied the laws of probability in a league built for parity. People have the RIGHT to be angry.
I agree with everything you say except it not being Mike Browns team. That's the problem, IT IS MIKE BROWNS nepotism over football IQ led franchise. Even some powerful owners have a trusted GM. 
(10-14-2019, 01:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. As if talking about the good things for an 0-6 team is going to miraculously make them win.

Better coaching, better scheme, better players, and better play are what is needed.

I've tried even talking about the good things. But the only good things have been Hopkins, Ross, and Tate. Boyd isn't going to be talked about much since he blossomed last year and is on basically the same trend this year.

If this board starts becoming "talk about only positive things," we're going to start seeing very few new threads and discussions, which will ultimately make it stale. At least with having a mix of pessimists and optimists, we get to see debates and keep conversation going.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-14-2019, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've tried even talking about the good things. But the only good things have been Hopkins, Ross, and Tate. Boyd isn't going to be talked about much since he blossomed last year and is on basically the same trend this year.

If this board starts becoming "talk about only positive things," we're going to start seeing very few new threads and discussions, which will ultimately make it stale. At least with having a mix of pessimists and optimists, we get to see debates and keep conversation going.

Honestly, I think in general where the issues come in is when the pessimists say something about the team. Some of the optimists take it as a personal attack. And vice versa.

I see very little name calling.

Ego investments make some people feel as if someone criticizing the team is criticizing them personally.

I actually disagree.
A franchise's job is to make money, first and foremost. It's a business.
The most likely way for that franchise to do that is to win games because it draws fans and increases sales.
If everyone keeps pouring money into the franchise, where's the incentive for them to change? In their minds, they are being successful.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-14-2019, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've tried even talking about the good things. But the only good things have been Hopkins, Ross, and Tate. Boyd isn't going to be talked about much since he blossomed last year and is on basically the same trend this year.

Hard to even include Ross in the positives, as he suffered yet another long term injury.

I’d say the lone bright spots have been Hopkins, Hubbard, and as of yesterday, Tate.

(10-14-2019, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, I think in general where the issues come in is when the pessimists say something about the team. Some of the optimists take it as a personal attack. And vice versa.

I see very little name calling.

Ego investments make some people feel as if someone criticizing the team is criticizing them personally.

Agreed.

I'm only personally attacked when someone criticizes John Ross  Smirk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-14-2019, 01:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hard to even include Ross in the positives, as he suffered yet another long term injury.

I’d say the lone bright spots have been Hopkins, Hubbard, and as of yesterday, Tate.

Ross was a positive until he got hurt, thus he was a positive up to this point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-14-2019, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually disagree.
A franchise's job is to make money, first and foremost. It's a business.
The most likely way for that franchise to do that is to win games because it draws fans and increases sales.
If everyone keeps pouring money into the franchise, where's the incentive for them to change? In their minds, they are being successful.

Revenue sharing dulls the normal market forces a lot too.
(10-14-2019, 01:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hard to even include Ross in the positives, as he suffered yet another long term injury.

Brandon Wilson as a returner too.
(10-14-2019, 01:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ross was a positive until he got hurt, thus he was a positive up to this point.

I’m still not sold he’ll ever be a productive WR at this level. Between the inconsistencies and the injuries, he’s still got a lot to prove.

(10-14-2019, 01:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m still not sold he’ll ever be a productive WR at this level. Between the inconsistencies and the injuries, he’s still got a lot to prove.

It probably won't be in Cincy if he is atleast.

But, hey on the board 1 or 2 games is enough for some people to declare someone a good player.
(10-13-2019, 07:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've kept off the boards for around 2 weeks or so (well, posting on JN, anyways; just checked in to see the injury news) and just seeing the first hour and a bit since the end of the game, I don't know if I will post this week either.

thebengalsboard.com has become an insanely, "un-fun," and toxic place to be, the past 4 weeks or so and me personally, I don't wish to be a part of it; we are fans of this team, we should root for them to win at any cost. After all, the entire point of sports is to win, right?

I mean, we gave up a ****ton of yards today, sure and ultimately, lost the game. Yet, our horridly out-of place backup OG, played a damn good game at LT in pass pro, we continued to shut the Ravens down in the Red Zone (1 of 4 drives, was it? that they got TDs) and Tate looked superb, not to mention we played a great team on teams.

Not to mention as well (of course, no one has mentioned it or anything), there were *2* fumbles that weren't called on the field (both should've been challenged, that's on ZT), that would've taken off 10 points and almost 90 yards off as well. AND Boyd caught the ball, fumbled before going OB (WITH NO WHISTLE EITHER; it was only blown after Erickson picked it up and then the incomplete signal was given), which would've been a TD (Erickson scooped it and was gone). Canady holds Tate's shoulder clearly, EVEN REVIEW IT and see it is blatant, still no call. Does it again on Erickson, still no call.

No matter how shittily we play, if we still have a chance late, it is beyond infuriating when refs continually **** us over or do things that go against us.

So to see people spewing hate and vitriol, poisonous words and nasty shit towards the team we are FANS of, it just disheartens me to death and quite frankly, pisses me the **** off; you people must have REALLY miserable and terrible lives, when fights are picked and hate has to be spewed behind your computer.

Anyways, if I'm the only person who feels this way, then I guess I'm the only loser on the planet with this attitude, but in an effort to make this place more tolerable and actually a fun community again, I propose a bet; a retirement/I quit/whatever you want to call it, bet.

I should've been more bold and done it this week (when I originally thought about it), but I held back on Wednesday or so. Anyways:

If the Bengals lose next week (since a bunch of the goons on here want that: you know who you are), I will leave the boards forever and quite frankly, I will be thrilled not to read constant shitposts and the sarcastic snark that has made up the majority of posts the last few weeks.

If the Bengals win next week (since I appear to be one of the few on here who actually wants to see that), I stick around and anyone who wants in on this bet, has to leave the boards forever. It would be nice to root for this team to win again, as we should.

And before you talk about, "better draft pick," whether we have the first or 31st pick, a QB won't help, so no, it won't help to tank.

Since I have people posting days after my last post, being sarcastic and taking the piss out of me (again, you know who you are), I would LOVE for you guys to be in on this bet, but I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I am proposing this, in an effort to make this place just a bit less crappy and a bit more positive again, as I feel I contribute positively, more often than not (yes, I realise the paradoxical posting of a quite negative post, after writing that I try to be positive).

I've contributed to this board (mothership too) since 2009, I have donated money to help out this board as much as I possibly (so have many of you, I know) can, so I don't want to see it continue to be the depress-fest that it has become; I know that even if we win next week, people will still take the piss out of the team, but whatever; I can only do what I can do.

So, any takers? Let's get a bit exciting for once this year, instead of being angry and gloomy.
Personally, would hate to see you go, if that happens to be the case. I can honestly say, I have felt the same as you and for that reason my post # has been down. I come here once a week, mainly to see anything new, but it's the same. Dalton sucks, so and so is trash or garbage, can't wait til MB dies. I don't mind a good debate, but when you have to wade thru immature shit, it's not worth it. I've read thru 4 pages of this thread and apparently it seems like this message board has to be a bad episode of Jerry Springer. 
 I get it, I'm pissed myself with this team. If you've invested so much time and money into this team, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's sports entertainment, not life. Coming here to vent to a bunch of other unhappy will never solve your problems.......
There is no reason to make personal attacks on anyone associated with the Bengals or any of the great folks who post on this board.

Criticizing the Bengals organization for their inept results and strategy for building a contending NFL team is a legitimate criticism.

Problem is there just isn't much more to say that has not been said over and over.

Love the folks on this board all of whom might express their frustration in different ways.
(10-14-2019, 02:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Personally, would hate to see you go, if that happens to be the case. I can honestly say, I have felt the same as you and for that reason my post # has been down. I come here once a week, mainly to see anything new, but it's the same. Dalton sucks, so and so is trash or garbage, can't wait til MB dies. I don't mind a good debate, but when you have to wade thru immature shit, it's not worth it. I've read thru 4 pages of this thread and apparently it seems like this message board has to be a bad episode of Jerry Springer. 
 I get it, I'm pissed myself with this team. If you've invested so much time and money into this team, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's sports entertainment, not life. Coming here to vent to a bunch of other unhappy will never solve your problems.......

I think for this message board to be a true discussion home for fans, it has to be a place where all ideas, opinions and reactions are welcomed - within the rules of course. Members should be free to express their thoughts in their own way and express how they feel about the team freely. Whether it's being positive, negative, looking for silver linings or venting their frustrations. If that's not the case, then the board is in big trouble.
(10-14-2019, 02:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think for this message board to be a discussion home for fans. it has to be a place where all ideas, opinions and reactions are welcomed - within the rules of course. Members should be free to express their thoughts in their own way and express how they feel about the team freely. Whether it's being positive, negative, looking for silver linings or venting their frustrations. If that's not the case, then the board is in big trouble.

Well said.

And that's basically what it boils down to. Some people don't want to hear negative things about the team. But, people are free to do those things...as long as they don't make personal attacks.