Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Single Point of Failure
Losing Joe Burrow is a death sentence for the 2020 Cincinnati Bengals but it didn’t have to be that way.

When a quarterback, especially a rookie, has to carry an offense while being surrounded by mediocrity the team will collapse around him once he is removed from the equation. This is known in science and engineering as a single point of failure. The truth is there for all to see: Joe Burrow was drafted to carry the entire offense but this offense is so bad it can’t be carried, not even by Joe Burrow.

Let the Front Office learn this lesson well. You have to surround your new franchise quarterback with talent immediately — not later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow has done a good job this year but without Boyd or Higgins. He would not be where he is and the front office drafted them.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 08:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow has done a good job this year but without Boyd or Higgins. He would not be where he is and the front office drafted them.

The level that you go to defend this FO never ceases to amaze me
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 08:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Losing Joe Burrow is a death sentence for the 2020 Cincinnati Bengals but it didn’t have to be that way.

When a quarterback, especially a rookie, has to carry an offense while being surrounded by mediocrity the team will collapse around him once he is removed from the equation.  This is known in science and engineering as a single point of failure.  The truth is there for all to see: Joe Burrow was drafted to carry the entire offense but this offense is so bad it can’t be carried, not even by Joe Burrow.

Let the Front Office learn this lesson well.  You have to surround your new franchise quarterback with talent immediately — not later.

Good point FIK and was echoed after they decided to go after Burrow.

My hope is, after MB passes, that the Brown family gets frustrated and sells out to new blood.

To me, that's the ONLY hope.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 08:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let the Front Office learn this lesson well.  You have to surround your new franchise quarterback with talent immediately — not later.

$18 million to bring back A.J. Green

$48 million extension for Joe Mixon.

2nd round pick on Tee Higgins.

New LT who was the first O-lineman taken in the 2019 draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 09:19 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Good point FIK and was echoed after they decided to go after Burrow.

Actually what I heard after we got Burrow is that he was so much better than our previous QB who could only succeed with tons of talent around him.

Also a lot of talk about how the O-line would not be as big of an issue because Burrow was not a "statue" and was a genius at avoiding the rush and making big plays under pressure.
Reply/Quote
A Single Point of Failure: Paul Brown's broken condom in December of '34.
Reply/Quote
The long term repercussions of this can not be overlooked. All the people that told Burrow before the Draft that the Bengals would ruin him are being proven right. Every potential QB that hears that now will think twice and actually heed that warning to demand not to be drafted by Cincinnati. This may be the ACTUAL day this franchise officially dies.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 09:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually what I heard after we got Burrow is that he was so much better than our previous QB who could only succeed with tons of talent around him.

Also a lot of talk about how the O-line would not be as big of an issue because Burrow was not a "statue" and was a genius at avoiding the rush and making big plays under pressure.

Are you attempting to troll fellow fans in their weakest moment?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 09:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: $18 million to bring back A.J. Green

$48 million extension for Joe Burrow.

2nd round pick on Tee Higgins.

New LT who was the first O-lineman taken in the 2019 draft.

What is this Joe Burrow extension you speak of?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure it's fair to say they didn't provide him with any talent. You'd have a tough time arguing that the skill positions on offense are bereft of talent. Quite the opposite, actually. The line is bad, but the team gambled on the idea that the young players on the o-line would grow into a cohesive unit, which isn't super-unreasonable. It just didn't work out.

IMO the problem here is the staff. They are bad at situational football and several coaches in key roles are highly inexperienced, much less successful. The ownership jumped the shark hiring a young coach when it was the trendy thing to do in the league. It's not working out and it needs to be rectified soon.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you attempting to troll fellow fans in their weakest moment?

Does the pope shit in the woods?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:07 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure it's fair to say they didn't provide him with any talent.  You'd have a tough time arguing that the skill positions on offense are bereft of talent.  Quite the opposite, actually.  The line is bad, but the team gambled on the idea that the young players on the o-line would grow into a cohesive unit, which isn't super-unreasonable.  It just didn't work out.  

IMO the problem here is the staff.  They are bad at situational football and several coaches in key roles are highly inexperienced, much less successful.  The ownership jumped the shark hiring a young coach when it was the trendy thing to do in the league. It's not working out and it needs to be rectified soon.

Yes
Reply/Quote
Why would Burrow sign an extension? It would be career suicide.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Why would Burrow sign an extension? It would be career suicide.

Because he's not small weak minded Bengals fan. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 08:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow has done a good job this year but without Boyd or Higgins. He would not be where he is and the front office drafted them.

And your point is?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:08 PM)samhain Wrote: Does the pope shit in the woods?

Pope Francis? Probably not. But Pope John Paul II was an avid outdoorsman so chances are he did so rather often.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:07 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure it's fair to say they didn't provide him with any talent.  You'd have a tough time arguing that the skill positions on offense are bereft of talent.  Quite the opposite, actually.  The line is bad, but the team gambled on the idea that the young players on the o-line would grow into a cohesive unit, which isn't super-unreasonable.  It just didn't work out.  

IMO the problem here is the staff.  They are bad at situational football and several coaches in key roles are highly inexperienced, much less successful.  The ownership jumped the shark hiring a young coach when it was the trendy thing to do in the league.  It's not working out and it needs to be rectified soon.

Did you get an opportunity to read the article on Marvin Lewis, in The Athletic?  The scenario playing out right now, plays directly into what I read into Marvin's thoughts on his differences in philosophy with Mike Brown, as it applies to building a team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:13 PM)TheFan Wrote: Because he's not small weak minded Bengals fan. 

How about legit reasons? 

The team sent him out there with brain dead schemes and play calling and a patchwork offensive line. Our HC is on track for the worst opening tenure of any HC in NFL history. They had a viable NFL starter at Guard drop into their laps (Spain) then proceeded to put him at RG instead of LG and benching one of the worst LGs in the NFL. The defense is incompetently schemed and coached as well. 

Signing an extension with this "franchise" when they show no signs at all of really wanting to win  - the first one would be them admitting they do not understand football and bringing in people who do to run the show - is career suicide. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 10:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: How about legit reasons? 

The team sent him out there with brain dead schemes and play calling and a patchwork offensive line. Our HC is on track for the worst opening tenure of any HC in NFL history. They had a viable NFL starter at Guard drop into their laps (Spain) then proceeded to put him at RG instead of LG and benching one of the worst LGs in the NFL. The defense is incompetently schemed and coached as well. 

Signing an extension with this "franchise" when they show no signs at all of really wanting to win  - the first one would be them admitting they do not understand football and bringing in people who do to run the show - is career suicide. 

How many #1 pick drafted quarterbacks didn't sign with the same team after their rookie contract? Heck, how many top 5 pick drafted QBs didn't resign with the team that drafted them? 

Professional athletes have confidence in themselves and that they have the ability to take a franchise and put them over the top regardless of any adversity. That's why Burrow will resign with the Bengals. 

The Bengals have been a terribly run organization for many years. You can say the same thing for a lot of organizations until they lucked into a good coach and QB. It seems like we have our QB. Now we need our coach. 
Reply/Quote