Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Toast to the Old Guard
(01-14-2022, 06:14 PM)pally Wrote: It is 5:00 somewhere...right?

You guys know who you are...you were there at the beginning.  You saw the team through growing pains all the way to the Super Bowl.  You were there during the lost years of revolving door QBs and coaches, of draft picks not working out, trades not made, and losses...year after year of nothing but losses.  You were there when the only news coming out of Cincinnati was how many players had been arrested and how cheap Mike Brown was.  You were there the last time the fans had real hope heading into the playoffs only to see it crash with a QB being carted off after a cheap shot.  You were there for 5 straight years of playoff futility.  And you are still here when a young man from Athens Ohio made us all believe.

So cheers to all of you, your love of the Bengals, and your faith that we are at the beginning of something special

Rep and right back at you, pally.

Most days I think I know who I am.  Memories are hazy, but I'm pretty sure that it took me a couple of years to switch over from my boyhood allegiance to the Browns.  Please don't judge me -- they were all we had in the 50's and 60's.  But from 1970 on I have bled orange and black.

It's hasn't always been easy.  But through it all, I would not trade my Bengal fandom for anything.  Even having my heart broken time after time down there in the south end zone.  Small market that we are, I count myself fortunate to be an easy 25 minute drive from watching a team in the NFL.

Yeah, I'm a Bengals fan, and proud of it.  So hell yes, here's to us!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 09:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: '73 is the first year I can really remember following the Bengals and knowing the players. I was 10 years old in 5th grade.  Howard Fest spoke at my Pee-Wee Football banquet.

The first Super Bowl was in my Freshman year of college.  The second Super Bowl was in my final year of grad school.  Bookends to a really incredible period of my life.

I spent the 90's in Colorado and Tennessee and there was no internet (for me) back then.  I followed the team the best I could but had no access to any  daily info or local coverage.  You may not like me now, but the 1990's Fredtoast would have been in therapy if he had had access to message boards.

I did not search out any message boards until the team started getting good under Marvin.  Then I also got Sunday Ticket so I could watch every game.

Did not attend a game at PBS until week 15 of 2007 when we upset the Browns to knock them out of the playoffs.  It was only their second winning season since their return in '99.  I was 2 rows from the endzone with Joe from Florence.

I attended 1 or two games every year until 2013.  I started having some trouble with one of my knees that made it very difficult to walk up and down the stairs at the stadium.  The San Diego playoff game was the last game I attended until this year.  I went to the Thursday night game and the Browns game with PAjwPhilly.  Then I saw the San Francisco game with my nephew who is a Niners fan.  Funny coincidence that he and Philly are both about the same age and ex-Marines.    

I think I am about to see my first playoff win in 30 years.  But I felt the same way in '05, '09, '12, and '13.  The '11 team was not really that strong, and they were playing an elite defense.  The '14 team was beaten up bad with injurie, and Dalton was missing in '15.  Looking back at the '09 team now I see that the offense was actually really bad once we lost Chris Henry.  But that season was so magical and exciting I really thought we could win it all.  People talk about how this years team thinks it can win every game, but that '09 team really seemed charmed in the regular season.
I'm from day one. But I'm a little uncomfortable with this thread, although I appreciate it. I think it would play better if we win, or at least make it to the Super Bowl. Nice sentiment though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
MIne started in 1970 when my dad took me to watch the Bengals maul the Stealers 34-7. It was glorious.....
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:48 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: IIm With you two, I'll be 29 this year. Would love to see some postseason success for the first time in my life. 

Amen brother!!! Lets get it done!!! WHO DEY

(01-14-2022, 08:48 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'm doing tomorrow together with Chase and the gang!

Rock On Who Dey
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Early 70s for me and never wavered through good or bad
Reply/Quote
Anyone else have one side of their family root for the Bengals, and the other side root for the Browns or another team?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:34 PM)magikod Wrote: Anyone else have one side of their family root for the Bengals, and the other side root for the Browns or another team?

This is difficult because most Browns fans keep their breeding within their own family, thus ensuring another generation of Browns fans.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:34 PM)magikod Wrote: Anyone else have one side of their family root for the Bengals, and the other side root for the Browns or another team?

I am the only one in mine that roots for the Bengals. Everyone else is a Browns sniffer.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am the only one in mine that roots for the Bengals. Everyone else is a Browns sniffer.

Dads side is Bengals, Moms side is Browns.

I picked the Bengals!  Cool  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
In my entire life, I've cried just once over the result of a sporting event. Montana to Taylor with :34 took away our Superbowl dream. If we win tomorrow, I may cry again... this time tears of joy.
Reply/Quote
I was born in the 80s, so I missed out on all that good back-in-the-day playoff success. So although I can’t consider myself “old guard”, I still grew up with this team as part of my childhood, and the fandom has been there all along.

I’m anxious to see the first playoff win that I will remember. It’s gonna be a great time around here soon.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:24 PM)BucketE Wrote: 50 years for me, I was seven when I boarded this nightmare train in 1971 lol

Lol. Im in the seat right in front of you
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:54 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: I was born in the 80s, so I missed out on all that good back-in-the-day playoff success. So although I can’t consider myself “old guard”, I still grew up with this team as part of my childhood, and the fandom has been there all along.

I’m anxious to see the first playoff win that I will remember. It’s gonna be a great time around here soon.

A lot of lean years also. Steelers had our number back then also.
Reply/Quote
Began following the team when I was 9. My family always gave me crap for liking the Pats and Tom Brady. They called me a "bandwagoner". Just because they were the first team I was exposed to (becasuse of the buzz around Brady taking Beldsoe's spot) doesn't make me a bandwagoner.

So one day, I got sick of it. It was time to pick a new, organic team to follow. I was playing Madden on the PS2 when I cam across a striped team, Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson, and Chad Johnson.

I thought to myself: "this is a good team" Will probably perform really well and make the super Bowl in a few years.

Well...shit.
Reply/Quote
Been a Bengals fan since the beginning except for a short hiatus when I was drafted in ‘69. Most, not all, of the family and some friends continued to be Browns fans and some still are. Ohio natives tend to be stubborn; how else could two fan bases endure so much for so long. Win or lose I look forward to rooting for the team for many years to come!

Cheers to all here and here’s to a new day  Who Dey
Reply/Quote

Bengal fan since '76

Me> Bengals
Family> New York Giants

What sucked for me growing up is the Bengals rarely played the Giants. At least when they did, the Bengals beat them (Remember the 1985 classic?). The Jets on the other hand always seemed to beat the Bengals. Effing Freeman McNeil!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 01:49 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Bengal fan since '76

Me> Bengals
Family> New York Giants

What sucked for me growing up is the Bengals rarely played the Giants. At least when they did, the Bengals beat them (Remember the 1985 classic?). The Jets on the other hand always seemed to beat the Bengals. Effing Freeman McNeil!

Haha

My fathers side was Packers fans back in the day. Grew up in Middletown, Ohio so when the Bengals came around they switched over back in 1968.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 01:49 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Bengal fan since '76

Me> Bengals
Family> New York Giants

Brown vs. Giants in the late 50's was epic.  Jim Brown vs. Sam Huff.  Mud and blood.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 08:53 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Brown vs. Giants in the late 50's was epic.  Jim Brown vs. Sam Huff.  Mud and blood.

I can only imagine that ground attack. 

Jim Brown was a man playing amongst boys!

+rep to you Speedy Thomas, Who Dey!!!! Hope your getting ready for the game!!!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:54 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I just turned 30 last month... haven't seen 1 playoff win. We are over due.

All Hail the Mighty Joe Burrow!

You're seeing one this evening... All of that 31 years since this or that ends tonight. Then it's on to the next one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote