Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Worrisome Quote
In another thread, it details that Burrow only has 1 1st Quarter TD in his career. So why the slow starts?

To me this screams coaching and not being able to adjust on the fly:

On any potential reasons for two slow starts this season on offense

"I's tough to say. You'd like to start faster obviously. No touchdowns in either first half. It's not up to our standard. We would like to start faster, but the defenses that we're getting earlier are always different than the ones that are on film. I think that probably plays a part in it, but we've just got to do a better job of adjusting fast."

https://www.bengals.com/news/everything-the-bengals-had-to-say-after-week-2
Reply/Quote
Yeah, that kinds of insinuates that both Burrow and Taylor are stupid. The notion that unless you see a defense on film you can't adjust on the fly says their brains literally cannot form independent thoughts at game time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yeah, that kinds of insinuates that both Burrow and Taylor are stupid. The notion that unless you see a defense on film you can't adjust on the fly says their brains literally cannot form independent thoughts at game time.

Yes...and well...NFL Teams are going to custom adjust to what you do well.

A Cover 2 defense shouldn't be hard to beat!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yeah, that kinds of insinuates that both Burrow and Taylor are stupid. The notion that unless you see a defense on film you can't adjust on the fly says their brains literally cannot form independent thoughts at game time.

You script the first 20-25 plays of your offense with some variations for down and distance and such. The film work is to give you an idea of what you will see. What has been happening is teams are differing SOOO much from what they normally do to stop us (Like KC got last year) we now have to assume everyone will which means we will probably script in an offense build around Cover 2 going forward until teams get out of it.

The reason the 2nd halves have gone better is we make some adjustments after half, but the idea scripting of scripting to film is to have a well established and practiced plan of attack. This is exactly what KC had to go through last year.
Reply/Quote
They should just open the game in two minute offense - empty backfield.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: You script the first 20-25 plays of your offense with some variations for down and distance and such. The film work is to give you an idea of what you will see. What has been happening is teams are differing SOOO much from what they normally do to stop us (Like KC got last year) we now have to assume everyone will which means we will probably script in an offense build around Cover 2 going forward until teams get out of it.

The reason the 2nd halves have gone better is we make some adjustments after half, but the idea scripting of scripting to film is to have a well established and practiced plan of attack. This is exactly what KC had to go through last year.

The strange part is that both Taylor and Burrow talked during camp about the fact they'll see a lot more cover 2 this year, but it doesn't appear they prepared very well for what they knew was coming. That's a coaching failure on Zac and Brian's part and Burrow has made some pretty bad reads / decisions on his part. Everyone just looks confused and out of whack in the 1st halves of the 1st 2 games, and at times in the 2nd halves too. 

Then, there's the stubbornness that keeps wanting to employ the wide zone too much in the run game when they really don't have the players for it and it's constantly failing due to quick penetration and lack of athleticism on this line.

The overall offense scheme is just a muddled mess right now. The coaches seem to be trying to figure it out on the fly, and it's led to heavy doses of passive, predictable play calling.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: You script the first 20-25 plays of your offense with some variations for down and distance and such. The film work is to give you an idea of what you will see. What has been happening is teams are differing SOOO much from what they normally do to stop us (Like KC got last year) we now have to assume everyone will which means we will probably script in an offense build around Cover 2 going forward until teams get out of it.

My question is after you come out and play a series and have to punt. Why can't you change right then and there ? It's not like the rest of the playbook is locked in a vault and can't be used no matter what. Adjusting on the fly is what winning teams do.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My question is after you come out and play a series and have to punt. Why can't you change right then and there ? It's not like the rest of the playbook is locked in a vault and can't be used no matter what. Adjusting on the fly is what winning teams do.

Because you don't have that many plays on the playsheet beyond the script for the week and then some options off that stuff. You want to give it a couple series to see if it was a single series look or if this is the gameplan for the week. You can sometimes, if you have continuity, go to the bench and recall some past game plans but this team has a decent amount of new parts at O line and TE. It's actually one of the bigger misconceptions in football that playbooks have hundreds of plays like Madden. In any given week you may only have 30-40 different plays and some of those are just the same play repackaged in different looks.

I will say it is a bit of a new phenomenon to simply run an entirely different defensive scheme based on the team you are playing. I get the feeling they have thought that at some point they'd go back to their base defense and teams simply have not. At this point if the script for this week isn't a ton of cover 2 beaters then I have little hope in the game planning being done.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mixon has been pretty underwhelming so far this season.

Hell, the only 2 guys on offense that haven’t been are probably Chase and Karras, imo.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon has been pretty underwhelming so far this season.

Hell, the only 2 guys on offense that haven’t been are probably Chase and Karras, imo.

In cover 2 and the safeties deep you have to run the ball and get 20 yard chunks. It’s not happening.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon has been pretty underwhelming so far this season.

I saw a stat that he's been terrible at breaking tackles.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw a stat that he's been terrible at breaking tackles.

He is. Has always been. They need to try Evans and see if he has anything.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon has been pretty underwhelming so far this season.

When's the last time a team won the Super Bowl with a top contract RB? The 2013 Seahawks? Mixon is no Beast Mode.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mixon has great hands and is good in space, but I think his center of mass is too high for a between the tackles runner. He always seems like he is diving forward right when he gets the ball, and while this lets him consistently squeeze a few yards out, it's also why he never breaks a big one through the middle.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mixon has always had poor vision and can never break a run for shit. We give him the ball every first like it’s in his contract then act like hes a beast. Not saying he sucks, he’s just not as good as he’s hyped up to be. So this line can’t pass block or run block? Something is seriously wrong here. Even shitty lines can sometimes be good at one or the other. Maybe other teams don’t fear Mixon. Maybe they know he isn’t breaking crap and even if he does he will run right at the next defender he sees. He rarely makes anything happen. Where the bell is Evens? Alright now this team has me all freakin cranky.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:59 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They should just open the game in two minute offense - empty backfield.

They did that in steelers game and pick 6, xD
Reply/Quote
The best part is you won't remember many 3rd and 4th and shorts that are run plays for a 1st. This is why 1st and 1 on the goal line is a FGA.
Reply/Quote
I was ready for Paul Alexander to leave but he is a great weekly guest on moving the chains.

He stated yesterday that open is good for pass pro if the receivers are stretched all across field but really bad if bunched because that gives the D more options on who to rush.

Any thoughts by the expert football guys in this board?

Was this a veiled criticism of Taylor?

Someone here will no better than me.
Reply/Quote

Considering how well we have been making adjustments in the 2nd half, I wonder why we can't make some of them BEFORE the half. Like if you're seeing a different defense than what you prepared for, what are you doing in the half to make successful adjustments and how can you make them sooner?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote