Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple things
(08-28-2017, 12:08 AM)Millhouse Wrote: If AJM was hot garbage, then Andy was slightly less hot garbage. But in Andy's defense, he was playing against number 1s on D. However in AJMs defense he was playing with second stringers.

Also that interception by AJM should have been a PI. If the wr was not held, at the worst was an incompletion.

Dalton looked pretty sharp to me....save for the throw to Kroft that was still catchable.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 11:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Driskell has looked better than McCarron this preseason, but he still needs to work on touch passing. 

Agreed....and that should come with reps....hopefully.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Dalton looked pretty sharp to me....save for the throw to Kroft that was still catchable.

He had good first series, then just kinda disappeared. He was 8/13 for 70 yards in the first half. AJM was 7/13 for 80 yards. And an int caused by pi that wasnt called. Im not trying to bash Dalton, just trying to show our passing game wasnt that good today overall. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:30 AM)Millhouse Wrote: He had good first series, then just kind of disappeared. He was 8/13 for 70 yards in the first half. AJM was 7/13 for 80 yards. And an int caused by pi that wasn't called. I'm not trying to bash Dalton, just trying to show our passing game wasn't that good today overall. 

Dalton was pretty sharp in first quarter with mostly quick, short passes. The team looked pretty bad most of second quarter. What happened? I have not, and may not, watch the second half. The cave in seems pretty reminiscent of a lot of M. Lewis coached games.
I thought Billings looked terrible even in the first Quarter -- a major disappointment. Hopefully he gets better. M. Johnson was playing out of his mind then too.
Reply/Quote
The reason its so frustrating seeing the Bengals decline trade offers for McCarron (they reported did decline a second round pick at some point in the off season) is because most fans recognize he is a very average Quarterback. He has decent touch and mobility in the pocket but not a single thing he does is elite or possibly even above average.

The coaches and ownership seem content to just ride out his contract, give him a tendered offer (if he's even a RFA. If he's an UFA, then we're shit out of luck in terms of compensation for him) and ultimately let him walk for very little gain.

All for the sake of "What if Dalton gets hurt?" as if the answer to that question isn't "The season is over" regardless of who's sitting behind him.

Maybe a team will have an injury and get desperate like Sam Bradford and the Vikings last year.

But the more time goes by, the more I realize we're just waiting for something that, for no real reason at all, our ownership simply refuses to do, despite the value it would bring to this team.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: 1. I love vontaze burfict and I don't care who knows it. I want to scream it from the top of a mountain for everyone to hear. But I don't have a mountain, I have this message board. I love you vontaze burfict. Never change.

2. It's time to put this notion that AJ Mccarron is an NFL starter to bed. He is not and will never be a successful starter in this league. A first round pick will never happen. And any team(s) that "offered" a second round pick are fools. Hot garbage against hot garbage defenders. Anyone that disagrees can make like a hockey team and get the puck out of here!

There I said it and now I feel better.

More reason to why we should have traded him for that 2nd rounder. Lets face it, i dont think theres a team in the league that actually believes that their number 2 QB can take them the distance. The best you can hope for is that he's not bad enough to cost you games. AJ is that, from what we've seen hes not going to lose you games, but he's not hoisting the team on his back and taking you to a Superbowl. A second rounder was way more then what he is worth, and we scoffed at it which was dumb.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 07:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: More reason to why we should have traded him for that 2nd rounder. Lets face it, i dont think theres a team in the league that actually believes that their number 2 QB can take them the distance. The best you can hope for is that he's not bad enough to cost you games. AJ is that, from what we've seen hes not going to lose you games, but he's not hoisting the team on his back and taking you to a Superbowl. A second rounder was way more then what he is worth, and we scoffed at it which was dumb.

Agree! In all fairness, we didn't know what we have in Driskell, probably still don't. AJ hasn't looked good against #2s this preseason and Driskell has looked good against the guys trying to stick somewhere. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 11:00 PM)corpjet Wrote: Lets be honest, he's better than 5-6 starters in this league. He's one of the top back ups and we should have unloaded this past offseason.

With that being said, I would take him over "Smokin" Jay Cutler in Miami and Blake Bortles in Jacksonville.

He's probably on par with the worst starter in the league (right now, McCown, since the rookies are unproven) and not better than anyone else.

I'd take Bortles in an absolute heartbeat over McCarron.

McCarron will NEVER throw for 25 TDs in a season, let alone 35.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
There were reports earlier in the offseason that McCarron was pretty upset about not being traded and just didn't seem very interested in being in Cincinnati anymore. If he was thinking clearly, he would have used that as motivation to practice/play even better to improve his chances at a good landing spot after his time here is over. The direction his attitude is taking him is not good if he's allowing it to negatively impact his performance, thus making him less desirable to another team and prolonging his time here.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 11:39 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think the receiver was being held if I remember the play correctly.

He wasn't being held so hard that he couldn't go get the ball. He made a point to play up the hold and didn't give half as much effort into trying to make the catch.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 02:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There were reports earlier in the offseason that McCarron was pretty upset about not being traded and just didn't seem very interested in being in Cincinnati anymore. If he was thinking clearly, he would have used that as motivation to practice/play even better to improve his chances at a good landing spot after his time here is over. The direction his attitude is taking him is not good if he's allowing it to negatively impact his performance, thus making him less desirable to another team and prolonging his time here.

Naaawwwwwwwww......that couldn't be could it?  Leadership abilities and all......

In all seriousness, if that IS the case, you are 100% correct.  Also if true, that calls into question these leadership traits we always hear about.  I don't know what to make of that, it hasn't seemed to be him in the past.

Reply/Quote
The second round offer was debunked just like the rumored offer last year.

On the pick, Core was held but AJM threw the thing right to the defender so even without the old it was getting picked.

As to why our offense faded in the second quarter, it looked like all of a sudden the playcalling got schizoid. We started being really timid in odd situations, got behind in the down/distance count then had to try low percentage plays to try to move the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: The second round offer was debunked just like the rumored offer last year.

On the pick, Core was held but AJM threw the thing right to the defender so even without the old it was getting picked.

As to why our offense faded in the second quarter, it looked like all of a sudden the playcalling got schizoid. We started being really timid in odd situations, got behind in the down/distance count then had to try low percentage plays to try to move the ball.

So basically standard operating procedure.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: 1. I love vontaze burfict and I don't care who knows it. I want to scream it from the top of a mountain for everyone to hear. But I don't have a mountain, I have this message board. I love you vontaze burfict. Never change.

2. It's time to put this notion that AJ Mccarron is an NFL starter to bed. He is not and will never be a successful starter in this league. A first round pick will never happen. And any team(s) that "offered" a second round pick are fools. Hot garbage against hot garbage defenders. Anyone that disagrees can make like a hockey team and get the puck out of here!

There I said it and now I feel better.

Agree completely with those couple things Real Deal lol

Burfict is the new Ray Lewis but faster and hits even harder. Same instincts and flies all over the field.

Seeing him this fit is awesome, this suspension better get significantly reduced cuz this be bull.

Funnest LB to watch in the NFL. The NFL just hates that Burfict is in Cincy and not in Pit or New England.

AJM is proving just what lots of us thought and has even seemed to regress big time.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 11:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: He looked good for a series or two against Tampa....otherwise he's been rather underwhelming.  I'm liking the Driskel kid...very nice strike to Kermit Whitfield too.

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Driskel has excelled and his mobility is nice as well, an added weapon for a defense to look out for. Not too mention it helps to be able to run for 6 or 7 yards when the O-line collapses with what we currently have up front.

That 2nd round pick sure would look nice right about now, plus it would free up another spot on the roster too keep someone around instead of having to carry 3 QBs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:09 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Driskel has excelled and his mobility is nice as well, an added weapon for a defense to look out for. Not too mention it helps to be able to run for 6 or 7 yards when the O-line collapses with what we currently have up front.

That 2nd round pick sure would look nice right about now, plus it would free up another spot on the roster too keep someone around instead of having to carry 3 QBs.

Driskell actually surprised me with that ball to Kermit. Looked pretty, that is the way you throw.

Him having the escapability with that arm is awesome. Seems to have quicker release than AJM.

AJM holds onto the ball too long still. We aren't getting a 2nd rounder for him now that is for sure.

Sucks but guess the coaches didn't trust in Driskell enough at the time and they didn't see AJM's probs.

I find it hard to believe that every offer was a lie honestly.
Reply/Quote