Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A different look mock
Wanted to give the draft a bit of a different look and discuss reasons why certain players fit.  Please take time to comment and let me know why you like or dislike certain picks so we can get some discussions going about these guys.  

please note that round 6-7 guys I didn't put any comments on because their all guys who can be potential starters but can be role players on ST.  If you have a question about a guy or opinion feel free to comment.

TRADES

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

SENT:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 11

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 18
ROUND: 2 PICK: 18

R1P18  

TE T.J. HOCKENSON

IOWA

[Image: webminn-15-900x600.jpg]

Player Comp: Heath Miller 

A more athletic version of Heath Miller who I have as his player comp and the only offensive player I would take in round 1.  TJ is my #1 TE in this year's draft because of the entire package he brings to the table and his upside as a player.  He was a high school WR and Star Basketball player who only converted to TE when he moved to college.  He has probably the best hands of any receiver or tight end in this draft and he's one of the best blocking tight ends to come out in years.  Considering his progression in college and his ceiling I just couldn't pass him up after moving back in the draft.  Everyone is going to scream linebacker, but If I just watch tape on White, Bush, and Hockenson then ask myself who is the best potential vs risk player It lands me on Hockenson every day of the week.

R2P10  

S JOHNATHAN ABRAM

MISSISSIPPI STATE

[Image: 7604715.jpg]

Player Comp:  Keanu Neal 

Tough, angry, and tone-setter are just a few of the terms I would use to describe Jonathan Abrams.  He's a SS that would be mainly used in a 4-2-5 as a converted linebacker aka nickel safety.   Is he the best cover safety coming out? nope but he also doesn't get destroyed in coverage, but his true talent is blitz packages, run stoppage, and being a missile on the field.  I mean this guy lays it on dudes and he has the ceiling of being a Troy Polamalu level prospect, in fact, their measurables are pretty comparable.  One of the best players on the top rated college defense and a born team leader.

R2P18  

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

[Image: 122118-FBC-MSU-Simmons-1-WEB.jpg]

Player Comp: Ndamukong Suh

Let me start off by saying no one can guess where he will go in this draft considering he has a red flag similar to Mixon I'm putting him in this range.  Talent wise he's a top 10 pick and probably the 2nd best DT in the draft, but he was recorded stomping out a girl in his neighborhood when he was in high school.  When I look into the story and see interviews with him today I don't see the same kid who blasted a girl fighting with his mom.  I feel that just like Mixon he will be a better adult than he was a child and will not repeat the mistakes made.

What I like most about him is that he's a 3 down DT who will play mostly 1 tech but in a pinch can switch to 3 tech as well.  He has a great pass rush playing the B gap, but can also hold up as a smaller NT when needed.  Missippi State was the #1 defense in the nation last year and he was a big part of the reason this was the case.

R3P8  

LB BLAKE CASHMAN

MINNESOTA

[Image: Cashman_Blake_UMN_22.jpg]

[url=http://thebengalsboard.com/newthread.php?fid=31&processed=1#][/url]Player Comp: Sean Lee

From Sleeper to combine riser Cashman is making waves in the scouting community and for good reason.  First, this guy was a walk-on and eventually became the team captain at Minnesota.  Cashman has a very high football IQ and you see that in his ability to diagnose plays quickly on tape.  The next thing you will notice is his ability to fly to the football and on the field, speed matches his testing speed with a 4.5 at the combine.  The crazy thing is that as a prospect he is a better linebacker than Devin White, but White has such freaky athleticism that he has all-time great potential, but as a third-round pick, he's exactly what we need to replace Burfict at WILL.

btw don't be surprised if this guy goes late first or early second before all is said and done, this is a weak linebacker class and he's a rising star.

R4P8  

OT MAX SCHARPING

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

[Image: YPSSNFQPQBEIHHGVZALS4DLD6Q.jpg]

Player Comp: Ricky Wagner

Now, this pick is interchangeable between two guys(Max Scharping and Tytus Howard) and if either is available at the start of 4th I wouldn't hesitate to move up to secure them.  I actually prefer Max over Tytus simply because I feel like that his home will eventually be at RT and he will be a dominant rush tackle which fits into the run first scheme that we want with Mixon.  I don't feel like this OT class overall is great, but the more tape I watched the more I realized that some of the later guys may end up being better players than some over this overhyped prospects in the earlier rounds.  If you want to know more about Max just go watch his standout senior bowl tape and you will see this guy has the potential to be a long time starter in the NFL.  

R5P11  

OT CHUMA EDOGA

USC

[Image: uuvpan8l7vdwocajvpne]

Edoga is rising up them boards guys and for good reason, he has a lot of natural talent for the position.  PFF has begun the hype train on him last week when they listed him statistically as the best pass protecting tackle in the draft for pass protection.  Combine that with the fact that the guy is a nasty run blocker then you have to stand up and pay attention to the player.   To learn more watch some of his senior bowl footage and see why he was a standout.

R6P10  

CB COREY BALLENTINE

WASHBURN

[Image: 7JmQgFgq_400x400.jpg]

R6P25  

RB DEXTER WILLIAMS

NOTRE DAME

[Image: usa_today_10301408.0.jpg]

R6P37  

WR DARIUS SLAYTON

AUBURN

[Image: AUFootball_CAW15.jpg]

R6P38  

LB JOE GILES-HARRIS

DUKE

[Image: 6abd00f4ac1f4406805370076ec8bd28.jpg?wid...1&fit=crop]

R6P40  

LB SIONE TAKITAKI

BYU

[Image: 262c83a96d884883aa3864ceb7eddab7.jpg?wid...0&fit=crop]

R7P9  

OT MITCH HYATT

CLEMSON

[Image: Mitch-Hyatt.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 05:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Wanted to give the draft a bit of a different look and discuss reasons why certain players fit.  Please take time to comment and let me know why you like or dislike certain picks so we can get some discussions going about these guys.  

please note that round 6-7 guys I didn't put any comments on because their all guys who can be potential starters but can be role players on ST.  If you have a question about a guy or opinion feel free to comment.

TRADES

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

SENT:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 11

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 18
ROUND: 2 PICK: 18

R1P18  

TE T.J. HOCKENSON

IOWA

[Image: webminn-15-900x600.jpg]

Player Comp: Heath Miller 

A more athletic version of Heath Miller who I have as his player comp and the only offensive player I would take in round 1.  TJ is my #1 TE in this year's draft because of the entire package he brings to the table and his upside as a player.  He was a high school WR and Star Basketball player who only converted to TE when he moved to college.  He has probably the best hands of any receiver or tight end in this draft and he's one of the best blocking tight ends to come out in years.  Considering his progression in college and his ceiling I just couldn't pass him up after moving back in the draft.  Everyone is going to scream linebacker, but If I just watch tape on White, Bush, and Hockenson then ask myself who is the best potential vs risk player It lands me on Hockenson every day of the week.

R2P10  

S JOHNATHAN ABRAM

MISSISSIPPI STATE

[Image: 7604715.jpg]

Player Comp:  Keanu Neal 

Tough, angry, and tone-setter are just a few of the terms I would use to describe Jonathan Abrams.  He's a SS that would be mainly used in a 4-2-5 as a converted linebacker aka nickel safety.   Is he the best cover safety coming out? nope but he also doesn't get destroyed in coverage, but his true talent is blitz packages, run stoppage, and being a missile on the field.  I mean this guy lays it on dudes and he has the ceiling of being a Troy Polamalu level prospect, in fact, their measurables are pretty comparable.  One of the best players on the top rated college defense and a born team leader.

R2P18  

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS

MISSISSIPPI STATE

[Image: 122118-FBC-MSU-Simmons-1-WEB.jpg]

Player Comp: Ndamukong Suh

Let me start off by saying no one can guess where he will go in this draft considering he has a red flag similar to Mixon I'm putting him in this range.  Talent wise he's a top 10 pick and probably the 2nd best DT in the draft, but he was recorded stomping out a girl in his neighborhood when he was in high school.  When I look into the story and see interviews with him today I don't see the same kid who blasted a girl fighting with his mom.  I feel that just like Mixon he will be a better adult than he was a child and will not repeat the mistakes made.

What I like most about him is that he's a 3 down DT who will play mostly 1 tech but in a pinch can switch to 3 tech as well.  He has a great pass rush playing the B gap, but can also hold up as a smaller NT when needed.  Missippi State was the #1 defense in the nation last year and he was a big part of the reason this was the case.

R3P8  

LB BLAKE CASHMAN

MINNESOTA

[Image: Cashman_Blake_UMN_22.jpg]

[url=http://thebengalsboard.com/newthread.php?fid=31&processed=1#][/url]Player Comp: Sean Lee

From Sleeper to combine riser Cashman is making waves in the scouting community and for good reason.  First, this guy was a walk-on and eventually became the team captain at Minnesota.  Cashman has a very high football IQ and you see that in his ability to diagnose plays quickly on tape.  The next thing you will notice is his ability to fly to the football and on the field, speed matches his testing speed with a 4.5 at the combine.  The crazy thing is that as a prospect he is a better linebacker than Devin White, but White has such freaky athleticism that he has all-time great potential, but as a third-round pick, he's exactly what we need to replace Burfict at WILL.

btw don't be surprised if this guy goes late first or early second before all is said and done, this is a weak linebacker class and he's a rising star.

R4P8  

OT MAX SCHARPING

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

[Image: YPSSNFQPQBEIHHGVZALS4DLD6Q.jpg]

Player Comp: Ricky Wagner

Now, this pick is interchangeable between two guys(Max Scharping and Tytus Howard) and if either is available at the start of 4th I wouldn't hesitate to move up to secure them.  I actually prefer Max over Tytus simply because I feel like that his home will eventually be at RT and he will be a dominant rush tackle which fits into the run first scheme that we want with Mixon.  I don't feel like this OT class overall is great, but the more tape I watched the more I realized that some of the later guys may end up being better players than some over this overhyped prospects in the earlier rounds.  If you want to know more about Max just go watch his standout senior bowl tape and you will see this guy has the potential to be a long time starter in the NFL.  

R5P11  

OT CHUMA EDOGA

USC

[Image: uuvpan8l7vdwocajvpne]

Edoga is rising up them boards guys and for good reason, he has a lot of natural talent for the position.  PFF has begun the hype train on him last week when they listed him statistically as the best pass protecting tackle in the draft for pass protection.  Combine that with the fact that the guy is a nasty run blocker then you have to stand up and pay attention to the player.   To learn more watch some of his senior bowl footage and see why he was a standout.

R6P10  

CB COREY BALLENTINE

WASHBURN

[Image: 7JmQgFgq_400x400.jpg]

R6P25  

RB DEXTER WILLIAMS

NOTRE DAME

[Image: usa_today_10301408.0.jpg]

R6P37  

WR DARIUS SLAYTON

AUBURN

[Image: AUFootball_CAW15.jpg]

R6P38  

LB JOE GILES-HARRIS

DUKE

[Image: 6abd00f4ac1f4406805370076ec8bd28.jpg?wid...1&fit=crop]

R6P40  

LB SIONE TAKITAKI

BYU

[Image: 262c83a96d884883aa3864ceb7eddab7.jpg?wid...0&fit=crop]

R7P9  

OT MITCH HYATT

CLEMSON

[Image: Mitch-Hyatt.jpg]

Hey,my friend,this is by far the best draft I have seen on these boards,you have spent a ton of time on this and it sure shows.I would be so happy if this turned out even close to this.You have nailed it and this draft would make us a contender now.I enjoy reading your imput on here.Great job,you have earned much respect on here. I put your draft on my favorites list to compare draft day. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 06:41 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Hey,my friend,this is by far the best draft I have seen on these boards,you have spent a ton of time on this and it sure shows.I would be so happy if this turned out even close to this.You have nailed it and this draft would make us a contender now.I enjoy reading your imput on here.Great job,you have earned much respect on here. I put your draft on my favorites list to compare draft day. ThumbsUp :andy:

thanks for the feedback!  

Reply/Quote
It's a nice mock and I like the idea of trading back but I can't understand why Minnesota would trade up. They currently have the 2nd least salary cap space and have been sort of strapped in free agency due to their QB deal. They really need to add a couple of solid players in the draft since they couldn't do a bunch in free agency. They are most certainly gonna grab OL help in round 1 which they likely would not move up for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 08:00 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: It's a nice mock and I like the idea of trading back but I can't understand why Minnesota would trade up. They currently have the 2nd least salary cap space and have been sort of strapped in free agency due to their QB deal. They really need to add a couple of solid players in the draft since they couldn't do a bunch in free agency. They are most certainly gonna grab OL help in round 1 which they likely would not move up for.

Anything can happen during the draft and you never know who may want to move up to secure a guy they love that drops out of top 10.  This is just an example, but it could really be anyone.

Reply/Quote
A lot of thought went into this Okeana, i like it honestly. I do think we should go LB and OT earlier than this but by the time you look at all the players you hauled in i think both positions get addressed properly. I like Cashman and with Edoga and Sharping one of them should be a solid RT for us and should take Hart's spot no problem if the coaches are fair.

Getting Hoch, Abram, Simmons on top of this kind of knocks this one out of the park.

Those are some highly talented gamechanging type players right there.

Great job, one of my favorite mocks the more i think about it.
Reply/Quote
I like what you did. In fact, if it fell this way I would be thrilled.

I just can't see Hockenson being around that late as well as the Mississippi State guys. But if they do, it's a no brainer A+ draft.
Reply/Quote
I gotta say, I like what you did and agree with a lot of what you said. OTs, there will be a lot good ones on day 2 or 3. I think this is the hardest draft to mock, because let's face it, RD1 is easy, day 2 and 3 have a lot of very good players and will be the meat and potatoes of anyone's team. I guess what I am saying is, we could go any which direction and I like the players you mocked.
Reply/Quote
Cashman doesnt address out linebacker problem imo ur bringing in a depth guy or a role player. no thanks on this one but thanks for sharing.
Reply/Quote
I think Hochenson TE is the safest pick at 11 because I think the team uses Eifert selectively during the season. The possibility of 3 TE sets would be hard to defend given Dalton's quick release.

I love the OT from USC.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote