Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A different position to look for in the draft.
With RPO and Spread offenses becoming a bigger part of the NFL Saban/Belichick's STAR defensive back is becoming a bigger part in NFL defenses.

The STAR is a Linebacker/Defensive Back hybrid it can be played by a linebacker safety or corner its essentially a SAM linebacker that can do it all. The Bengals used one quite a bit during the season with Brandon Wilson, Clayton Fejedelem, Darqueze Dennard, and have signed Tony Brown that played that position at Alabama. I figured I'd list a few guys in the draft they could look at to fill that role.

Even though they dont have a shot at him Isaiah Simmons is the exact model for the STAR he can line up over TE Slot Linebacker in the box or Safety playing overhang. He can do it all...but like I said no shot.

Troy Dye I believe could fill the role. He can cover is fast and quick enough to play overhang and has lots of experience as a LB.

Syhiem Carter plays the STAR for Alabama. Carter is more of the corner that plays this position. He is physical in coverage and can tackle.

Tanner Muse is the SS for Clemson but is a little stiff to play cover 2 in the NFL but he has the size and speed to be a STAR.

Kyle Dugger is a SS in Div 2. He has the size and all the athleticism you want to play in the NFL but he is very raw as a player. He already has listed workout numbers because of a magazine article. He's 6'2 217 4.41 40, 40 inch vert ,11 foot broad, 6.7 3cone, and 20 reps of 225. Dugger will be at the Senior Bowl.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 04:52 PM)Synric Wrote: With RPO and Spread offenses becoming a bigger part of the NFL Saban/Belichick's STAR defensive back is becoming a bigger part in NFL defenses.

The STAR is a Linebacker/Defensive Back hybrid it can be played by a linebacker safety or corner its essentially a SAM linebacker that can do it all. The Bengals used one quite a bit during the season with Brandon Wilson, Clayton Fejedelem, Darqueze Dennard, and have signed Tony Brown that played that position at Alabama. I figured I'd list a few guys in the draft they could look at to fill that role.

Even though they dont have a shot at him Isaiah Simmons is the exact model for the STAR he can line up over TE Slot Linebacker in the box or Safety playing overhang. He can do it all...but like I said no shot.

Troy Dye I believe could fill the role. He can cover is fast and quick enough to play overhang and has lots of experience as a LB.

Syhiem Carter plays the STAR for Alabama. Carter is more of the corner that plays this position. He is physical in coverage and can tackle.

Tanner Muse is the SS for Clemson but is a little stiff to play cover 2 in the NFL but he has the size and speed to be a STAR.

Kyle Dugger is a SS in Div 2. He has the size and all the athleticism you want to play in the NFL but he is very raw as a player. He already has listed workout numbers because of a magazine article. He's 6'2 217 4.41 40, 40 inch vert ,11 foot broad, 6.7 3cone, and 20 reps of 225. Dugger will be at the Senior Bowl.
I think McKinney from Alabama who is listed as safety would be a good fit in round 2 but also Brooks from Wake Forest who could be a hybrid.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The real intrigue in this draft obviously is what we do with #33.

I was hoping Dye would fly under the radar as he's been mentioned as a 4th round type. He would easily be the best 3rd down LB (and other downs) on our team.
Reply/Quote
Hamsah Nasirildeen of Florida State is 6'3 210ish hybrid S/LB. He will be interesting to watch at the combine.

edit...looks like he is leaning to returning another year at Fla State
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 07:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The real intrigue in this draft obviously is what we do with #33.

I was hoping Dye would fly under the radar as he's been mentioned as a 4th round type.  He would easily be the best 3rd down LB (and other downs) on our team.

Dye wasn't going to stat under the radar long. He is gonna measure in at like 6'4 230 and will put up great numbers at the combine...Not to mention he is going to fly around the field at the Senior Bowl. I'm guessing he goes mid to late second but if he's there at the top of the 3rd I hope the Bengals jump on that pick.

(01-13-2020, 07:41 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Hamsah Nasirildeen of Florida State is 6'3 210ish hybrid S/LB.  He will be interesting to watch at the combine.

I believe Nasirildeen is going back to FSU for his Senior Year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Nah, let's get a 250+ lber who can play run defense but only right in front of him.
That will show those fancy offenses who like to spread and swing outside.
Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Every year we hear about how the hybrid LB/safety is about to take over the NFL, but yet here we are and they still haven't. This has been going on for almost a decade now at this point . I actually am going to take the counter point, I think teams are about to shift back to run heavy offenses with bigger personnel to counter the shift to smaller front 7 players. Look at San Fran and Tennessee, two teams who have gone counter culture with QB's who aren't elite (TEN more than SF) and they are going big and running over smaller defenses. Baltimore is doing this is a slightly different way but TEN countered by stacking the box with bigger personnel and making Lamar throw outside against tight man coverage. Heck, this was the model when Dallas brought Dak into the league. When you realize it's easier to build that offense then to find elite QB's I think we will see more teams jump on board due to their success.

If you happen into one of those guys as a utility piece it's never a bad thing but Simmons can simply be elite at multiple positions so he is a bit of an outlier. I just wouldn't go hunting down this specific player because I don't think going forward it's going to be that important.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Every year we hear about how the hybrid LB/safety is about to take over the NFL, but yet here we are and they still haven't. This has been going on for almost a decade now at this point . I actually am going to take the counter point, I think teams are about to shift back to run heavy offenses with bigger personnel to counter the shift to smaller front 7 players. Look at San Fran and Tennessee, two teams who have gone counter culture with QB's who aren't elite (TEN more than SF) and they are going big and running over smaller defenses. Baltimore is doing this is a slightly different way but TEN countered by stacking the box with bigger personnel and making Lamar throw outside against tight man coverage. Heck, this was the model when Dallas brought Dak into the league. When you realize it's easier to build that offense then to find elite QB's I think we will see more teams jump on board due to their success.

If you happen into one of those guys as a utility piece it's never a bad thing but Simmons can simply be elite at multiple positions so he is a bit of an outlier. I just wouldn't go hunting down this specific player because I don't think going forward it's going to be that important.

I mentioned it because it was a position the Bengals used quite a bit under Lou Anarumo with Dennard Wilson and Fej.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:11 PM)Synric Wrote: I mentioned it because it was a position the Bengals used quite a bit under Lou Anarumo with Dennard Wilson and Fej.

I think it was more a necessity because we literally ran out of linebackers who could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I think free agency may tell us more about what there plan is there.
Reply/Quote