Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dip into the Kool-aid
I realize that the fact that so many other teams - especially in our division - had good drafts needs to temper my optimism.    But I'm going to indulge in some optimism just the same.

Here are a few reasons for my optimistic view:

1) Obviously our new QB.   The guy has the it factor and (per the Locked on Bengals Podcast) players are already raving about his leadership.   Combine that with his competitiveness, mental toughness and his accuracy that alone makes me optimistic

2) We have upgraded the defensive backfield - especially with regard to tackling and the safety position.   I think we also landed a really good slot corner so there should be no drop off from Dennard.

3) I believe we have dramatically upgraded the linebacker position that will improve tackling and coverage - and just overall intelligence, recognition and and decisiveness

4) Adding Reader to the D-Line improves the ability to keep our linebackers free and upgrades the interior pass rush.

5) And it may not be perfect, but we have upgraded the O-line.   I believe Jonah Williams will be an upgrade and a constantly improving presence on the left side.   I believe we somewhat upgraded the RG position and I think Jordan will be an upgrade at the LG position.   And the more I read the more I believe that Fred Johnson displaces Hart and gives us a respectable presence at right tackle..  

6) The addition of Higgins adds a top outside threat to the WR room, that combined with the return of Green and Ross should make it a formidable position group and a deeper room

That's significant potential improvement at 6 position groups added to a team that started to play some respectable ball towards the end of the season though we were gutted at WR and O line and had average to inferior talent at the QB and LB position groups.

Today I'd say that makes us candidate to compete for a wildcard spot.   On other days I'm not quite so confident, but I am today.    Anyone else share my optimism?

Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm optimistic that they're in the process of turning it around. I'm just not so sure all things considered that we're making the playoffs this season ?

Taylor had a lot of things going against him last season, there's little doubt. And I'm willing to give him a 2nd chance this season to prove he's a capable play caller. They've taken big strides in improving the team as you point out. But now we need to see the results on the field.

And we can see the results without it always resulting in wins. Curt Warner made some remarks about Burrow that make sense. I can't find the video right now but basically he says. "Don't make the measure of a rookies success about X number of wins, X number of TD's and yards. The important thing is, is he understanding the playbook, is he finding the open receivers, is he improving at going thru his reads, and so on ? It's not always going to translate into W's"

And that's basically how I feel about the team in general this season, I've stated it many times. I want to see improvement in the chemistry, I want to see a team that looks like they belong, are "in" games, converting on 3rd down with some success, and just on and on. And it's not always gonna show up in the W column.

Having a team that's "in the mix" isn't out of the question. But it was a lot to fix in one offseason. If we see that improvement even if we're not in the playoffs I'll be happy.

Yes I'm drinking the Kool-Aid I guess ?
Reply/Quote
Hell yes, I am in for some optimism. Changed my mood to "Optimistic" with some little rainbow (?) after Burrow was drafted. You nailed some of the specifics, but for me it boils down to several simple things:

Defense improved at all levels. Massive improvements at LB and DT.

Offensive line has added Fred Johnson, XSF, Akeem Adeniji, and Jonah Williams to last year's starting squad.

Healthy AJ Green, RBs as receivers instead of blockers, and Joe Fricking Burrow leading the offense.

I don't think anyone could argue there has ever been a bigger offseason in franchise history. Coaches learned a lot in year 1, and started to figure out how to get the rushing attack going, and that was without the outside weapons they will have this year. If you aren't optimistic, I feel sorry for you. I totally get it. Lucy has pulled the football away so many times that we simply have lost any optimism. But this year, whether they make the playoffs or not, will be one of the most exciting in team history. I can see the offense doing well early, and maybe losing some shootouts, but when the defense starts to gel by mid-season....no one is going to want to play this team down the stretch. That's my cup of optimism, with a bourbon chaser.
Reply/Quote
All I know is.....I'm ready for some football!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2020, 08:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm optimistic that they're in the process of turning it around. I'm just not so sure all things considered that we're making the playoffs this season ?

Taylor had a lot of things going against him last season, there's little doubt. And I'm willing to give him a 2nd chance this season to prove he's a capable play caller. They've taken big strides in improving the team as you point out. But now we need to see the results on the field.

And we can see the results without it always resulting in wins. Curt Warner made some remarks about Burrow that make sense. I can't find the video right now but basically he says. "Don't make the measure of a rookies success about X number of wins, X number of TD's and yards. The important thing is, is he understanding the playbook, is he finding the open receivers, is he improving at going thru his reads, and so on ? It's not always going to translate into W's"

And that's basically how I feel about the team in general this season, I've stated it many times. I want to see improvement in the chemistry, I want to see a team that looks like they belong, are "in" games, converting on 3rd down with some success, and just on and on. And it's not always gonna show up in the W column.

Having a team that's "in the mix" isn't out of the question. But it was a lot to fix in one offseason. If we see that improvement even if we're not in the playoffs I'll be happy.

Yes I'm drinking the Kool-Aid I guess ?
Fair realism 74.   And I have the same litmus test you do in terms of performance vs wins.

Two biggest concerns for me:   The offensive line (obviously) and coaching - particularly play calling.

But I thought they made significant progress after the bye, and I believe our additions in the off season will yield significant results.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2020, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hell yes, I am in for some optimism.  Changed my mood to "Optimistic" with some little rainbow (?) after Burrow was drafted.  You nailed some of the specifics, but for me it boils down to several simple things:

Defense improved at all levels.  Massive improvements at LB and DT.

Offensive line has added Fred Johnson, XSF, Akeem Adeniji, and Jonah Williams to last year's starting squad.  

Healthy AJ Green, RBs as receivers instead of blockers, and Joe Fricking Burrow leading the offense.  

I don't think anyone could argue there has ever been a bigger offseason in franchise history.  Coaches learned a lot in year 1, and started to figure out how to get the rushing attack going, and that was without the outside weapons they will have this year.  If you aren't optimistic, I feel sorry for you.  I totally get it.  Lucy has pulled the football away so many times that we simply have lost any optimism.  But this year, whether they make the playoffs or not, will be one of the most exciting in team history.  I can see the offense doing well early, and maybe losing some shootouts, but when the defense starts to gel by mid-season....no one is going to want to play this team down the stretch.  That's my cup of optimism, with a bourbon chaser.

I think you could argue that those are all massive improvements, with more to come.   The most suspect of the changes are the offensive line, but even that causes me to be hopeful.

I click my shot glass of bourbon with yours.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2020, 11:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: All I know is.....I'm ready for some football!!!

AMEN!!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2020, 12:29 PM)3wt Wrote: I realize that the fact that so many other teams - especially in our division - had good drafts needs to temper my optimism.    But I'm going to indulge in some optimism just the same.

Here are a few reasons for my optimistic view:

1) Obviously our new QB.   The guy has the it factor and (per the Locked on Bengals Podcast) players are already raving about his leadership.   Combine that with his competitiveness, mental toughness and his accuracy that alone makes me optimistic

2) We have upgraded the defensive backfield - especially with regard to tackling and the safety position.   I think we also landed a really good slot corner so there should be no drop off from Dennard.

3) I believe we have dramatically upgraded the linebacker position that will improve tackling and coverage - and just overall intelligence, recognition and and decisiveness

4) Adding Reader to the D-Line improves the ability to keep our linebackers free and upgrades the interior pass rush.

5) And it may not be perfect, but we have upgraded the O-line.   I believe Jonah Williams will be an upgrade and a constantly improving presence on the left side.   I believe we somewhat upgraded the RG position and I think Jordan will be an upgrade at the LG position.   And the more I read the more I believe that Fred Johnson displaces Hart and gives us a respectable presence at right tackle..  

6) The addition of Higgins adds a top outside threat to the WR room, that combined with the return of Green and Ross should make it a formidable position group and a deeper room

That's significant potential improvement at 6 position groups added to a team that started to play some respectable ball towards the end of the season though we were gutted at WR and O line and had average to inferior talent at the QB and LB position groups.

Today I'd say that makes us candidate to compete for a wildcard spot.   On other days I'm not quite so confident, but I am today.    Anyone else share my optimism?

Joe

If the coaching improves I definitely share your optimism 3wt. The coaching last season left a lot to be desired but they sure
went out and did all the right things in the Offseason IMO. Will add Mixon and Boyd as players that could have big seasons as
both have shown the ability to stay healthy lately. Burrow loves to throw to the RB and Slot Receiver.

If this O-line gets significantly better Burrow and these guys could have monster seasons.

As you note the Defense was upgraded big time namely in stopping the run and tackling. The additions of Reader, Waynes, 
Alexander, Bynes, Wilson, ADG and Bailey are big. Could be a very good Defense we are looking at this season which could 
make us hard to run or pass on.

ST's was the best in the League last year so all 3 phases could be very good for all we know.
Reply/Quote