Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A first happened for me today...
I haven't been on today because my day was filled with nothing but meetings. Between work and what I do for the city, it was pretty much non-stop. After my last meeting, though, the nominating chair for our local Dem party asked me if I had an interest in running for either School Board or City Council. He was telling me that my knowledge and ability to discuss the issues had not gone unnoticed and several people had directed him my way.

I turned him down because I have a lot going on for a few more years, but it definitely felt good to be considered. Just thought I'd share since you folks get the brunt of my political ramblings.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-05-2018, 08:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I haven't been on today because my day was filled with nothing but meetings. Between work and what I do for the city, it was pretty much non-stop. After my last meeting, though, the nominating chair for our local Dem party asked me if I had an interest in running for either School Board or City Council. He was telling me that my knowledge and ability to discuss the issues had not gone unnoticed and several people had directed him my way.

I turned him down because I have a lot going on for a few more years, but it definitely felt good to be considered. Just thought I'd share since you folks get the brunt of my political ramblings.

Congratulations.

Also, guys like you should absolutely run for some office.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-05-2018, 08:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I haven't been on today because my day was filled with nothing but meetings. Between work and what I do for the city, it was pretty much non-stop. After my last meeting, though, the nominating chair for our local Dem party asked me if I had an interest in running for either School Board or City Council. He was telling me that my knowledge and ability to discuss the issues had not gone unnoticed and several people had directed him my way.

Dem party is so out of touch.

"Knowledge and ability to discuss the issues" are no longer political assets, Bels.   Or maybe it is different at the local level?

20 years ago, though, your public service would have been a positive force in your community.
(03-05-2018, 08:54 PM)Dill Wrote: Dem party is so out of touch.

"Knowledge and ability to discuss the issues" are no longer political assets, Bels.   Or maybe it is different at the local level?

20 years ago, though, your public service would have been a positive force in your community.

Local level has more use for this sort of thing. The higher level of government you get to the more distanced from reality they get.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Thought this was going to be about a woman flirting with you
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-05-2018, 09:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought this was going to be about a woman flirting with you

Nah, I wouldn't have even noticed that. My wife jokes about how obvious she had to be with me when we met because I'm terrible at picking up on those things. LOL

(03-05-2018, 09:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nah, I wouldn't have even noticed that. My wife jokes about how obvious she had to be with me when we met because I'm terrible at picking up on those things. LOL

You clearly have too much respect for your marriage to succeed in politics on the national level.  Well done!
Congratulations on getting asked. Personally, I think that you would be very good for your community.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I picture Matt doing a townhall and I can put my Ambien back in the drawer. Just kidding. I don’t use Ambien.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-05-2018, 09:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I picture Matt doing a townhall and I can put my Ambien back in the drawer. Just kidding. I don’t use Ambien.

It's actually one reason I said no. I didn't tell him this, I gave him other reasons, but wonks like me don't make great politicians. We are the folks that advise politicians.

(03-05-2018, 09:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nah, I wouldn't have even noticed that. My wife jokes about how obvious she had to be with me when we met because I'm terrible at picking up on those things. LOL

The good news is 99.9% percent of the time you don’t realize a girl is hitting on you, you are correct. (That’s the generic you)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Congrats mate. Always nice to be recruited.
(03-05-2018, 09:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually one reason I said no. I didn't tell him this, I gave him other reasons, but wonks like me don't make great politicians. We are the folks that advise politicians.

People don't want a typical politician, they more or less loathe typical politicians, it's just that's who they're usually stuck with because all the wonks step aside and let the networker through.
Which is a shame, really. Wonks that do run often don't do that bad. They just don't run. Even if guys who know what to look for would look at them.

I feel there's a certain kind of people, more or less people like you, that need to make their voices heard more in whatever form, especially now. Running for public office is a good way to contribute to the debate, let alone possibly being in office. So without any irony. I feel like if the opportunity presents itself to you in that way, you have to pursue it. It's a duty to the community these times. Or to the country or however solemn you want it out. No matter how, you need to do it.  Cool

[Edit because the German word "pathetisch" does not translate to "pathetic"]

I'm currently managing my coworker's campaign for school board. Fun stuff. Nothing makes you appreciate local government like canvassing and talking to people. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

As others have mentioned I think you should consider it.  I feel you are one of the more informed members on this board.  That said I don't think being a policy wonk is a negative thing, as long as you can articulate you're position in a concise manner. You would have speech writers and aides to help you with that  Ninja
(03-06-2018, 12:12 AM)hollodero Wrote: People don't want a typical politician, they more or less loathe typical politicians, it's just that's who they're usually stuck with because all the wonks step aside and let the networker through.
Which is a shame, really. Wonks that do run often don't do that bad. They just don't run. Even if guys who know what to look for would look at them.

I feel there's a certain kind of people, more or less people like you, that need to make their voices heard more in whatever form, especially now. Running for public office is a good way to contribute to the debate, let alone possibly being in office. So without any irony. I feel like if the opportunity presents itself to you in that way, you have to pursue it. It's a duty to the community these times. Or to the country or however solemn you want it out. No matter how, you need to do it.  Cool

[Edit because the German word "pathetisch" does not translate to "pathetic"]

This is all why I am involved in appointed positions in my municipal government. I'm about to start my second stint on the current board I am on. Either during or following this, I plan on being a part of our Planning Commission. These things allow my voice to be heard and I can put my input into things, but I'm not running for office. This isn't to say I'm not considering it for in the future, but right now either one of those things would take up a ton of time. Our local politics are a bit contentious right now, as well.

I did tell him, though, that I'd be willing to advise anyone and help them out on the policy side. This guy also does some of this, pulling data and providing it to Dem officials, here. So I will probably team up with him to work behind the scenes for the present.

(03-06-2018, 12:21 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm currently managing my coworker's campaign for school board. Fun stuff. Nothing makes you appreciate local government like canvassing and talking to people. 

I don't mind the idea of being an elected official, I just don't want to run. It's not that I'm ashamed of anything, I own up to my mistakes in life and see them as learning experiences. I just hate fundraising and as an introvert I get exhausted schmoozing. I know how, I just get worn down doing it.

(03-06-2018, 03:33 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: As others have mentioned I think you should consider it.  I feel you are one of the more informed members on this board.  That said I don't think being a policy wonk is a negative thing, as long as you can articulate you're position in a concise manner. You would have speech writers and aides to help you with that  Ninja

Yeah, fortunately I would not be called to make a ton of speeches. We usually do a town hall style debate during the election cycle, which is painful to watch. The lack of substantive responses is concerning, to say the least. I would definitely have to find that happy medium, though. LOL

that just means that wives with guys like us dont have to worry about us straying...we are too oblivious to when women are actually flirting (or at least thats my case)  Hilarious
People suck

That's awesome....and that's sad that you don't want to do it because you understand the policies and issues.  We need more people like that. 

And my wife says I flirt...I say I'm being nice.  But she also still thinks some other woman wants a fat, gray haired, middle aged guy with two kids and a mortgage!  LMAO!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-06-2018, 10:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is all why I am involved in appointed positions in my municipal government. I'm about to start my second stint on the current board I am on. Either during or following this, I plan on being a part of our Planning Commission. These things allow my voice to be heard and I can put my input into things, but I'm not running for office. This isn't to say I'm not considering it for in the future, but right now either one of those things would take up a ton of time. Our local politics are a bit contentious right now, as well.

I did tell him, though, that I'd be willing to advise anyone and help them out on the policy side. This guy also does some of this, pulling data and providing it to Dem officials, here. So I will probably team up with him to work behind the scenes for the present.

Well OK, that sure all are valuable contributions I did not intend to belittle. I guess it boils down to the question, who would run if you don't. And if that person is considerably less capable and intelligent, and makes the next town hall debate just as painful as you describe the recent ones, then I still question your choice. You might too, right.
I get all that not wanting to raise money and being more of an introvert reasons, and in more normal times I'd think that's perfectly fine, but in these times... people like you need to get over it and step up still, especially when given the opportunity. I remain a "you absolutely need to do it". OK that's all, I rest my case.
(03-06-2018, 11:05 AM)hollodero Wrote: Well OK, that sure all are valuable contributions I did not intend to belittle. I guess it boils down to the question, who would run if you don't. And if that person is considerably less capable and intelligent, and makes the next town hall debate just as painful as you describe the recent ones, then I still question your choice. You might too, right.
I get all that not wanting to raise money and being more of an introvert reasons, and in more normal times I'd think that's perfectly fine, but in these times... people like you need to get over it and step up still, especially when given the opportunity. I remain a "you absolutely need to do it". OK that's all, I rest my case.

I appreciate everything you're saying here. So there are two open seats this year the Dems are going to put up for, one candidate will be an incumbent and the other seat will be against a Republican that is a long time incumbent. There are currently two folks considering a run against the Rep, and both of them are good candidates. One of them is someone I actually advised on a run for our state legislature last year. Unfortunately, she lost in the primary, and then that guy was trounced.

Anyway, we won't be lacking in qualified candidates this year, which is another reason I have an easy time saying no. I have to say, though, you and others do make it a bit harder. LOL