Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good memory for you guys
Sometimes I miss Captain Pick 6, sometimes I don't. I was always his impeccable timing to throw them in crucial games especially right to our arch rivals... Oh the memories of disappointment past.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: Sometimes I miss Captain Pick 6, sometimes I don't. I was always his impeccable timing to throw them in crucial games especially right to our arch rivals... Oh the memories of disappointment past.. 

It's interesting looking at stats over different decades. How a guy like Aikman didn't throw a lot of TD's.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's interesting looking at stats over different decades. How a guy like Aikman didn't throw a lot of TD's.

And yet plenty of fans want to compare and equate different era's and forget that the very ground rules have changed as if players who wore leather helmets would undoubtedly thrive in today's NFL.. Some would, but back then pounding someone's brains into dust was considered part of the game kind of like baseball when ripping your opponents legs to shreds with sharpened spikes was part of the game.. My grandfather was a testament to the sharpened spikes era. By the time I was old enough his legs were like one giant scar.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's interesting looking at stats over different decades. How a guy like Aikman didn't throw a lot of TD's.

Emmitt Smith and Moose Johnston. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
When fans think back to that magical '09 season they often don't recall how low we all were going into that Green Bay game.

In '08 we only won 4 games (after starting 1-11-1).  Opening day of '09 we lost at home on one of the most bizarre bad luck plays in Bengal history (and that is saying a lot).  Even the most positive fans felt that '09 was destined to be another long painful losing season.

We had a lot of big wins that season, and you could argue that the division wins were "bigger".  But based on the timing that road win at Green Bay was as important as any of them.  If we don't win that game in week 2 the whole season might have slipped away.

BTW this should have been my first post in this thread instead of taking a shot at some other members.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 08:41 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve looked over every NFL message board and when it comes to real knowledge of the game, no one comes close to Bengals and Packers fans. It’s true.

I sat among a huge group of Packers fans at the 2005 game... Damned if they weren't the nicest people you'll ever meet.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:59 PM)jason Wrote: I sat among a huge group of Packers fans at the 2005 game... Damned if they weren't the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Kinda O/T, but the last game I attended was the Seattle comeback win of 2015.  I sat in the endzone where Huber doinked in the game winner off the left upright.  I was surrounded by Seahawks fans, and we had a fun time with some friendly banter, and well wishes after the game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:59 PM)jason Wrote: I sat among a huge group of Packers fans at the 2005 game... Damned if they weren't the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Agreed, also like Redskin fans.
Reply/Quote

You betcha!
Reply/Quote

Hofbrauhaus after any game when Green Bay is in town is always a good time, too.
Reply/Quote

I wonder if PackerBcker has ever read "The Fourth Hand" by John Irving.  It has a lot to do with family and Packer fandom.

Not the best of Irving's work, but I think Packer fans would like it.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Kinda O/T, but the last game I attended was the Seattle comeback win of 2015.  I sat in the endzone where Huber doinked in the game winner off the left upright.  I was surrounded by Seahawks fans, and we had a fun time with some friendly banter, and well wishes after the game.

I remember BSing with a Seahawks fan several years ago in a bar. We're talking at least 5 years prior to Russell Wilson or the LOB. Anyway... He'd just gone to a game in Cleveland, and had beer thrown on him while he was taking a leak, and was generally harassed throughout the game. I was just shaking my head listening to him. The adult human being in me finds that repugnant... But there's the fan boy part of me that kinda wishes our stadium wasn't always at least 10,000 under capacity, and fairly cozy to visiting fans.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote