Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hidden thing that I like about this years team
So in the 90's and 2000's the AFC North was smash mouth football. You needed a power team.

The Bengals defense had some speed through the years, but the LB's were generally big and plodding. This was epitomized by Maualuga - who was a big run-thumper. They had a big less-than-mobile guy like Peko clogging the run. They'd have guys like Dansby, etc. In essence, our defense was built to compete in the AFC North of 10 years ago. The disadvantage was our team speed was lower and we couldn't cover TE's.

Traditional Bengals offenses would have 1 fast WR then a slower, bigger possession guy. A TE who could catch the ball. Then blocking TE's who they'd sub in on running plays. The RB's were generally power guys...with some being fast. Usually these guys would catch 20-30 balls a year.

Well the division changed. The Steelers pass the ball a lot and have a dynamic running back. The league is like this.

We now have more agile LB's that should cover passes better. The defense should get better pass rush. There is just a lot more speed.

On offense, Mixon should add more speed. Ross obviously will. Guys like Hill just didn't have the speed needed to go against fast defense.

In summary, we're more built to compete in the modern, speed-driven NFL.

Will it pay off in playoff success? I don't know. The coaches mindsets will have to change to utilize the speed. The players will have to make plays. The offensive line will need to hold up.

What I do know is that we are built more like the teams that have success.
Reply/Quote
Great post, we added a lot of speed this Offseason no question. Ross, Mixon, Minter, Willis, Lawson, Evans, Wilson and don't forget
WJ3 and Billings who can move a hell of a lot faster than Peko. Billings chased WR's and RB's down from behind in college, crazy.

I bet Simmons is extremely excited about his ST's unit.
Reply/Quote
Atlanta's defense lacked big name talent...but had a lot of new starters and speed too...so teams can gel quick in the modern NFL.
Reply/Quote
The one area on defense where I have concern is Safety. Iloka kind of got exposed in pass coverage without Reggie Nelson's coverage skills and Williams proved to be a run stuffing safety.

But, having a year to gel together, they should be better.
Reply/Quote
Great post. Rep. I will say they will have to be very creative this year with their play calling on offense. I am super excited to see how Zamp runs this new offense. This probably fits his style more anyways from learning from west coast guys like Martz, but they will have to find ways to get short yardage from short passes vs running the rock like they've loved doing for so long.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One other hidden thing I coming around with is that I am starting to think that this line will fair better this year than last, even with less talent. I think the short, quick passes and PA's great track record with pass pro (not so much running), they could give Andy the 2-3 seconds he'll need to get rid f the ball more often than not. **Not in the face**

But IMO it still hinges on Zamp setting up, diagnosing and executing the game-plan properly.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: One other hidden thing I coming around with is that I am starting to think that this line will fair better this year than last, even with less talent. I think the short, quick passes and PA's great track record with pass pro (not so much running), they could give Andy the 2-3 seconds he'll need to get rid f the ball more often than not. **Not in the face**

But IMO it still hinges on Zamp setting up, diagnosing and executing the game-plan properly.

I think I agree with this as much as I can at this stage of the game.

It's counterintuitive: Lose your best 2 lineman and improve. But yeah...playcalling will be key. I think Smith will be a better in blocker than Zeitler.

OT's like Ced take a few years to develop sometimes...so he could have a massive jump this year. Happened with Levi Jones and countless others. Also, a lot of his issues were physical strength. That could be improved.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: One other hidden thing I coming around with is that I am starting to think that this line will fair better this year than last, even with less talent. I think the short, quick passes and PA's great track record with pass pro (not so much running), they could give Andy the 2-3 seconds he'll need to get rid f the ball more often than not. **Not in the face**

It is nice when your receivers get some seperation. I truly believe that was one of our biggest problems last year besides RT.
Reply/Quote
I agree to some extent but I think what makes this offense special is the balance that we can have.

In the run game, Mixon can go from an elusive runner that can make you miss and break off a long run to a banger that will just run defenders over. Now that's not to say that I think some of his runs should just be an attempt to pound the ball and only get three yards a pop, but just saying that, should the situation arise, Mixon can power over them, make them miss, or outrun them.

We know AJ can do it all.

Ross can go deep and outrun anybody but can also be a solid route runner and can just make defenses cover the entire field.

Cody Core is big with good speed and he's dedicated to improve. He can be coached because he gives 100%. You can't teach that.

If Eifert can stay healthy, he's a nightmare for defenses because he's so well-rounded, especially in the red zone.

We also have other pieces that are dangerous.

I just think that we can do so many different things that it's tough for teams to play D against us.

Our line still scares me but apparently has looked pretty good.

The league is moving more towards the pass but most teams don't have as many weapons as us and can't move the ball in as many different ways as us.

It's up to Zampese to use our balance and attack defenses to exploit their weaknesses.

On defense, I completely agree with you, especially in the secondary and I think we can just bring chaos to the field and destroy offenses.

I also think that Geno makes our defense fit in the NFL better than most defenses because how many other teams have tackles that are more productive in rushing the passer than most ends in the league? If we could commit to getting one or two star ends, our defense would be scary.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The one area on defense where I have concern is Safety. Iloka kind of got exposed in pass coverage without Reggie Nelson's coverage skills and Williams proved to be a run stuffing safety.

But, having a year to gel together, they should be better.

By mid season Williams became a very good safety.. great tackling and graded out well.. so I am very excited about the upside of Williams
Reply/Quote
I just want to add that i remember watching Mixon last year and the announcers saying he runs routes as a receiver and
could play receiver if he was asked to at Okee. Ross is a very good route runner and i truly believe when healthy that Eifert
is the best route running TE in the NFL, even better than Gronk.

Boyd and Lafell are no punks either.

Not even mentioning our Probowl WR.

Zamp has so much to work with, i hope he puts in the proper routes to work to the best of all of these guys abilities.
Reply/Quote
In the past we have focused on powerhouse builds for our teams, trying to match the division 'persona'

I think the focus has shifted to "lets put the best team on the field to win in the playoffs'
Instead of "lets put the best team on the field to win the AFCN"

This is what I'm hoping anyways.

Why build your team around 6 games (2 of which are against the Browns), when the division winner is usually in the wildcard round anyways. Might as well build a team that competes well against the playoff type teams.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 01:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So in the 90's and 2000's the AFC North was smash mouth football. You needed a power team.

The Bengals defense had some speed through the years, but the LB's were generally big and plodding. This was epitomized by Maualuga - who was a big run-thumper. They had a big less-than-mobile guy like Peko clogging the run. They'd have guys like Dansby, etc. In essence, our defense was built to compete in the AFC North of 10 years ago. The disadvantage was our team speed was lower and we couldn't cover TE's.

Traditional Bengals offenses would have 1 fast WR then a slower, bigger possession guy. A TE who could catch the ball. Then blocking TE's who they'd sub in on running plays. The RB's were generally power guys...with some being fast. Usually these guys would catch 20-30 balls a year.

Well the division changed. The Steelers pass the ball a lot and have a dynamic running back. The league is like this.

We now have more agile LB's that should cover passes better. The defense should get better pass rush. There is just a lot more speed.

On offense, Mixon should add more speed. Ross obviously will. Guys like Hill just didn't have the speed needed to go against fast defense.

In summary, we're more built to compete in the modern, speed-driven NFL.

Will it pay off in playoff success? I don't know. The coaches mindsets will have to change to utilize the speed. The players will have to make plays. The offensive line will need to hold up.

What I do know is that we are built more like the teams that have success.

Good post, I do love the added speed. But let's not forget watching the Steelers run for 75 yards against us in the 4th quarter 10 years ago. There is nothing more frustrating than watching the clock run  as teams like the Steeler's ram the ball down our throats when we knew they were going to run the ball, but too weak on DL ad LB to stop it
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 08:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: In the past we have focused on powerhouse builds for our teams, trying to match the division 'persona'

I think the focus has shifted to "lets put the best team on the field to win in the playoffs'
Instead of "lets put the best team on the field to win the AFCN"

This is what I'm hoping anyways.

Why build your team around 6 games (2 of which are against the Browns), when the division winner is usually in the wildcard round anyways. Might as well build a team that competes well against the playoff type teams.

This is the best team i have ever seen on paper.

One game at a time but in the end we have to win the Division to surely be in the Playoffs, then we can face that team
we all know is the one to beat. With this speed and physicality that we added it is possible, but of course our HC always
makes me wonder especially against great coaching.

(07-25-2017, 09:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good post, I do love the added speed. But let's not forget watching the Steelers run for 75 yards against us in the 4th quarter 10 years ago. There is nothing more frustrating than watching the clock run  as teams like the Steeler's ram the ball down our throats when we knew they were going to run the ball, but too weak on DL ad LB to stop it

Billings dude, i don't see teams running on this guy. He will be better than Peko, quote me on that.
Reply/Quote
we will lose twice to the Steelers until there is a change of head coach.

we also won't win a playoff game assuming we get there.

If we get there we will lose to the Steelers or Houston in first round.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is nice when your receivers get some seperation. I truly believe that was one of our biggest problems last year besides RT.

This.  They go hand in hand...of the QB has to hold on to the ball longer, while awaiting separation, the offensive line is asked to hold their blocks longer and creates problems.  Conversely, if the QB gets the ball out quick, the line looks like heroes.
Reply/Quote