Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little Perspective
I was surfing the internet awhile ago and came across an article (a few years old) talking about the Cleveland Browns and all the QB's they've been through since Couch and the 99 comeback. I usually don't pay much attention to this kinda stuff but it got me to thinking about our QB's in that same time frame. And our record vs. theirs in that time frame.

Since 1999 the Browns have a grand total of two winning seasons 2002 9-7, 2007 10-6 and their only playoff appearance was 2002, they lost in 1st round. Ironically their only 10+ win season they didn't make playoffs !

They have a grand total of five seasons where they've posted 6 or more wins. Their overall record in this time frame is 88-216 ! In these 20 seasons 99-17 they've finished with 4 wins or less 10 times including 1-15 and 0-16 the last two seasons.

Here's a partial list of their QB's: draft picks first then all the free agents, trades, and pick up's.

1999 Tim Couch Rd.1 #1
2004 Luke McCown Rd. 4 #106
2005 Charlie Frye Rd.3 #67
2007 Brady Quinn Rd.1 #22
2010 Colt McCoy Rd.3 #85
2012 Brandon Weeden Rd.1 #22
2014 Johnny Manziel Rd.1 #22
2017 Deshone Kizer Rd.2 #52
2018 Baker Mayfield Rd.1 #1

And some of the rest roughly in order:

Jeff Garcia, Trent Dilfer, Derek Anderson, Ken Dorsey, Bruce Gradkowski, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Thadeus Lewis, Jason Campbell, Austin Davis, Tyler Thigpen, Brian Hoyer, Cody Kessler, RG III, Josh McGown, Drew Stanton, Tyrod Taylor.

This is by no means an all inclusive list there's probably a dozen more..just some of the recognizable names. Point is that's 25 QB's right there ! And in that same time frame we've had Jeff Blake, Akili Smith, John Kitna, Carson Palmer, and Andy Dalton take the bulk of our snaps.

I know this franchise has been a total train wreck during this period but still it gives you some perspective on how hard it is to find an NFL (franchise) QB

Perhaps we haven't done so bad after all ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely and Who-Dey !

But thought Brady Quinn was going to be a good one for Browns.

Really felt sorry for him in that outmatched OSU game, yet still thought he would be a solid NFL QB.

Boy was I wrong.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 01:12 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely and Who-Dey !

But thought Brady Quinn was going to be a good one for Browns.

Really felt sorry for him in that outmatched OSU game, yet still thought he would be a solid NFL QB.

Boy was I wrong.

So did I

There's probably half a dozen they've had I thought were gonna be at least decent and by and large they've all been busts ! To be fair the Browns have had way more problems than just QB, the list of them would fill volumes. But still for the most part all these QB's just haven't got it done.

Will Mayfield join them ?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 01:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So did I

There's probably half a dozen they've had I thought were gonna be at least decent and by and large they've all been busts ! To be fair the Browns have had way more problems than just QB, the list of them would fill volumes. But still for the most part all these QB's just haven't got it done.

Will Mayfield join them ?

You are correct Sir.

Not positive on Mayfield just yet and as I have said before, believe he will be a star or a bust. 

Not sure which just yet. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Why compare a team to the irrelevant browns? You could just as easily compare a team to the Pats. Or league average. 
Reply/Quote
I just have a feeling Mayfield may turn out to be another bust for them. I might be proven wrong, but that's my gut feeling. But when you look at that list you ALMOST have to feel sorry for the Stains fans. Almost.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:34 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I just have a feeling Mayfield may turn out to be another bust for them. I might be proven wrong, but that's my gut feeling. But when you look at that list you ALMOST have to feel sorry for the Stains fans. Almost.

Never.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Never.

Yeah, you're right.  Screw them Stains!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:23 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Why compare a team to the irrelevant browns? You could just as easily compare a team to the Pats. Or league average. 

It's not really just about comparing us to the Browns. It's just the sheer number of QB's the Browns have been thru with very, very little success.

Sure there's examples in the opposite direction.

But one would think with all the tries they would have had at least one do some winning ?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:34 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I just have a feeling Mayfield may turn out to be another bust for them.  I might be proven wrong, but that's my gut feeling.  But when you look at that list you ALMOST have to feel sorry for the Stains fans.  Almost.

That's my feeling as well. Mayfield is a high intensity, high strung fellow, kinda Phillip Rivers like. But Mayfield is also very much a jerk ! And the type of personality that could rub his team the wrong way fast. I'd guess he'll either grow up and learn to channel that energry in a good way and be a really good QB.

Or flame out really fast ! If I had to bet I'd bet on the latter.
Reply/Quote
While comparing the Bengals to the Browns does demonstrate a small degree of success, in order to get a more accurate picture, we must look at ourselves compared to the entire division. I'd say over that 20 year span, we have a firm lock on 3rd place. We need to do better, set the sights on Super Bowl Championships, rather than just being better than our closest neighbor.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
browns should have taken Darnold, a prototypical NFL quarterback..given him a chance to grow and succeed

there juts is too fine a line for mayfield..could be great or juts as easily a bust
Reply/Quote
When a team goes through that many QBs yiou have to look at the coaches instead of the QBs.

It's like a guy who has been married several times. at some point you have to blame the guy instead of all the different wives.

I believe that Couch would have been a very good NFL QB if he had remained healthy.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 12:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ironically their only 10+ win season they didn't make playoffs !

Because the 5-9 Bengals beat the 9-5 Browns in my first game ever at PBS. (Sat two rows from the field with Joe from Flo.)

You know how Shawn Williams became a fan favorite mainly for one big interception that helped beat the Steelers? Chinedum Ndukwe basically earned 2 years as a starter because he had 2 interceptions in that Browns game.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 12:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps we haven't done so bad after all ?

It depends on how you look at it.  I think Marvin Lewis has been pretty fortunate to have good-though-not-elite and fairly reliable QBs in Palmer and Dalton for his entire HC career.  Are there other franchises that have had as much QB stability as we have and still failed to win a playoff game?  I think the Lions with Stafford who is going into his 10th season, I think, could also qualify for that.  Anyways, I see a good side and a meh side in this, that's for sure.

(06-29-2018, 08:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: But one would think with all the tries they would have had at least one do some winning ?

You'd think with the relative stability we've had at QB for 15 years we'd have done some (more) winning, too.  If you don't have a QB you have to throw every single resource down the well until you find one.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 08:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While comparing the Bengals to the Browns does demonstrate a small degree of success, in order to get a more accurate picture, we must look at ourselves compared to the entire division. I'd say over that 20 year span, we have a firm lock on 3rd place. We need to do better, set the sights on Super Bowl Championships, rather than just being better than our closest neighbor.

Our closest neighbors are the Colts... They're better than us over that span too. Let's just stick to comparing ourselves to the Browns, and discussing what a douchebag Baker Mayfield is; shall we?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 11:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: You'd think with the relative stability we've had at QB for 15 years we'd have done some (more) winning, too.  If you don't have a QB you have to throw every single resource down the well until you find one.

very true
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 07:31 PM)jason Wrote: Our closest neighbors are the Colts... They're better than us over that span too. Let's just stick to comparing ourselves to the Browns, and discussing what a douchebag Baker Mayfield is; shall we?

Look here, sonny.  Don't make me pull this car over..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 09:13 AM)cooper Wrote: browns should have taken Darnold, a prototypical NFL quarterback..given him a chance to grow and succeed

there juts is too fine a line for mayfield..could be great or juts as easily a bust

i think when history looks back on this yrs QB list the STAR will be Jackson....
I think the Browns blew it again.....another swing & miss....
the Ravens got a huge steal, imo….
Flacco is old & tired...wait till he throws a INT & the BOO birds come out.....
it will get ugly....
by game 10 Jackson should be starting....?
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 07:31 PM)jason Wrote: Our closest neighbors are the Colts... They're better than us over that span too. Let's just stick to comparing ourselves to the Browns, and discussing what a douchebag Baker Mayfield is; shall we?

I think he meant our closest neighbor in our AFC NORTYH DIV....

& I don't think Mayfield is a douchbag….
no reason to insult him.....
he's not a steeler….
Reply/Quote