Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New guys have Gold Star
(03-25-2022, 12:50 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: A lot of you are noobs and it shows.  Camp Washington Chili, Price Hill Chili, and Blue Ash Chili are light years ahead of Gold Star and Skyline.  I’d argue the 6 way from Blue Ash with the fried bottle caps is the superior version of Cincy style chili.  Ain’t nothing else like it…

best thing at Blue Ash Chili isnt the chili its the BLT&E
Reply/Quote
The only time I eat Goldstar or Skyline is when I need a fast acting laxative.

As far as chili goes, I've always made my own. I don't consider what those places call chili to actually be chili at all. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The only time I eat Goldstar or Skyline is when I need a fast acting laxative.

As far as chili goes, I've always made my own. I don't consider what those places call chili to actually be chili at all. 

Whoa whoa. I feel like Bengalholic, the master of all-things The Bengals Board, should not have a dismissive attitude about Gold Star or Skyline. This scars my soul.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The only time I eat Goldstar or Skyline is when I need a fast acting laxative.

Chili isnt a set defined dish like Salads... there are many types.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 03:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Chili isnt a set defined dish like Salads... there are many types.

Exactly. In my family a chili "3 way" was with cheese, gopher chitlins, and capers. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 02:55 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Whoa whoa. I feel like Bengalholic, the master of all-things The Bengals Board, should not have a dismissive attitude about Gold Star or Skyline. This scars my soul.

I think they scarred my colon.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 12:50 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: A lot of you are noobs and it shows.  Camp Washington Chili, Price Hill Chili, and Blue Ash Chili are light years ahead of Gold Star and Skyline.  I’d argue the 6 way from Blue Ash with the fried bottle caps is the superior version of Cincy style chili.  Ain’t nothing else like it…

I've never had Camp Washington, but Price Hill is nearly inedible after a couple of bites, and Blue Ash is a big blah as far as chili goes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 03:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've never had Camp Washington, but Price Hill is nearly inedible after a couple of bites, and Blue Ash is a big blah as far as chili goes.

Have to disagree on Price Hill Chili. It’s a westside mainstay for a reason. I’ve ate there a million times and never had bad food. Pretty much everything on the menu (chill, double deckers, breakfast, etc) is good.

Reply/Quote

It isn't; it's Mediterranean meat stew. I PROMISE you nobody in Greece calls it Chili.

It's just named that, as it has become a colloquialism of sorts; "Cincinnati Chili," is an institution, like Soba in Okinawa. It's CALLED Soba, but it's really the Okinawan version of ramen and nothing else.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It isn't; it's Mediterranean meat stew. I PROMISE you nobody in Greece calls it Chili.

It's just named that, as it has become a colloquialism of sorts; "Cincinnati Chili," is an institution, like Soba in Okinawa. It's CALLED Soba, but it's really the Okinawan version of ramen and nothing else.

I've always just called it funky hot dog sauce.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:23 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I believe Cincinnati folks need to bury the Skyline/Goldstar war. It's already hard enough to get people to take the concept of Cincinnati chili seriously when we're not fighting over minutia between brands. Join forces and represent.

I'm going to chime in here with another perspective... that of a "displaced" Cincinnatian.
I was born in Cincinnati, but have lived most of my life in PA.  I LOVE Cincinnati chili, but it's not something I can just drive to the nearest store/restaurant and get whenever I want.  Allow me to let you in on a little secret... given the option - I WOULDN'T TURN MY NOSE UP AT EITHER ONE!   Tongue

IS IT CINCINNATI CHILI?  YES?  THEN GIVE ME SOME!  I don't care if it's Skyline or Gold Star!
Reply/Quote

I couldn't agree more!! This stuff is like watered down meat with pumpkin spice in it. It may be worse than this crap in Toledo they call chili from Tony Packo's. It is just meat with a crap ton of paparika. Give me normal ol chili or hotdog sauce. Now get off my lawn you young whipper snappers.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've always just called it funky hot dog sauce.  Smirk

Who watches the watchers?  This is a banable offense, but.....
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 12:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So did either one of them say, "This isn't chili.  This is 'chili sauce'."

BTW I have eaten more chili than any other food except hamburgers.  I make huge pots and eat it almost every day until it is gone.  Not every week but pretty often.

That's what I do. I make my own in crock pot and eat it for two or three days until it's history.

Anyone like dipping a Peanut butter sandwich in chili?   Sounds disgusting but it's SO good!!!
Reply/Quote
That doesn't look like glass. I was told they wanted glass eaters.
Reply/Quote