Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little guitar playing
Thought y'all might enjoy:

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 09:34 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Thought y'all might enjoy:

What a showoff.  Yeah, very impressive.  He is definitely an all time great.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I picked up a guitar a couple of months ago and have been logging some time every day learning on youtube. I can tell you I always appreciated musicians at any level.

When you pick up an instrument and start learning though, you really get a whole new perspective on how challenging it is. It's not just the natural talent a lot of people posses, its the dedication to the art.

I will eventually have to take lessons though. I know that.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 10:54 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: I picked up a guitar a couple of months ago and have been logging some time every day learning on youtube. I can tell you I always appreciated musicians at any level.

When you pick up an instrument and start learning though, you really get a whole new perspective on how challenging it is. It's not just the natural talent a lot of people posses, its the dedication to the art.

I will eventually have to take lessons though. I know that.

Another thing that helped me was playing with other people. Guys that were just better than me on a guitar. I'm basically self taught from books, magazines, trial and error, and listening. I've picked up a lot of tricks by playing with people with more talent or knowledge than I have though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 05:33 PM)jason Wrote: Another thing that helped me was playing with other people. Guys that were just better than me on a guitar. I'm basically self taught from books, magazines, trial and error, and listening. I've picked up a lot of tricks by playing with people with more talent or knowledge than I have though.

This is exactly how I learned and progressed. I wish I had the internet/Youtube back when I started though. It would have improved my playing much more rapidly.

I also want to add that your playing will improve if you dedicate actual amounts of time to it. Also you'll play more naturally by watching TV while playing. It develops muscle memory without straining your mind on concentration.

One of the best compliments I've ever had is that when I play it "looks so effortless".

I contribute that to the whole fact that flow and muscle memory are important.  Not just playing the notes and losing the enjoyment of performance because of being tense or over concentrating.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You thought wrong, didn't ya?

Actually, I didn't listen to it. If you aren't SRV or as good as, I mean, why even bother?

I have standards.
Reply/Quote
Fellow musician checking in. As if the avatar wasn't obvious enough. I hold down the low end. Also play drums, guitar, piano and banjo.

To Bengal fan in Toronto: Everyone learns differently. So don't feel you HAVE to go out and get an instructor unless that is something you see as beneficial to you. I'm entirely self taught, and today with the litany of material available via the internet, self teaching books, apps like Yousician, etc it's never been easier.. Not trying to steer you away from teachers, a great teacher is worth every penny. But what I am saying is don't feel like you can't or aren't progressing because you dont have someone telling you what/how to play. If you want to learn to read music, get off your butt, get a book, and start teaching yourself.

If you have the initiative and drive, you can learn whatever you choose. The big thing is to practice practice practice practice practice....no matter what you choose to do.
[Image: 6zwk79.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 06:45 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is exactly how I learned and progressed. I wish I had the internet/Youtube back when I started though. It would have improved my playing much more rapidly.

I also want to add that your playing will improve if you dedicate actual amounts of time to it. Also you'll play more naturally by watching TV while playing. It develops muscle memory without straining your mind on concentration.

One of the best compliments I've ever had is that when I play it "looks so effortless".

I contribute that to the whole fact that flow and muscle memory are important.  Not just playing the notes and losing the enjoyment of performance because of being tense or over concentrating.

When I was 18-19 years old I met the best guitarist I've known personally. Just that natural type. He'd went to the Berkeley school of music. He was sick. I could basically strum chords, and read tabs. He would let me play with him, all the while telling me that I was pretty good. He, another novice, and myself would get together over the next few years, and jam AC/DC songs on 2 guitars, a drum kit, and a mic. My playing just gradually improved. I don't think I would've gotten as far by myself.

Sadly now, I have a young child, and don't play as much as I'd like... It comes back pretty quickly though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: When I was 18-19 years old I met the best guitarist I've known personally. Just that natural type. He'd went to the Berkeley school of music. He was sick. I could basically strum chords, and read tabs. He would let me play with him, all the while telling me that I was pretty good. He, another novice, and myself would get together over the next few years, and jam AC/DC songs on 2 guitars, a drum kit, and a mic. My playing just gradually improved. I don't think I would've gotten as far by myself.

Sadly now, I have a young child, and don't play as much as I'd like... It comes back pretty quickly though.

No one else in my family has "musical talent" but yet they all seem to have an ear for music.

Perhaps this helps in some way.  I do find that practicing and at least being obsessed by the instrument is what lead me to excel at it.

Early on I was distracted and wasn't dedicated to it. 

Then I moved to another state(Washington)where I didn't know anyone and it became my outside activity of choice when I was in Art school.

Oddly enough I seemed to trade off my love of drawing/creating for playing guitar/writing music in the process.

I had more instruction in art than music which was virtually none. LOL

Upon meeting other musicians I was like a sponge gathering up tricks, tips, and knowledge.

I guess one of the things that makes me humble to this day as a musician...  is my philosophy that you can learn things from others no matter what their level of ability.

Musicians all have different approaches.  Sometimes you'll see something that goes against what you've known.

In other words.  I'm a constant student.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 09:34 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Thought y'all might enjoy:

I posted this on Facebook a while back.

Roy was awesome at several instruments!!
Reply/Quote