Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little hope going into Monday
Definitely not an impossible scenario. We control our own destiny.

RAVNES VS TEXANS: BAL
RAVENS VS LIONS: DET
RAVENS @ STEELERS: PIT
RAVENS @ BROWNS: CLE
RAVENS VS COLTS: BAL
RAVENS VS BENGALS: CIN

FINISH 7-9

TITANS @ COLTS: TEN
TITANS VS TEXNAS: TEN
TITANS @ CARDINALS: TEN
TITANS @ 49ERS: TEN
TITANS VS RAMS: LAR
TITANS VS JAGUARS: JAX

FINISH 10-6

BILLS @ CHIEFS: KC
BILLS VS PATRIOTS: NE
BILLS VS COLTS: BUF
BILLS VS DOLPHINS: BUF
BILLS @ PATRIOTS: NE
BILLS @ DOLPHINS: MIA

FINISH 6-10

DOLPHINS @ PATRIOTS: NE
DOLPHINS VS BRONCOS: MIA
DOLPHINS VS PATRIOTS: NE
DOLPHINS @ BILLS: BUF
DOLPHINS @ CHIEFS: KC
DOLPHINS VS BILLS: MIA

FINISH 6-10

JETS VS PANTHERS: CAR
JETS VS CHIEFS: KC
JETS @ BRONCOS: NYJ
JETS @ SAINTS: NO
JETS VS CHARGERS: LAC
JETS @ PATRIOTS: NE

FINISH 5-11

CHARGERS @ COWBOYS: DAL
CHARGERS VS BROWNS: LAC
CHARGERS VS REDSKINS: WAS
CHARGERS @ CHIEFS: KC
CHARGERS @ JETS: LAC
CHARGERS VS RAIDERS: LAC

FINSIH 7-9

RAIDERS VS BRONCOS: OAK
RAIDERS VS GIANTS: OAK
RAIDERS @ CHIEFS: KC
RAIDERS VS COWBOYS: DAL
RAIDERS @ EAGLES: PHI
RAIDERS @ CHARGERS: LAC

FINISH 6-10

BENGALS VS BROWNS: W
BENGALS VS STEELERS: L
BENGALS VS BEARS: W
BENGALS @ VIKINGS: L
BENGALS VS LIONS: W
BENGALS @ RAVENS: W

FINISH 8-8

AFC PLAYOFF STANDINGS

1ST SEED: PATRIOTS
2ND SEED: STEELERS
3RD SEED: JAGUARS
4TH SEED: CHIEFS
5TH SEED: TITANS
6TH SEED: BENGALS

AFC WILD CARD WEEKEND

BENGALS @ JAGUARS: (If it landed this way.. AJ v Jalen, R2, FIGHT!)
TITANS @ CHIEFS:

AFC DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS:

??????? @ PATRIOTS:
??????? @ STEELERS:
Reply/Quote
While I appreciate all the work you did on that, I think it is much more realistic to say "well, they have a good chance to beat the Browns". This is really applicable, albeit on different levels, to any Marvin Lewis coached team. The best rosters the Bengals have had beat solid teams by not beating themselves. This team doesn't have the talent to sit back and hope the opposition makes dumb passes (like Denver) or misses tackles (like Cleveland) and they eek out a win.

In other words, and I apologize because we have all heard this before, playing not to lose usually leads to a loss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I appreciate all the work you did on that, I think it is much more realistic to say "well, they have a good chance to beat the Browns". This is really applicable, albeit on different levels, to any Marvin Lewis coached team. The best rosters the Bengals have had beat solid teams by not beating themselves. This team doesn't have the talent to sit back and hope the opposition makes dumb passes (like Denver) or misses tackles (like Cleveland) and they eek out a win.

In other words, and I apologize because we have all heard this before, playing not to lose usually leads to a loss.

Agree with everything here; if we finish the season making the 6th seed, we probably keep Marvin another year... There's a bright and dark side to this outcome. I want to see us win, but I don't want MB to have any wiggle room to bring Marvin back. I could see us slipping in some how some way which would probably be the opposite of a blessing in disguise. We would keep Marvin another year, lose round 1 of the playoffs and have a 8-8 pick in the draft... I don't honestly believe the Bengals will go to the playoffs nor do they deserve it, but Marvin is going to push for the best record possible to save his job. Wouldn't be surprised either way.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I appreciate all the work you did on that, I think it is much more realistic to say "well, they have a good chance to beat the Browns".  This is really applicable, albeit on different levels, to any Marvin Lewis coached team.  The best rosters the Bengals have had beat solid teams by not beating themselves.  This team doesn't have the talent to sit back and hope the opposition makes dumb passes (like Denver) or misses tackles (like Cleveland) and they eek out a win.

Season has been tough on ya huh, Racer? You use to be the eternal optimist around these parts.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:56 AM)Takedown Wrote: Agree with everything here; if we finish the season making the 6th seed, we probably keep Marvin another year... There's a bright and dark side to this outcome. I want to see us win, but I don't want MB to have any wiggle room to bring Marvin back. I could see us slipping in some how some way which would probably be the opposite of a blessing in disguise. We would keep Marvin another year, lose round 1 of the playoffs and have a 8-8 pick in the draft... I don't honestly believe the Bengals will go to the playoffs nor do they deserve it, but Marvin is going to push for the best record possible to save his job. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

He would only be offered a return if they went on a run in the postseason, and that isn't happening.  This team is still a bottom feeder with the pathetic coaching schematics they use.  
Reply/Quote
I guarantee the Bengals don't beat the Ravens, Bears, and Lions. They aren't going to the playoffs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Well... before the Denver game the last time we won outside of Ohio was week 1 in 2016. I don't see us going to the playoffs. Our offensive line would have to start opening up holes for our run game, and get better at pass protection. I think the defense is playing well (considering that their on the field waaay too much). Everyone seen that the OL was going to be garbage before the season, and that's whats going to be our downfall.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:58 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Season has been tough on ya huh, Racer? You use to be the eternal optimist around these parts.

Marv has lost me this year.  Punting when down, but not out in the first game of the season.  Playing duds over young guys because, well, they are young.  Even the defense looks disinterested now because they know most games they have no shot.  The way he has treated Ross after one mistake, when the rest of his team makes mistake after mistake with no fear of being replaced (See Bodine, Hopkins, etc).  

It runs so contrary to my beliefs in terms of when effort doesn't match talent.  As a coach, I am known for taking kids that no one saw as the next great athlete and turning them in to Division I scholarships.  Effort, technique, dedication, etc.  I show belief in kids that maybe lack a little confidence in themselves and I see them blossom.  I know it is at a very different level, but in many sports coaching over many decades, I understand human nature and how to get the most out of a person.  

It seems like Marv is actually intentionally trying to keep some people down, and it makes me want to throat punch his dumb ass.  

A stupid analogy I make is that any teacher can get an A student, and they will keep getting As, but how do you do with your B, C, and even D students?  It is their fault they aren't motivated?  That they don't know how to get better?  Maybe no one has ever taken the time to show them the right way?  Maybe no one has ever shown belief in them?

I don't care if they are 8, 18, or 28 years old.  The best coaches can always get the most out of players.  Marv is light years away from being that kind of coach, so the team I love with my very soul plays with zero effort.  And it kills me to watch.

Don't believe me about effort because they beat a horrible Denver team?  Denver has a very good defense.  The Bengals were backed up to their one yard line.  Denver had what was essentially a ten man front.  The Bengals plowed them backward and Mixon fought for four yards.  That is effort.  That shows you they are capable, but they aren't putting that effort in every snap.  Do they not like Mixon?  Well, they block even worse for Bernard.  They are capable.  Yep, our line is capable, but their scheme is a joke, they are predictable as hell, and they have no motivation.  Coaching, coaching, coaching.

It won't suddenly "flip the switch" and look like a real NFL team.  Not with the current coaching staff.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I guarantee the Bengals don't beat the Ravens, Bears, and Lions.  They aren't going to the playoffs.

The Bengals could easily beat any of those 3 teams. The Bears and Lions aren't that good, and we play them at home. The Ravens have a pathetic offense, and we normally have their number. It's more likely that we drop one of those games, but they're all easily winnable.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:16 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Bengals could easily beat any of those 3 teams. The Bears and Lions aren't that good, and we play them at home. The Ravens have a pathetic offense, and we normally have their number. It's more likely that we drop one of those games, but they're all easily winnable.

I meant all of them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
While we could win any game on that list except with the Steelers and Vikings...we could also possibly lose to any team on that list.

We beat a Denver Team that lost 6 games in a row.
Reply/Quote
It's like beating a dead horse about the O-Line.

Though I wonder if an immediate hire at that position coach and dismissal of Alexander could impact them enough.

Piano Man is dead to me.

Unfortunately I'm not Mike Brown. LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He would only be offered a return if they went on a run in the postseason, and that isn't happening.  This team is still a bottom feeder with the pathetic coaching schematics they use.  

That's where I disagree. Mike Brown would most likely offer him a contract extension if we just made the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While we could win any game on that list except with the Steelers and Vikings...we could also possibly lose to any team on that list.

They had only lost five in a row until the Bengals rolled into town and stomped those bastards.   Wink

Reply/Quote
This offense will never win a game against a team with a competent QB leading it.

We won yesterday because our defense was able to abuse a terrible QB who held the ball too long and couldn't reliably hit his targets when pressured.

We may win a few more games this year but, unless our Offensive Line magically starts run blocking and pass blocking, we will end at 8-8, miss the playoffs and get a worse draft pick for our trouble.

I'd rather we lose out and get a top 10 pick to fix this travesty of an offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While we could win any game on that list except with the Steelers and Vikings...we could also possibly lose to any team on that list.

We could beat the Steelers and the Vikings. It's not likely, but we COULD do it. I mean shit, the Giants beat the Chiefs yesterday. Crazy things like that happen all of the time.
Reply/Quote
It's not crazy to think we go 8-8, but I'd prefer to not go 8-8 and risk another Lewis extension.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:13 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This offense will never win a game against a team with a competent QB leading it.

We won yesterday because our defense was able to abuse a terrible  QB who held the ball too long and couldn't reliably hit his targets when pressured.

We may win a few more games this year but, unless our Offensive Line magically starts run blocking and pass blocking, we will end at 8-8, miss the playoffs and get a worse draft pick for our trouble.

I'd rather we lose out and get a top 10 pick to fix this travesty of an offensive line.

Well that worked out really well for us last draft  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's not crazy to think we go 8-8, but I'd prefer to not go 8-8 and risk another Lewis extension.

Lewis is done after this year. He doesn't want another extension, and it shows. I think he's going to retire from coaching this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lewis is done after this year. He doesn't want another extension, and it shows. I think he's going to retire from coaching this year.

It would be the most Bengal thing in the world to get on a hot streak and feel like the team "turned a corner" heading into next year and they want one more run lol.
Reply/Quote