Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little hope going into Monday
Look, this isn’t a pretty good team that had a few bad calls or crazy plays go against them. The 2017 Bengals are a BAD team with deep rooted, systemic problems. We aren’t going to sniff the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice work and effort on the analysis, but not going to happen. Losing at home to Houston and Baltimore early to start the season set this team's margin of error to zero. They are not mentally capable or well enough coached to put together the 6-0 or 5-1 finish that would be required to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lewis is done after this year. He doesn't want another extension, and it shows. I think he's going to retire from coaching this year.

I can't have much faith in that anymore.  Marvin Lewis looked miserable during the 2010 season, won a piddly 4 games, demanded major changes be made or he would refuse to stay for 2011, and then once major changes weren't made he stuck around for another 7+ seasons.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/559644-marvin-lewis-will-not-return-to-coach-bengals-unless-major-changes-are-made

Just to really twist the knife, that article ends by mentioning that Mike Zimmer could be a potential HC replacement for the Bengals from 2011 onward if they don't meet Marvin's demands.  Ha.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I guarantee the Bengals don't beat the Ravens, Bears, and Lions. They aren't going to the playoffs.

Honestly think that we can beat all three of those teams none of those teams are very good.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
No No No No No No No..... Just NO!!!!! No more wins. No faint hint of an excuse to bring Marvin Lewis back just one more time. Throw this season in the shitter, and let's get a higher draft pick and a new coaching staff and make a run next year. A new coach and a couple of offensive line upgrades and this team is ready to roll. Marvin will roll us nowhere.....
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 12:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No No No No No No No..... Just NO!!!!! No more wins. No faint hint of an excuse to bring Marvin Lewis back just one more time. Throw this season in the shitter, and let's get a higher draft pick and a new coaching staff and make a run next year. A new coach and a couple of offensive line upgrades and this team is ready to roll. Marvin will roll us nowhere.....

LOL! I don't think anyone here would disagree with you. Unfortunately, it's not up to us whether we tank the season, make the playoffs or fire/extend Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:42 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Nice work and effort on the analysis, but not going to happen. Losing at home to Houston and Baltimore early to start the season set this team's margin of error to zero. They are not mentally capable or well enough coached to put together the 6-0 or 5-1 finish that would be required to make the playoffs.

A win at Denver and a win against Cleveland may add a little fuel to their mental state. Ya never know. I don't think going 8-8 is hard to do for the Bengals. In fact, it's just like the Bengals...
Reply/Quote
I don't want Marvin to retire. I want him fired!! If he retires, then my fear is we keep most of the position coaches, include PA. Maybe firing him, will get rid of the position coaches. I can already hear the interview and MB telling candidates, "we have an excellent staff already and all you have to is clap and do what I say"....
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:55 AM)Takedown Wrote: That's where I disagree. Mike Brown would most likely offer him a contract extension if we just made the playoffs.

Wanna bet?
Reply/Quote
Why I hate playoff scenarios, it creates false hope. No NFL game is a certainty, and I don't think we are a guarantee to beat the Browns, no matter how TERRIBLE they are. So many things can happen, and I understand the fun that comes in creating different situations.

Hoping Marvin is SMART and AWARE enough to say, go out, win and worry about the rest later.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wanna bet?

Based off the last 15 years of Marvin being here without one playoff win, I would assume my chances of being right are at least decent... Then again, I would love to be proven wrong Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 01:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't want Marvin to retire. I want him fired!! If he retires, then my fear is we keep most of the position coaches, include PA. Maybe firing him, will get rid of the position coaches.  I can already hear the interview and MB telling candidates, "we have an excellent staff already and all you have to is clap and do what I say"....

You want us to fire Lewis mid to late season risking PG or someone else on this staff (who is not 'yet' qualified to be a HC) being stuck our HC for the next year or so? If we're going off your logic here (all due respect), we're screwed either way...

Its probably best at this point to let Marvin finish the season and he can retire or he can walk. There will be more options during the off-season (season is basically lost anyway, no one on this staff is going to get us anywhere). It will be up to Mike Brown whether or not we keep the rest of our staff, not Marvin or the new HC unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 04:59 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Why I hate playoff scenarios, it creates false hope. No NFL game is a certainty, and I don't think we are a guarantee to beat the Browns, no matter how TERRIBLE they are. So many things can happen, and I understand the fun that comes in creating different situations.

Hoping Marvin is SMART and AWARE enough to say, go out, win and worry about the rest later.

I agree 100%, I wasn't trying to create false hope lol; I'm a realist. And yes, the Browns game has trap written all over it.

I honestly believe the Bengals COULD still make the playoffs with the remaining schedule that they have. If they don't, it just moves us closer to saying "bon voyage!" to Marvin forever.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:39 AM)Takedown Wrote: I agree 100%, I wasn't trying to create false hope lol; I'm a realist. And yes, the Browns game has trap written all over it.

I honestly believe the Bengals COULD still make the playoffs with the remaining schedule that they have. If they don't, it just moves us closer to saying "bon voyage!" to Marvin forever.

Nah. I knew you weren't! I was just stating my opinion towards it. We are struggling to win games as it is, so hoping for this and that is brutal. It just leads to disappointment, and more threads about how our team sucks.

Fact is, on paper, we have a great team, but none of that is showing up. Consistently this team finds a way to disappoint, even in weird, abstract ways...I've never seen a 103 yard interception return end in a fumble that wasn't a score for a team...(Sure, we ended up scoring but that entire sequence...wow).

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:44 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Nah. I knew you weren't! I was just stating my opinion towards it. We are struggling to win games as it is, so hoping for this and that is brutal. It just leads to disappointment, and more threads about how our team sucks.

Fact is, on paper, we have a great team, but none of that is showing up. Consistently this team finds a way to disappoint, even in weird, abstract ways...I've never seen a 103 yard interception return end in a fumble that wasn't a score for a team...(Sure, we ended up scoring but that entire sequence...wow).

Yeah I suppose that is true.

Pretty sure DreK made history on that being the longest run/return in NFL history without scoring a TD... Bengals would have that stat locked up  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Some things that interest me about this thread are:

The Bills lose out. They might not.

The Chiefs start winning games. They're my second favorite team and seem to be unraveling. They could not score a touchdown versus the Giants ... not good.

But most importantly, everyone assumes the Bengals will beat the Browns and lose to the Vikings. A couple of weeks ago, the Browns looked pretty impressive against the Lions, in Detroit, and if they bring that game to PBS and the Bengals bring their 3 and out and hope the defense can stop them game, then beating the Browns is very much in doubt.

And the Vikings are beatable as just about every team is, even the Patriots and Steelers. Remember, the Bengals coaching staff may benefit from some familiarity with Zimmer, even though that was four years ago.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:08 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Some things that interest me about this thread are:

The Bills lose out. They might not.

The Chiefs start winning games. They're my second favorite team and seem to be unraveling. They could not score a touchdown versus the Giants ... not good.

But most importantly, everyone assumes the Bengals will beat the Browns and lose to the Vikings. A couple of weeks ago, the Browns looked pretty impressive against the Lions, in Detroit, and if they bring that game to PBS and the Bengals bring their 3 and out and hope the defense can stop them game, then beating the Browns is very much in doubt.

And the Vikings are beatable as just about every team is, even the Patriots and Steelers. Remember, the Bengals coaching staff may benefit from some familiarity with Zimmer, even though that was four years ago.
Bills lose out? Doubt that.

Chiefs will win their division and be the 4th seed, that's my prediction. OAK, DEN and LAC don't have enough talent to take control and go on a winning streak. Maybe the Chargers... That's a big maybe. They still have to go to KC and win if they want a shot.

Its definitely a trap game, but its also a very winnable game, no excuse as to why we would lose. Our o-line sucking might come into play lol.

Technically yes, every team in the NFL is beatable. Zim will have a better advantage knowing us more than us knowing him come that time. Marvin isn't exactly the best at making half time adjustments when he needs to, Zim has proven to be the real deal with a below average QB starting for him. He brings the best out of his players and he's going to make us beg the refs to stop the game. Not to mention its at Minny. We have a better shot of beating the Steelers than we do the Vikings.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:24 AM)Takedown Wrote: Based off the last 15 years of Marvin being here without one playoff win, I would assume my chances of being right are at least decent... Then again, I would love to be proven wrong Cool

Name it.  I say that Marv is gone.  You say he is staying if he makes the playoffs.  If he doesn't make the playoffs (they won't), then no bet.  If they make the playoffs and lose in Rd 1, I say he is gone and you disagree.

Name the prize.  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Name it.  I say that Marv is gone.  You say he is staying if he makes the playoffs.  If he doesn't make the playoffs (they won't), then no bet.  If they make the playoffs and lose in Rd 1, I say he is gone and you disagree.

Name the prize.  

LOL, I'm game. Avatar/Profile pic of your choice for me and I will use it for 2 months (and vise versa if we go to the playoffs, LOSE and keep Marvin).

Deal or no deal? Counter offer?
Reply/Quote
I think we gain steam after a browns win and put all of our chips on the table against the Steelers. Our playoff hopes could easily be resurrected with a big win there.

Probably be enough to get Marvin an extension too.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote