Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little info about our first preseason game.
The New York Giants were already missing a starting CB (Prince Aukamara) and their starting safeties were a rookie second round pick and Jeremy Miles (yes, that same Jeremy Miles). The rookie starter (Landon Collins) was injured in the first quarter, and 3 other DBS did not finish the game due to injury (Mykkele Thompson, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosly).

The Giants O-line was not good at all last year and they had already lost starting LT Will Beaty to injury. So there starting OTs were a rookie (Ereck Flowers) and Marshall Newhouse (yes, that same Marshall Newhouse). So don't get too e

And, of course, there defense had also lost arguably its best player from last year (Jason Pierre Paul).

So despite all of the hype from the media, the fact is that we played a 6-10 team that has gotten much worse during the offseason. They have some big name stars on offense, but overall they are a pretty weak team.

And finally let me remind everyone that at this time last year many people were calling for a guy to be our #2 QB just because he threw up on the field and made a couple of plays against guys who wouldn't make a final roster. And now we can't even remember his name.

So don't get too excited about Denarius Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a DB unit that was not very strong to begin with. And don't get carried away with what DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, or any other D-lineman who had soem success against the bottom of a weak OL corps.

Obviously it is better for a player to look good in a pre-season game instead of bad. So it is good news that these Bengals did well. I am not turning into a grumpy hater. I am just saying that we need to keep this performance in perspective.
Reply/Quote
Actually, Fred, a wet blanket can feel good on a hot day...briefly.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You have got to get laid more often
Reply/Quote
  Right when I thought the glass was half full! Confused
Reply/Quote
Fred...

STFU
Reply/Quote
Thing is a lot of that is irrelevant. Most of the things you worry about in preseason are things like knowledge of the playbook, placement, handling, consistency and discipline. You can play anyone but if certain fundamentals aren't there you will make mistakes. From all units the fundamentals were pretty solid. The things you want to see done well in preseason were, so whether or not the Giants provided the best possible opposition is irrelevant. People know that you never fully judge the preseason as a litmus for what is to come. However there are certain aspects that can indicate how good a team is and I think the Bengals nailed that.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:46 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Thing is a lot of that is irrelevant. Most of the things you worry about in preseason are things like knowledge of the playbook, placement, handling, consistency and discipline. You can play anyone but if certain fundamentals aren't there you will make mistakes. From all units the fundamentals were pretty solid. The things you want to see done well in preseason were, so whether or not the Giants provided the best possible opposition is irrelevant. People know that you never fully judge the preseason as a litmus for what is to come. However there are certain aspects that can indicate how good a team is and I think the Bengals nailed that.

Thank you my Brother.
Reply/Quote
MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRESEASON GAME

We played well, we didn't get a lot of flags, our young guys got a lot or reps, and we came out relatively injury free.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't get excited about preseason games. The starters are only out for a limited time and it is really just starting up the engine to see if it still runs, not taking it out to the track to run full bore.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The New York Giants were already missing a starting CB (Peince Aukamara) and there starting safeties were a rookie second round pick and Jeremy Miles (yes, that same Jeremy Miles).  The rookie starter (Landon Collins) was injured in the first quarter, and 3 other DBS did not finish the game due to injury (Mykkele Thompson, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosly).  So don't get too excited about Denarious Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a unit that was not very strong to begin with.

The Giants O-line was not good at all last year and they had already lost starting LT Will Beaty to injury.  So there starting OTs were a rookie (Ereck Flowers) and Marshall Newhouse (yes, that same Marshall Newhouse).  So don't get too e

And, of course, there defense had also lost arguably its best player from last year (Jason Pierre Paul).

So despite all of the hype from the media, the fact is that we played a 6-10 team that has gotten much worse during the offseason.  They have some big name stars on offense, but overall they are a pretty weak team.

And finally let me remind everyone that at this time last year many people were calling for a guy to be our #2 QB just because he threw up on the field and made a couple of plays against guys who wouldn't make a final roster.  And now we can't even remember his name.

So don't get too excited about Denarius Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a DB unit that was not very strong to begin with.  And don't get carried away with what DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, or any other D-lineman who had soem success against the bottom of a weak OL corps.

Obviously it is better for a player to look good in a pre-season game instead of bad.  So it is good news that these Bengals did well.  I am not turning into a grumpy hater.  I am just saying that we need to keep this performance in perspective.

How did the Giants get worse?

Cruz should be back and Beckham missed 4 to 6 games.

I understand the secondary had injuries and yes Little and Moore were working with our 3rd string (probably out of the NFL QB with a few other OL and others who may not make this team or any NFL team), but I would not totally discount a great catch as the catch by Little had nothing to do with anyone covering him, it was about making a great adjustment to a poorly thrown ball and keeping 2 feet inbounds from a guy many feel can't catch anything.

I also remind you the Bengals in 2011 were coming off a 4-12 season, had lost their franchise QB, had new OC and were picked to go dead last (32nd) by many experts. My point is the record of a team a year earlier may or may not have any bearing on the talent level a short year later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I take what the starters do with a grain of salt. Whether good or bad. It's just fundamentals and doesn't worry me too much.

You should be happy that Little, Moore, and so on do good against those defensive backs. It shows that what we hear about practice isn't just talk, it shows up in game situations. Nothing to get excited about, but it shows players fighting to stay on the roster.

Sure, it's preseason. But obviously you need these games to see who does well. DiManche was pretty much someone many of us thought had a chance of getting cut. But the more he played in preseason and excelled, he got a chance to stay on the roster. Contributes on special teams, blocked a punt, and even forced a fumble in the Saints game last year.

This is where you see if players learned and can put it to work. So yes, I am glad the Bengals had all around success against the Giants. And I hope these receivers continue to improve and show they can do well against the Bucs, Bears, and Colts.

Were the Giants 6-10? Yes. The Bengals also lost to the Browns, a team that had 1 more win than the Giants. Plus, you're talking about Scott. A guy who played mainly against the 3's and 4's. You seem to forget that Little was a 2nd round pick and showed potential, and Moore has shown how much of a burner he is (something we desperately needed in the wildcard game). It's not like these two are no-name walk ons. These are guys who are trying to move up on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
This also overlooks what we want to see in a preseason game. And seeing both first team units look sharp, playing without mistakes and in sync is encouraging. Also with the major issues we had with injuries seeing players that were hurt last year looking 100% is a big boost.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The New York Giants were already missing a starting CB (Peince Aukamara) and there starting safeties were a rookie second round pick and Jeremy Miles (yes, that same Jeremy Miles).  The rookie starter (Landon Collins) was injured in the first quarter, and 3 other DBS did not finish the game due to injury (Mykkele Thompson, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosly).  So don't get too excited about Denarious Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a unit that was not very strong to begin with.

The Giants O-line was not good at all last year and they had already lost starting LT Will Beaty to injury.  So there starting OTs were a rookie (Ereck Flowers) and Marshall Newhouse (yes, that same Marshall Newhouse).  So don't get too e

So despite all of the hype from the media, the fact is that we played a 6-10 team that has gotten much worse during the offseason.  They have some big name stars on offense, but overall they are a pretty weak team.

And finally let me remind everyone that at this time last year many people were calling for a guy to be our #2 QB just because he threw up on the field and made a couple of plays against guys who wouldn't make a final roster.  And now we can't even remember his name.

So don't get too excited about Denarius Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a DB unit that was not very strong to begin with.  And don't get carried away with what DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, or any other D-lineman who had soem success against the bottom of a weak OL corps.

Obviously it is better for a player to look good in a pre-season game instead of bad.  So it is good news that these Bengals did well.  I am not turning into a grumpy hater.  I am just saying that we need to keep this performance in perspective.

Bad day at the office or did someone steal your favorite Bengals shirt?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 03:03 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I take what the starters do with a grain of salt. Whether good or bad. It's just fundamentals and doesn't worry me too much.

That's what the preseason is for: to get the fundamentals down and make sure you and your team are sharp in doing so against opponents other than their teammates.  

Have you ever seen anyone get worked up about preseason records or scores?  Absolutely not and that's because you're just trying to get back into football with some actual competition that's more than just in practice situations, which is a lot more than even things like 1-on-1, 7-on-7, and even 11-on-11 in practice.

Yes, the seasoned vets need more of that than the rookies and younger guys, but it's still much-needed for vets to get back into live football and get their fundamentals working in real, live football situations against other opponents.  
Reply/Quote
It's just so refreshing to see Fred not claiming every player on the team is better than they get credit for.
Reply/Quote
Preseason game or not....
Quality opponent or not....
The Bengals did what they are supposed to do.....
What's not to like.....
Reply/Quote
That's one thing the old boards had but this one doesn't: the plethora of threads and posts both before and after preseason games of warnings that preseason games mean nothing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The New York Giants were already missing a starting CB (Prince Aukamara) and their starting safeties were a rookie second round pick and Jeremy Miles (yes, that same Jeremy Miles). The rookie starter (Landon Collins) was injured in the first quarter, and 3 other DBS did not finish the game due to injury (Mykkele Thompson, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosly).

The Giants O-line was not good at all last year and they had already lost starting LT Will Beaty to injury. So there starting OTs were a rookie (Ereck Flowers) and Marshall Newhouse (yes, that same Marshall Newhouse). So don't get too e

So despite all of the hype from the media, the fact is that we played a 6-10 team that has gotten much worse during the offseason. They have some big name stars on offense, but overall they are a pretty weak team.

And finally let me remind everyone that at this time last year many people were calling for a guy to be our #2 QB just because he threw up on the field and made a couple of plays against guys who wouldn't make a final roster. And now we can't even remember his name.

So don't get too excited about Denarius Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a DB unit that was not very strong to begin with. And don't get carried away with what DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, or any other D-lineman who had soem success against the bottom of a weak OL corps.

Obviously it is better for a player to look good in a pre-season game instead of bad. So it is good news that these Bengals did well. I am not turning into a grumpy hater. I am just saying that we need to keep this performance in perspective.

why cant you remember matt scotts name? WHY FRED..

the puke puke pass play will live forever in memory.....

Little had a great catch cant take that away from him even if it was against backups.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's just so refreshing to see Fred not claiming every player on the team is better than they get credit for.

ThumbsUp

As much as I wanted to come in and complain about Fred being a Debbie Downer, I'm actually impressed that he made this thread and is looking at things from a different perspective than usual.

My only issue is, I'm partially concerned that there's some other motive behind this. We all know that ol' Freddy loves some of our mediocre or worse starters (Peko), so maybe this thread is a way of writing off any good performances from the second stringers (Sims)?

I'm just trying to think of a reason this thread exists, there has to be something behind this one.
Reply/Quote
Given how bad the Giants were, I'm sure our star center did a good job
Reply/Quote