Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little perspective on Kroft.
This is for all of you that have been fans for at least a decade or so. Remember how we begged an pleaded for a "pass catching" TE? Remember how it dominated the draft and free agent discussions? Remember how thrilled we were to get Ben Utecht? Remember how excited we were when we used the 98th pick of the draft on TE Chase Coffman? Well imagine back then (pre-Gresham) we had used the 85th pick of the draft on a 6'5", 240 TE who could run a 4.67 forty and had caught 43 passes his sophomore year in college?

We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert. Kroft is not some late-round scrub, or just a "blocking" TE. He is a long, athletic TE who could contribute a lot to our offense in 2-TE sets in addition to filling in for Eifert when he is out with injury. I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six differet events.

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

Plus he is supposed to be a good blocker.

Kroft could be very important to us if Eifert continues to struggle with staying healthy.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the heads up Fred. I knew the kid had some potential but I didn't realize how athletic he actually was. I'll keep an eye out this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
CJ had him featured in one of their "crazy predictions", or whatever it was actually called. Anyway, they were suggesting that with Eifert's propensity to be injured, that it wouldn't be entirely crazy to think that Kroft could out produce Eifert this season. They listed much of the same info, as fredtoast did in the OP.

Personally, I was looking forward to seeing Eifert and Kroft on the field together, in 2TE sets, similar to way NE used Gronk and Hernandez a few years back. WTS, I totally believe that Kroft can come in, fill in nicely, with little to no drop off in production from the position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert.

True, but I was under the impression that these two were our only offensively-productive TEs in a decent while and they were drafted in the 1st round for their pass-catching abilities.  I hope the guy is gang-busters, but I think there is a reason a 3rd round Bengals TE with a notedly limited catching radius gets some skepticism in with the optimism.

I also want him to be great because I like Seals & Crofts...so there is that.

(07-17-2016, 01:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CJ had him featured in one of their "crazy predictions", or whatever it was actually called.  Anyway, they were suggesting that with Eifert's propensity to be injured, that it wouldn't be entirely crazy to think that Kroft could out produce Eifert this season.  They listed much of the same info, as fredtoast did in the OP.

Personally, I was looking forward to seeing Eifert and Kroft on the field together, in 2TE sets, similar to way NE used Gronk and Hernandez a few years back.  WTS, I totally believe that Kroft can come in, fill in nicely, with little to no drop off in production from the position.

Oh man, call me a downer but I'm worried if Kroft out-produces Eifert this year it means that Eifert either took a major step back and/or spent much of the year injured.  
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but I was under the impression that these two were our only offensively-productive TEs in a decent while and they were drafted in the 1st round for their pass-catching abilities.  I hope the guy is gang-busters, but I think there is a reason a 3rd round Bengals TE with a notedly limited catching radius gets some skepticism in with the optimism.

I also want him to be great because I like Seals & Crofts...so there is that.

Oh man, call me a downer but I'm worried if Kroft out-produces Eifert this year it means that Eifert either took a major step back and/or spent much of the year injured.  

Well, they have already quietly extended the expected back date for Eifert past week 2 of the regular season.  Kind of puts me in mind of the Marvin Jones injury saga of 2014.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they have already quietly extended the expected back date for Eifert past week 2 of the regular season.  Kind of puts me in mind of the Marvin Jones injury saga of 2014.

Seriously?  When did this happeN!?  Geez...I was keeping a running list of incremental setbacks related to Eifert since the day after the Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is for all of you that have been fans for at least a decade or so.  Remember how we begged an pleaded for a "pass catching" TE?  Remember how it dominated the draft and free agent discussions?  Remember how thrilled we were to get Ben Utecht?  Remember how excited we were when we used the 98th pick of the draft on TE Chase Coffman?  Well imagine back then (pre-Gresham) we had used the 85th pick of the draft on a 6'5", 240 TE who could run a 4.67 forty and had caught 43 passes his sophomore year in college?

We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert.  Kroft is not some late-round scrub, or just a "blocking" TE. He is a long, athletic TE who could contribute a lot to our offense in 2-TE sets in addition to filling in for Eifert when he is out with injury.  I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six differet events.

Kroft could be very important to us if Eifert continues to struggle with staying healthy.

With you 100%...I was surprised at the selection of Uzomah, but now it makes sense.  I am certain that the combination of Kroft and Eifert being on the field together will yield dividends in the running game as well.  TEs are a key piece of the west coast (which I hate calling it that, as it originated on the coast of the Ohio River) offense.  

I like the bigger bodies that can move and take advantages of matchups with LBs.  Staying in to block also helps the running game, and protects Dalton.  

My absolute favorite play in the playbook (and I have NEVER seen it yield less than 10 yards) is the TE screen.  

I hope we see it run with Uzomah as well.  
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they have already quietly extended the expected back date for Eifert past week 2 of the regular season.  Kind of puts me in mind of the Marvin Jones injury saga of 2014.

If we lose Eifert for an extended period of time we will be hurting. I have high hopes for Kroft, but Eiferts shoes are way too big for him to fill. Let's hope that LaFell, Boyd, and Hill will step up.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seriously?  When did this happeN!?  Geez...I was keeping a running list of incremental setbacks related to Eifert since the day after the Pro Bowl.

Here's one

https://playbook.draftkings.com/nfl/afc-team-team-minicamp-notes

Was pretty certain that Cincy Jungle had quietly slid in a quote from someone on the coaching staff, pretty much ruling Eifert out for at least week 2 of the regular season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CJ had him featured in one of their "crazy predictions", or whatever it was actually called.  Anyway, they were suggesting that with Eifert's propensity to be injured, that it wouldn't be entirely crazy to think that Kroft could out produce Eifert this season.  They listed much of the same info, as fredtoast did in the OP.

Personally, I was looking forward to seeing Eifert and Kroft on the field together, in 2TE sets, similar to way NE used Gronk and Hernandez a few years back.  WTS, I totally believe that Kroft can come in, fill in nicely, with little to no drop off in production from the position.

Hopefully come playoff time both are healthy and have built confidence plus chemistry with Dalton enough to be so lethal Trump will threaten to build a wall around them. 

Bottom line is that somebody or somebodies are going to have to step up this season receiving the ball if it is to be a success. 

Very excited about the possibilities yet more concerned than i have been about holes needing filled in years at the same time. 

Love it though !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No Eifert or Burfict against the Stool-Pidgeons. No Bueno.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's one

https://playbook.draftkings.com/nfl/afc-team-team-minicamp-notes

Was pretty certain that Cincy Jungle had quietly slid in a quote from someone on the coaching staff, pretty much ruling Eifert out for at least week 2 of the regular season.

I sincerely hope we don't eventually find ourselves debating on whether to save Eifert until after the bye week.  We can only assume traveling to London and all that atmospheric pressure of the plane would negatively affect his injury, after all.  Gulp.  And the slide down the hill continues...will the next update be good, or at least neutral?  Stay tuned.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is for all of you that have been fans for at least a decade or so.  Remember how we begged an pleaded for a "pass catching" TE?  Remember how it dominated the draft and free agent discussions?  Remember how thrilled we were to get Ben Utecht?  Remember how excited we were when we used the 98th pick of the draft on TE Chase Coffman?  Well imagine back then (pre-Gresham) we had used the 85th pick of the draft on a 6'5", 240 TE who could run a 4.67 forty and had caught 43 passes his sophomore year in college?

We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert.  Kroft is not some late-round scrub, or just a "blocking" TE. He is a long, athletic TE who could contribute a lot to our offense in 2-TE sets in addition to filling in for Eifert when he is out with injury.  I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six differet events.

Good stuff here Fred, he played very good as a rookie last year as well. As good as could be expected.

Kroft could end up being quite the steal for a 3rd rounder. He may not be the route runner that Eifert is but i
doubt there is a TE in the league who runs routes better than Eifert. Kroft is a good blocker and has good hands.

Great insurance cause Eifert should be out atleast one game and this gives both Kroft and Uzomah more first team
snaps. The Eifert injury sucks but it could be a blessing in disguise getting these guys more reps.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Eifert injury sucks but it could be a blessing in disguise getting these guys more reps.

Oy, Eifert had better stop "blessing" this franchise if he knows what's good for him!
Reply/Quote
I've always desired a TE of the Heath Miller mold. Thank god that guy is out of the AFCN by the way. Probably the most underrated departure from our division.

I'm hoping Kroft will evolve into that chain moving sure handed TE. I think he has the potential.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 05:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've always desired a TE of the Heath Miller mold. Thank god that guy is out of the AFCN by the way. Probably the most underrated departure from our division.

I'm hoping Kroft will evolve into that chain moving sure handed TE. I think he has the potential.

As young as he is, he could put on 15 to 20, and still move pretty well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Kroft. Wasn't impressed at first, but as he got more opportunity, he showed some talent. Good hands, and pretty quick for someone that big.
Reply/Quote
Kroft could be huge for us if he pans out

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Kroft would have been a 2nd round pick had he had a better QB at Rutgers throwing it to him instead of the opposition.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is for all of you that have been fans for at least a decade or so.  Remember how we begged an pleaded for a "pass catching" TE?  Remember how it dominated the draft and free agent discussions?  
Hell, I remember being stoked about signing Bo Scaife
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote