Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A look at Maualuga's snaps played in 2016
Last year Rey played over 50% of the snaps in 4 of the first five games. In fact he played over 80% of the snaps in week five. But after Burfict returned Reys playing time dropped dramatically. He missed a couple of games with injury in the middle of the season, but his playing time was cut before then

In the 9 games Rey played after week 5 he never again played half of the snaps. In 6 of the 9 he played fewer than 30% of the snaps

The Bengals rarely release a player under contract, but I think with the signing of Minter Rey may be out the door.

Rey is only set the make $3.7 million, so it is no big deal if they keep him. But after Rey showed up out of shape last year I think it might send a good message. He also had some sort of mysterious injury right before training camp. I did not like the sounds of that either.
Reply/Quote
I too think Rey is gone. Maybe not now but he won't be a Bengal this season. He certainly better show up in shape (Burfict too hopefully)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Last year was weird for him all around. Showing up out of shape when he knew we'd already be suffering without Burfict, mysterious injuries, cut playing time. He had been having a bit of a career upswing in 14 and 15, but last years regressions and setbacks definitely seem to have accelerated his expiration date with the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Rey played over 50% of the snaps in 4 of the first five games.  In fact he played over 80% of the snaps in week five.  But after Burfict returned Reys playing time dropped dramatically.  He missed a couple of games with injury in the middle of the season, but his playing time was cut before then

In the 9 games Rey played after week 5 he never again played half of the snaps.  In 6 of the 9 he played fewer than 30% of the snaps

The Bengals rarely release a player under contract, but I think with the signing of Minter Rey may be out the door.

Rey is only set the make $3.7 million, so it is no big deal if they keep him.  But after Rey showed up out of shape last year I think it might send a good message.  He also had some sort of mysterious injury right before training camp.  I did not like the sounds of that either.

They said they weren't likely to take a LB in the first few days of the draft because they are so often in nickel, but they took Vigil in the third.  I was furious at the time because Billings was still on the board....got lucky he was there in the 4th.

I just wonder if they are worried about Burfict as well as Maualuga, not just showing up out of shape, but concussions and behavior issues.  Regardless, I would imagine they will still draft a speedier LB that they will hope to develop that can help right away on special teams.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote