Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A look at the numbers...2018 defense.
(01-07-2019, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I should point out where Marvin's defense would have ranked if it was the same throughout the whole year...
361.0 YPG would be 22nd in the league.
23.8 PPG would be 19th in the league.

You can't really go by that.  Had Marvin been coaching the defense all year long, they might never have ran Zone Defense in the secondary, some player might not have gotten injured.  Too many factors to play "what if".

Marvin has plenty of deficiencies, but I will give him credit for getting a beaten and battered unit to play hard for the back half of a shitty season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:55 PM)McC Wrote: He had two sacks.  And, I think, two fumble recoveries.  As a team, LA had seven.  They made him look like a rookie, which is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Dude was everywhere and it wasn't just Engram. Bosa had a sack i remember and they had lots of tackles for loss in that one. Fun game to watch as i am rooting for the Chargers and Rams from here on out. See if Whit can get a ring.

(01-07-2019, 08:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes it is ! Marvin rarely, if ever, stepped out of the box. 

That is that journalistic jargon stuff. The Chargers just got beat by the Ravens a few weeks ago and they adjusted and took the Read Pass Option completely away and made Lamar throw from the pocket like we should of done when we played them. As i said back then, no big mystery in stopping that guy, the Chargers figured it out and adjusted accordingly.

(01-07-2019, 08:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looked up the nubers.  Surprisingly the league average first down conversion on 3rd and 7 or longer was 25.7%.  That seems high to me.  But Bengals were 30th (thank you Atlanta and oakland) allowing 31.9% conversion.

For some perspective the Vikings only alowed a 30.2% on all third down conversions of any length.

Thanks for the numbers Fred.

(01-07-2019, 08:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't have guessed league average was over 25% either. But as I expected we were among the worst.

Yep. Cannot win with that shit going on. Have to stop teams on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long where your pass rushers can pin their ears back.
Reply/Quote
I thought our defense was playing well at the end of the season. Holding Rivers, Carr, and Big Ben in check isn't easy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote