Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A look back at some of 2018's big money moves...
(03-13-2019, 06:35 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You don't think completely turning over almost the entire coaching staff and buying into a brand new coaching philosophy is a different approach? They've made some pretty major changes due to those 3 straight losing seasons, and to say they haven't just because they have yet to sign someone in 2 days of free agency seems kind of silly.

What is the change in coaching philosophy? We played a 4-3 base defense primarily, sounds we will do the same. Just because you brought in new coaches does not mean their ideas are better or worse. History shows they are not better around the NFL. I hope history is wrong this time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the change in coaching philosophy? We played a 4-3 base defense primarily, sounds we will do the same. Just because you brought in new coaches does not mean their ideas are better or worse. History shows they are not better around the NFL. I hope history is wrong this time.

People act like Marvin was a historically bad coach that you could take guys off the street and make coaches that would be better.

I think what we will see is that management was bad and Marvin was good and able to overcome that.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the change in coaching philosophy? We played a 4-3 base defense primarily, sounds we will do the same. Just because you brought in new coaches does not mean their ideas are better or worse. History shows they are not better around the NFL. I hope history is wrong this time.

You don't think a young coach coming from a completely different offensive system where he was surrounded by completely different voices for his entire career is going to do things the slightest bit different from someone who held the same job for more than 15 years?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People act like Marvin was a historically bad coach that you could take guys off the street and make coaches that would be better.

I think what we will see is that management was bad and Marvin was good and able to overcome that.

Yeah, remember the time management completely lost control of the team during the playoff game in Pittsburgh in 2015 and cost them their first playoff win in forever? And remember when management botched all those clock management situations costing the Bengals points in countless games? Remember when management put together the gameplans of completely ignoring AJ Green in playoff games in Houston?

Yup, that Marvin guy sure wasn't responsible for a thing. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:56 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Yeah, remember the time management completely lost control of the team during the playoff game in Pittsburgh in 2015 and cost them their first playoff win in forever? And remember when management botched all those clock management situations costing the Bengals points in countless games? Remember when management put together the gameplans of completely ignoring AJ Green in playoff games in Houston?

Yup, that Marvin guy sure wasn't responsible for a thing. Sarcasm

You think Marvin told Hill to fumble and Burfict and Jones to commit personal fouls? You think he told Dalton to not throw to AJ Green?

Gee maybe Taylor will tell those guys not to do those things. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You think Marvin told Hill to fumble and Burfict and Jones to commit personal fouls? You think he told Dalton to not throw to AJ Green?

Gee maybe Taylor will tell those guys not to do those things. Hilarious

Uh, yeah, I absolutely put two personal fouls in the last 2 minutes of a playoff game on the head coach, and yeah, I think he probably deserves at least partial blame for the fumble as well. Maybe you should try holding the coach as accountable as you do the front office? That was a Super Bowl caliber roster the FO put out on the field that year, and Marvin and his boys Adam and Vontaze blew it.

If Taylor *doesn't* stress the importance of not losing your heads in a game like that, he shouldn't be coaching. That's your damn job as a coach is to keep your players in line. But sure, laugh it off like that's too much to ask... Marvin was clearly blameless for that debacle.
Reply/Quote
No coach college or Pro has been able to stop Burfict from getting personal fouls. It's one of the reasons he went undrafted. We seem to like to build a roster with guys like that and it bit us.

And why wasnt Marvin fired after that game? Yeah management tolerated it.

That team wasnt winning a SB with McCarron. We started that year 8-0 and finished 4-4. We peaked to early.

If I recall correctly, we had several shots at home field and squandered them too.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No coach college or Pro has been able to stop Burfict from getting personal fouls. It's one of the reasons he went undrafted. We seem to like to build a roster with guys like that and it bit us.

And why wasnt Marvin fired after that game? Yeah management tolerated it.

That team wasnt winning a SB with McCarron. We started that year 8-0 and finished 4-4. We peaked to early.

If I recall correctly, we had several shots at home field and squandered them too.

...and yet Marv went to bat for Burfict time and time again, never punishing him or evidently holding him accountable for anything. It's funny how you'll give Marvin all the credit for the good player personnel moves but none of the blame for the bad (ie, having these guys on the roster), but by God if it doesn't fit the story you want to tell you'll just ignore it. And now it's "oh, Marvin should have been fired, it's management's fault for not doing it". Make up your mind about the guy already and stop trying to dance on both sides of the line in an attempt to make whatever point you're trying to make.

"No coach college or pro"... what, both of them? Not exactly a long line of head coaches with a track record of not being able to control Vontaze.

You blame the front office for them blowing home field advantage? That's rich. I guess for having McCarron as the backup, a QB that many people around here (stupidly) insisted should have been starting for years, even after 2015?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:53 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You don't think a young coach coming from a completely different offensive system where he was surrounded by completely different voices for his entire career is going to do things the slightest bit different from someone who held the same job for more than 15 years?

Sorry not all change is positive. Like I said, I hope he does well and bucks the trend of 1st year NFL head coaches making the playoffs.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This year's group has some studs.

Tackle Brown

Trent Brown is not a stud he got overpaid he wasn’t even that good he just played on a super bowl team
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I still don't understand how Sammy Watkins keeps getting money like he is a top 3 WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They traded Bridgewater before Darnold had ever started an actual NFL game. Basically, the Jets paid $5 million for a late third round draft pick this year (which has a value of a $3.5 million). Seems like they still overpaid. They certainly could have found something better to spend that money on last year, that's for sure.

I know they traded him before Darnold ever played, but they drafted the kid to do just that.....play.  My point was, if Darnold would have gotten hurt last year, I'd say they would have wished Teddy was still there.  So, like I said in response to the question you asked me......since Darnold held up all season, I'd say they were happy.  Had he not, it may have been a different tune.

Also, it was the Saints that paid the 5 million, NYJ signed him for 1 million.  That was a HUGE STEAL.

In NO, he was paid a base salary of 935k, and got a 4 mil and change "restructure bonus".

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/teddy-bridgewater-14441/cash-earnings/

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People act like Marvin was a historically bad coach that you could take guys off the street and make coaches that would be better.

Marvin overcame some poor management, but he also had the horses to win at least one damn playoff game, and never got that done either.

Poor management, and poor game management are TWO problems, not just one.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 07:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I still don't understand how Sammy Watkins keeps getting money like he is a top 3 WR.

He seems to always be hurt and then he gets healthy near the end of the season and has like 3 big games...then BAM HUGE CONTRACT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seems to always be hurt and then he gets healthy near the end of the season and has like 3 big games...then BAM HUGE CONTRACT.

Yeah, "hurt".....lol.  Dude's got that contract shit figured out, don't he? LMAO

Reply/Quote
Honest question, but when a team makes a big money free agent signing and the fans complain that it wasn't worth it do you think they console themselves by saying "Look at the Bengals, they never sign big money free agents and they haven't won a playoff game in almost 30 years" or something to that effect?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Honest question, but when a team makes a big money free agent signing and the fans complain that it wasn't worth it do you think they console themselves by saying "Look at the Bengals, they never sign big money free agents and they haven't won a playoff game in almost 30 years" or something to that effect?

I think that up to about 3 years ago there were plenty of teams and fanbases that would've looked at the Bengals approach and say "they're doing something right in order to make the playoffs 5 straight seasons", but now we're all supposed to pretend like that doesn't mean anything because they never won one of those games. A lot of fanbases (outside of a handful of teams) would've been very happy to have that level of success.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:49 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I think that up to about 3 years ago there were plenty of teams and fanbases that would've looked at the Bengals approach and say "they're doing something right in order to make the playoffs 5 straight seasons", but now we're all supposed to pretend like that doesn't mean anything because they never won one of those games. A lot of fanbases (outside of a handful of teams) would've been very happy to have that level of success.

In all fairness, fans of other teams that I know considered the Bengals to be a veritable first round bye after the 2013 loss, and they were leaning that way before it.  Also, teams that would envy making the playoffs 5 years in a row (Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, Raiders, Redskins, Lions, Buccaneers) have all made a number of significant changes to their QB/HC/GM aspects (for good, or ill) in the past 8 years, anyways. I see more action and less wishing and envying than you, I guess.

But I won't knock it entirely...it was an accomplishment.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there are lots of good players out there but you cant build a great team by over paying a few free agents unless you have a solid core of players still on their rookie deals.   once your core of guys is on 2nd or 3rd deals you got less to sling around.

but then all this news where are the colts and their 100 mil?

Instead, the Bengals will overpay 3 bad players to match overpaying for that one good free agent.
Reply/Quote