Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A look inside our offense indeed our Achilles heel
Our offense by and large especially in the first half of the season has been our downfall this season.

I have some extra time off not expected so I decided to dig into it a little bit.

Vs. the rest of MLB here's where we sit in the top categories:

HR - 170 for 17th place upper bottom half of the league, actually a little higher than I figured we'd be.
RBI - 526 for 22nd place, bottom 3rd of the league.
Avg. - .250 for 16th place, we've came up quite a bit from where we started off the year.
Slg. - .433 for 16th place, again middle of the pack and a little higher than I figured we'd be.
OBP - .319 for 21st place an area we need to improve in for sure.
Strike Outs - 1026 for 11th best in the league and I was surprised by this I figured we'd be much worse.
Walks - 346 for 25th lowest in the league and that hurts our OBP quite a bit, bunch of free swingers !
Stolen Bases - 56 for 14th in the league and an area I'd like to see us jump up a lot next year.

Now for some individual position stats: with all the jumping around positions we and other teams I'm sure do as well this is hard to pin down exactly. Still you can get a general idea.

C - we actually aren't doing that bad there 15 HR and 55 RBI's which isn't that far from league avg. 17 and 61 if you add in Lavarnway
3B - Suarez leads the majors in HR by 3Bmen with 33, he's a bit off the pace in RBI's with 75 but I'd say some of that can be attributed to not getting on base that well.
SS - again not that far of the pace between Iggy and Peraza and you don't normally expect super production at SS anyways. I hope we keep Iggy at SS.
2B - We've had so many players in and out of there it's very hard to get a true gauge. Overall we're not that far off I'd say.

And now the elephant in the room
1B - 12 HR's and 39 RBI's the avg. of the top 10 1Bmen is 26 HR's and 86 RBI's at this point in the season. Votto is 19th in batting avg. and 38th in slugging. You simply can't have these kinds of numbers from a power position, it's just impossible !

RF - between Puig and Aquino we're right there. Hopefully Aquino can stay towards the top next season.
CF Senzel is doing fine, another defensive positin you normally don't have to have super offensive numbers from and I'd say Senzel will improve next year, hopefully he can stay healthy.
LF - anther position it's hard to pin down exact numbers with all the different guys who've been out there. Between the guys listed as LF we have 50 RBI's add in Ervin and it goes up to 69. We're not that far out of range in LF but it's definietly a position we need to get better !

I'd say at this point, last 1/4 of the season our team places aren't going to move that much. And IMHO if this team is going to contend next season we have to get a good deal better on offense especially at the power positions - 1B, and LF we're hopefully going to be OK at 3B and RF.

It wouldn't hurt to get more consistent at 2B and hopefully Barnhart won't be ice cold to start the season off next year, Winker as well !

IMHO opinion if they're going to make a move at contending THE TIME IS NOW they can't keep a top level pitching staff together for ever and as far as that goes position players either.

I know there's a bunch of folks who want to see JV end his career a Red but we need to do something quick to get in the mix.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is interesting.  Can anyone name these players?

Player (1)
Games: 113  OBP: .352  SLG: .410  HR: 12

Player (2)
Games: 98  OBP: .349  SLG: .514    HR: 19

Player (3)
Games: 100  OBP: .302 SLG: .475  HR: 22

Player (4)
Games: 13   OBP: .426  SLG: 1.023 HR: 9
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 05:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is interesting.  Can anyone name these players?

Player (1)
Games: 113  OBP: .352  SLG: .410  HR: 12

Player (2)
Games: 98  OBP: .349  SLG: .514    HR: 19

Player (3)
Games: 100  OBP: .302 SLG: .475  HR: 22

Player (4)
Games: 13   OBP: .426  SLG: 1.023 HR: 9

4 Aquino
2 Dietrich
3 Puig
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 05:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 4 Aquino
2 Dietrich
3 Puig

keep going...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 06:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: keep going...

Without cheating my guess for 1 is Senzel
Reply/Quote
Hint:

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
BTW #1 was Votto.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: BTW #1 was Votto.

Shoulda known, course who thinks about a vet like him having 37 RBI's or whatever this late in the season ?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 06:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hint:

Good to hear, seriously they need long looks at these noobs

I didn't see what happened to Suarez but maybe they should sit him a couple games for same reason
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear, seriously they need long looks at these noobs

I didn't see what happened to Suarez but maybe they should sit him a couple games for same reason

Hurt his hand I think.

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Peraza on the mound and has a brain fart right off the bat.
Reply/Quote