Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A majority of Americans say this is the biggest threat to democracy
(10-25-2022, 06:23 AM)pally Wrote: People are using media for affirmation of their beliefs as opposed to information.

Probably the best post in this forum in the past four years.  Sincerely, kudos to you.
Reply/Quote
The media has its faults. But I hate the fake news media narrative. I also think that narrative in itself is a threat to our democracy. It's just an excuse for people to ignore what they don't want to hear while giving people more trust in stories on the Internet or from politicians that don't have to hold themselves to the same standards.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 07:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get so tired of hearing about that. I have some QAnon folks in my family and they reference that all the time. They refer to anything they deem to be "fake news" these day as Operation Mockingbird. It's apparently a common thing in that community..

For the record, I have absolutely nothing to do with the Q quackery. I learned about OM in the late 90's. As with most things of it's nature, there is likely a grain of truth. Unfortunately, many have run with it to discredit anything that does not confirm their biases.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I said and shared this many times.  

Quote:Investigative reporters investigate and report.

Reporters report.

News readers read the news.

Commentators commentate on the news.

Viewers/Readers take in all of that and must understand where the information came from and then decide what to do with it.

Know the difference and then blame "the media" for what you hear.

Thanks for listening.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 06:07 PM)Dill Wrote: On the "live info environment"--I think this also speaks to a general lack of understanding how science works, which may be increasing. There may be a religious component as well--you have "faith" in sources until they prove contradictory and erroneous. Science is constantly invalidating previous knowledge, never finally authoritative the way the Bible is for believers. What happens when Believers evaluate science-based policy during a pandemic? First Fauci said "no masks" and "close schools" and then he said "never mind"--so was he LYING the first time around? He and the government must not know anything if they change their minds. Hannity was right all along. How can I trust them on the vaccine? 

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 04:56 AM)treee Wrote: https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Great article.

Might be some Mansplaining going on in that areosol/droplets debate.

Only sure conclusion--if the PhDs disagree, then my 'pinion is good as yours! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote