Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Dog chapter
Friday was the last day at my job after putting in a notice a few weeks ago. I got to say, I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulder. I hired into this place in Feb-2014 as an assistant distribution mgr. Then less than 3 months later was promoted Distribution manager, and then 2 yrs later had me running Distribution operations in both Ohio and Mississippi. The money was outstanding, but I was away from home for several weeks at a time and before long was so consumed with the Mississippi operation and trying to fix their errors I was unable to completely focus on both. Job was 24/7 and that in itself could not even begin to define the enormity of the calls I received all nights when trying to get a few hours of sleep. After about 10 months, I had become so frigging deprived of sleep and stressed out it was becoming unreal.

A month ago I had a Dr's apt and he did a med check and I had to give blood. When the results came back he advised I had pretty elevated white blood cell count. In addition, I had lost 40lbs in those months. My diet was nothing but fast food and lived out of the Hampton Inn most of the time, so how could I be losing weight? However, I knew I was because 40lbs is not unnoticeable. After doing some research, I discovered elevated white blood cell counts were either due to stress or a few other possibilities' like cancer, or fighting an illness. However, knowing how exhausted I felt and what I had gone through in the past 10 months, I was pretty confident it was stress (please God don't let it be anything worse).

Stress was also taking a toll on our marriage. Not anything weird, just never seeing one another and when I was home, the wife was getting woke up every night more than once with the phone ringing. I almost volunteered to sleep in another bedroom it was so bad. We talked about the situation and decided there was no amount of money worth my health and mutually decided it was time to think of other possibilities. We were not 100% dedicated to making an immediate change because, well, the money was so good. Yet we knew we had to start thinking about it (not going to quit without nowhere to go).

I took vacation on a Friday and Monday (4 day weekend) to celebrate our anniversary because I had to be at a meeting during our actual anniversary in Illinois and even though I had everything lined up, and everyone knew I was on vacation, my phone still lit up like a Christmas tree. Really pissed my wife off. We don't get weekends together at all and I've only had 2 days of peace in 3 yrs when I had carotid artery surgery because I was in the hospital. We have taken 2 vacations, both which involved me working everyday for a few hours in the morning, then a few hours at night which limited any possible fun. Although we dealt with it and accepted the responsibilities of what my position held. Nobody made a decision without going through me. They had the authority to, but didn't. Interrupting our anniversary was the final straw for her.

On Sunday of that weekend, we went for a drive and I made a pit stop to a convenient store to grab a 24oz Bud Light. I ran into my previous employer who asked me when I could come back. I didn't say anything to provoke such a question but just a greeting of the day. Knowing my wife was unhappy, I entertained the conversation and we talked for about 10 minutes (leaving her in the car). He asked me to come by his office the next day to talk some more. I agreed. I arrived back to the car and apologized to my wife and explained what had just happened and she smiled.

Monday came and I went to the meeting. We discussed and he said he would call me later that night with an offer (not sole owner). I received the call and was sort of blown back by the offer because it was nice. I countered and it got nicer and I explained I would have to speak to the wife and I would get back with him. Well, she was pleased and here I am. I begin that job in a few weeks (I need time to decompress from the last 3yrs).

Today was my first day unemployed from my other job. However, first thing this morning I am receiving calls and texts for direction and advice. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! I'm a good guy so I answered and did my best, however I turned in my laptop, company car, etc yesterday. I helped the best I could, but I didn't have access to all the information needed to fully help, only advice.

Since noon, I have not received any more calls or texts work wise and now I kinda feel lost. I'm so used to everyone relying on me, the silence is very loud. No tugging, no stress, no anything? I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to deal with it, LOL? I had a pretty great day with my wife today without interruption. We sipped a few beers, watched a little hockey (still watching) and have actually laughed a lot. I think I can get used to it, but I will probably have a little withdrawal from not being the head cheese so many relied upon every day. Felt pretty important with all those calls, meetings, trips, etc. Always providing direction and now feel a little lost myself. Although I will manage the office I am going to - It's nothing like a huge corporation I came from. 

Regardless, I'm not going to miss the chest tightening, leg thumping, sleepless nights, fast food and no time for anything Dog like. I will miss the attention, recognition, respect, praise and money. So, as few of you read this long drawn out explanation of my last 3 years, you may ask, "why are you telling us this Dog"? Well, your going to be seeing (reading) a lot more of me in the future. I finally get time to get back to these boards more often, one of the true pleasures in my life outside my family.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like you made the right, and necessary, choice. Good luck as you move forward.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Money and job security is great ( especially in the present work climate).
Your wifes' happiness, your health, and mental well being also are huge considerations, glad things are on the upswing for your family.

When I first read the title, I thought you guys had obtained a new puppy.
Keep us updated if you will.
Reply/Quote
Good for you, Harley. Money and authority is nice, but sometimes not worth the cost of your quality of life.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good luck at the new job, but just remember: When I say no ice I still expect you to fill it to the top with coke
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 12:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good luck at the new job, but just remember: When I say no ice I still expect you to fill it to the top with coke

Got it!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 10:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Friday was the last day at my job after putting in a notice a few weeks ago. I got to say, I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulder. I hired into this place in Feb-2014 as an assistant distribution mgr. Then less than 3 months later was promoted Distribution manager, and then 2 yrs later had me running Distribution operations in both Ohio and Mississippi. The money was outstanding, but I was away from home for several weeks at a time and before long was so consumed with the Mississippi operation and trying to fix their errors I was unable to completely focus on both. Job was 24/7 and that in itself could not even begin to define the enormity of the calls I received all nights when trying to get a few hours of sleep. After about 10 months, I had become so frigging deprived of sleep and stressed out it was becoming unreal.

A month ago I had a Dr's apt and he did a med check and I had to give blood. When the results came back he advised I had pretty elevated white blood cell count. In addition, I had lost 40lbs in those months. My diet was nothing but fast food and lived out of the Hampton Inn most of the time, so how could I be losing weight? However, I knew I was because 40lbs is not unnoticeable. After doing some research, I discovered elevated white blood cell counts were either due to stress or a few other possibilities' like cancer, or fighting an illness. However, knowing how exhausted I felt and what I had gone through in the past 10 months, I was pretty confident it was stress (please God don't let it be anything worse).

Stress was also taking a toll on our marriage. Not anything weird, just never seeing one another and when I was home, the wife was getting woke up every night more than once with the phone ringing. I almost volunteered to sleep in another bedroom it was so bad. We talked about the situation and decided there was no amount of money worth my health and mutually decided it was time to think of other possibilities. We were not 100% dedicated to making an immediate change because, well, the money was so good. Yet we knew we had to start thinking about it (not going to quit without nowhere to go).

I took vacation on a Friday and Monday (4 day weekend) to celebrate our anniversary because I had to be at a meeting during our actual anniversary in Illinois and even though I had everything lined up, and everyone knew I was on vacation, my phone still lit up like a Christmas tree. Really pissed my wife off. We don't get weekends together at all and I've only had 2 days of peace in 3 yrs when I had carotid artery surgery because I was in the hospital. We have taken 2 vacations, both which involved me working everyday for a few hours in the morning, then a few hours at night which limited any possible fun. Although we dealt with it and accepted the responsibilities of what my position held. Nobody made a decision without going through me. They had the authority to, but didn't. Interrupting our anniversary was the final straw for her.

On Sunday of that weekend, we went for a drive and I made a pit stop to a convenient store to grab a 24oz Bud Light. I ran into my previous employer who asked me when I could come back. I didn't say anything to provoke such a question but just a greeting of the day. Knowing my wife was unhappy, I entertained the conversation and we talked for about 10 minutes (leaving her in the car). He asked me to come by his office the next day to talk some more. I agreed. I arrived back to the car and apologized to my wife and explained what had just happened and she smiled.

Monday came and I went to the meeting. We discussed and he said he would call me later that night with an offer (not sole owner). I received the call and was sort of blown back by the offer because it was nice. I countered and it got nicer and I explained I would have to speak to the wife and I would get back with him. Well, she was pleased and here I am. I begin that job in a few weeks (I need time to decompress from the last 3yrs).

Today was my first day unemployed from my other job. However, first thing this morning I am receiving calls and texts for direction and advice. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! I'm a good guy so I answered and did my best, however I turned in my laptop, company car, etc yesterday. I helped the best I could, but I didn't have access to all the information needed to fully help, only advice.

Since noon, I have not received any more calls or texts work wise and now I kinda feel lost. I'm so used to everyone relying on me, the silence is very loud. No tugging, no stress, no anything? I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to deal with it, LOL? I had a pretty great day with my wife today without interruption. We sipped a few beers, watched a little hockey (still watching) and have actually laughed a lot. I think I can get used to it, but I will probably have a little withdrawal from not being the head cheese so many relied upon every day. Felt pretty important with all those calls, meetings, trips, etc. Always providing direction and now feel a little lost myself. Although I will manage the office I am going to - It's nothing like a huge corporation I came from. 

Regardless, I'm not going to miss the chest tightening, leg thumping, sleepless nights, fast food and no time for anything Dog like. I will miss the attention, recognition, respect, praise and money. So, as few of you read this long drawn out explanation of my last 3 years, you may ask, "why are you telling us this Dog"? Well, your going to be seeing (reading) a lot more of me in the future. I finally get time to get back to these boards more often, one of the true pleasures in my life outside my family.

How about that chance meeting with the former employer. Timely to say the least. Someone is looking out for you! ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Congrats man! Money def isn't everything. My wife is looking to move to first shift for more family time. We will take a hit on babysitting cost and shift diff, but family time in my opinion is worth it. We will make it work and be happier for it as I know you will be in your situation! Everything happens for a reason, IMHO!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 02:24 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: How about that chance meeting with the former employer. Timely to say the least. Someone is looking out for you! ThumbsUp

No doubt. Timing was everything. Good Luck Harley!

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
That's awesome man!  Best of luck to you.  Sounds like you needed to get the hell outta dodge before.  Glad its working out for you. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 02:24 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: How about that chance meeting with the former employer. Timely to say the least. Someone is looking out for you!

Same force that has always taken care of our main dog...

(05-06-2017, 10:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I made a pit stop to a convenient store to grab a 24oz Bud Light. I ran into my previous employer

BEER KARMA.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
BTW who remembers when H Dog asked our advice when he was first offered this job?

I think most of us suggested that he take it at that time.
Reply/Quote