Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new organ
Researchers have discovered a new organ in the body known as the Interstitium and it could potentially unlock many of the bodies secrets.

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/the-interstitium-a-new-organ-that-could-explain-the-mysteries-of-the-human-body/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/03/28/study-says-we-have-undiscovered-organ-its-called-interstitium/465173002/

Quote:Scientists have discovered a new piece of human anatomy we never knew we had—a layer of connective tissue that exists all over the body. It sits below the skin’s surface, lining the digestive tract, the lungs, and even our blood vessels. Researchers say it could be the missing link the medical community needs to move forward in a number of areas of research, including cancer and autoimmune disease.

But it could also explain so much more, including why our skin sags when we’re old, and how acupuncture could work. Neil Theise, professor of pathology at NYU School of Medicine, and Rebecca Wells, professor of medicine and bioengineering at University of Pennsylvania, join Ira to discuss their discovery—and their theories about the the interstitium.

The NPR/SciFri link goes into much further detail, including interviews with the researchers.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Next up on the market at GNC? Interstidium supplements to promote a healthier interstidium..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Next up on the market at GNC?  Interstidium supplements to promote a healthier interstidium..

It appears this might be a Holy Grail some cancer researchers have been looking for: a highway through the lymph system that some lymphatic cancers have been using to transport to other areas and spread.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:40 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: It appears this might be a Holy Grail some cancer researchers have been looking for: a highway through the lymph system that some lymphatic cancers have been using to transport to other areas and spread.

It is a remarkable breakthrough, especially in a time when we thought we knew all there was to know about the human anatomy.  (minus the inner workings of the brain)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It is a remarkable breakthrough, especially in a time when we thought we knew all there was to know about the human anatomy.  (minus the inner workings of the brain)

The initial research for this and a study done about 10 years ago now supports that acupuncture is hard science. They believe electrical signals from acupuncture points travel through the collagen network.

About ten years ago, they did a study where they pierced the skin membrane at various points on the body with thin needles. They then transmitted sound waves through the needles. Needles that were not on acupuncture points only transmitted the sound a few millimeters. But needles that were placed on known acupuncture points transmitted the sound throughout other points in the body. At that time, they couldn't figure out how these points were able to do that. But initial research shows that sound and electric impulses are traveling through this layer.

Pretty interesting stuff!
Reply/Quote
The title of this thread made me think there was a new stem cell treatment?

Might be a miracle in science here? Would be great to finally kill or find a better way to fight cancer than what exists and has taken loved ones from so many of us, to include some of our fellow brothers and sisters here.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:40 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: It appears this might be a Holy Grail some cancer researchers have been looking for: a highway through the lymph system that some lymphatic cancers have been using to transport to other areas and spread.

Let's hope so. 

Thanks for sharing

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How did nobody notice this before?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 06:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How did nobody notice this before?

They knew it was there, but they didn't realize it was actually another organ. When the area is dehydrated, such as all of the slide samples they have viewed over the past hundred years, the collagen cells dissipate and the area looks like just another skin layer. They called it the 'fascia'. With new technology, they can view it in a living body. Suddenly, they have realized that this area is full of activity in a living body.
Reply/Quote

Would it help them treat it or just explain why and how cancer spreads so much?

How could it help them treat it, if that's what it would help with?

Pretty amazing that they're still finding out new things about the body.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 11:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would it help them treat it or just explain why and how cancer spreads so much?

If you know how it spreads you might be able to find a way to keep it from doing so. A lot of people die not from the initial cancer, but when it spreads to multiple organs.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 11:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Would it help them treat it or just explain why and how cancer spreads so much?

(04-02-2018, 12:35 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: If you know how it spreads you might be able to find a way to keep it from doing so. A lot of people die not from the initial cancer, but when it spreads to multiple organs.

As Mallorian said, they need to find out how it is spreading before they can stop it. Now, they are pretty sure they know.

Of course, this is just the cancers that travel through the lymphatic system. There are other varieties I believe.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Next up on the market at GNC?  Interstidium supplements to promote a healthier interstidium..

I definitely need some of that
Reply/Quote
I thought this thread was about penis transplants. Ninja

But seriously, this is very interesting. Hopefully it can save lives one day.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Something I heard on the radio yesterday was talking about micro levels of lithium in some cities drinking water and those areas with slightly elevated lithium levels have up to 40% fewer suicides and depression than those with less or no lithium . It's nowhere near the kind of levels that doctors prescribe ,just micro levels ,but the difference is undisputable.. It's well known in other countries, but goes almost completely unreported here.. 

If medical research ever finds a way to keep us all alive indefinitely I'm opting out .I've been a caregiver for a lot of old folks and have no desire to be kept alive well beyond the point where life is no longer enjoyable. My dad, 89 can barely get around , falls down routinely and is blind completely in one eye and almost blind in the other, his hearing is all but gone and he doesn't remember things longer than a few minutes. And yet his overall health is pretty good despite a  pacemaker and about 7 stents in him..  Almost every day he'll tell me he's not going to be around much longer ,but yet he's still kicking, going out to get the newspaper he can't read and so on .
I sometimes really wonder if all these medical advances are what they're cracked up to be . I just had a conversation with my dad about locking up criminals for life, but suppose medical advances reach the point where even horrible criminals can be kept alive well beyond their normal life expectancy ? 
Isn't there, or at least be some cut off point where we say enough is enough? If someone commits a heinous crime at 20 and is sentenced to life in prison, but  medical science is able to keep him or her alive well beyond 100.. Personally I would think 80 years behind bars is punishment enough so now we're going to tack on another 30 for something that happened in another century? 
You might want to live to 130..170..250 years old, but I'd be just fine with maybe 80 or 90.. 
Sorry, got a bit off topic, but some things are just not quite worth knowing .
Fine if doctors can cure you of certain disease in your 50s, but is it worth the effort if you've already outlived your grandchildren and great grandchildren ?
I think this is where ethics come into play and the strange thing about ethics is they're not the same for everyone . What is completely taboo today may become completely normalized in 20 years ..

And back to your regularly scheduled programming. The wholesome, healthy foods you eat today will probably kill you next week ..or not.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:07 PM)grampahol Wrote: Something I heard on the radio yesterday was talking about micro levels of lithium in some cities drinking water and those areas with slightly elevated lithium levels have up to 40% fewer suicides and depression than those with less or no lithium . It's nowhere near the kind of levels that doctors prescribe ,just micro levels ,but the difference is undisputable.. It's well known in other countries, but goes almost completely unreported here.. 

I guess a small daily dose could help over time.  But if it's enough to help, then it may be enough to also cause the long term problems that can come with lithium use.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess a small daily dose could help over time.  But if it's enough to help, then it may be enough to also cause the long term problems that can come with lithium use.

Lithium probably isn't the problem. The problem is probably going to be who do you trust to either add it to or remove from the water supply? Would you trust the mayor of Flint Michigan ? It's not as if every politician is trustworthy.  At one time we started adding fluoride to drinking water and then suddenly we had people claiming that it was some mind control drug or some silly nonsense.. What? Vaccinate my kids to prevent horrific diseases from spreading ? Well , shouldn't we all be allowed to put the rest of society at risk because I believe [insert silly claims by known television personalities ]..  You can  bet that if lithium were added to the water supply there would suddenly be claims of big government mind control programs and on and on.  
Personally I'm just fine with getting depressed occasionally without someone telling me my moods must be monitored by the department of mood disorders.  lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote