Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A note on rookie QB stats
In Vince Young's rookie season he was 8-5 as a starter and went to the Pro Bowl. Robert Griffen III was 9-6, finished 3rd in the league in passer rating, and rushed for over 800 yards.

Meanwhile in Peyton Manning's first season he led the league in interceptions, finished 23rd in passer rating, and only won 3 games.

It's not how you start.  It is how you finish.

There's a "Brrrrr" in his name 'cause he has ice water in his veins.

It's JB time my brothers.

Who DeyDancingWho DeyYesWho DeyGarfieldGarfieldWho Dey
Reply/Quote
While everything you stated is true, let's not forget there have been rookie QBs that have started fast and continued to be great.

Look no further than Cincinnati born Russell Wilson.

Rookie year he goes 11-5, and was a Pro-Bowl Alternate and made the post season with 3118 yards, 26 TDs and 11 INTs. Since that rookie year he has made 7 more Pro-Bowls and won a Super Bowl.

Joe might be great, Joe might be average, Joe might be bad. Time and what the coaches and front office do around him, will tell the tale.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bill Polian vs. Duke Tobin
Tony Dungy vs. Zac Taylor
Jim Irsay vs. The Brown/Blackburn crew

I'm not so sure that this particular analogy is all that realistic. While I do believe that Joe Burrow is extremely talented and has a very high ceiling, I'd lean toward comparing his likely career trajectory to Archie's, not Peyton's. 
Reply/Quote
Its not burrow we are worried about
Reply/Quote
Burrow is the Wheel-Burrow because he's here to haul dead weight. I ain't worried, but I also didn't get all bumhurt when analysts pondered that the Bengals weren't the idea spot for a guy from Ohio who spent his life willingly rooting for the Saints.

It ain't what it ain't.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 12:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While everything you stated is true, let's not forget there have been rookie QBs that have started fast and continued to be great.

Look no further than Cincinnati born Russell Wilson.

Rookie year he goes 11-5, and was a Pro-Bowl Alternate and made the post season with 3118 yards, 26 TDs and 11 INTs. Since that rookie year he has made 7 more Pro-Bowls and won a Super Bowl.

Joe might be great, Joe might be average, Joe might be bad. Time and what the coaches and front office do around him, will tell the tale.

Wilson also had a legendary defense and rushing attack.  He was hardly a one-man show like Burrow was last year.  Just sayin'.  
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 10:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wilson also had a legendary defense and rushing attack.  He was hardly a one-man show like Burrow was last year.  Just sayin'.  

No one is a one man show.

Peyton had James at RB, Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark with a great coach and front office.

QBs that succeed... Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Manning, etc.. common theme, good owners, and good coaches above all else.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It’s really amazing at what Burrow accomplished,by keeping his team competitive,in most games.And winning some.Had they had a better defense,he would have had a more impressive record.Concidering all the odds he had stacked against him,and as a rookie coming in the league,with an inexperienced head coach,terrible OL,and dealing with a Pandemic that eliminated the preseason.
Reply/Quote
yes 1 year a career does not make unless its your only year...
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 12:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Look no further than Cincinnati born Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson is also one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  He has the fourth highest career passer rating (101.7), but has also averaged over 500 rushing yards per season.  Despite all that running he has not missed a single game in 9 seasons. He has averaged 11 wins per regular season and only has 3 years where he did not win a postseason game.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Russell Wilson is also one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  He has the fourth highest career passer rating (101.7), but has also averaged over 500 rushing yards per season.  Despite all that running he has not missed a single game in 9 seasons. He has averaged 11 wins per regular season and only has 3 years where he did not win a postseason game.

Worst SB call in history away from being a SB Champ, too.

He'll be a 1st Ballot HoFer, but unless something changes he'll be more a Phillip Rivers HoFer than a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady HoFer. All Hall of Famers, but there is certainly a bit of unofficial separation there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worst SB call in history away from being a SB Champ, too.

He'll be a 1st Ballot HoFer, but unless something changes he'll be more a Phillip Rivers HoFer than a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady HoFer. All Hall of Famers, but there is certainly a bit of unofficial separation there.

Meh, Wilson was the guy threw the ball into 3 defenders.  Not to sound like the Pete Carroll fan club or anything. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, Wilson was the guy threw the ball into 3 defenders.  Not to sound like the Pete Carroll fan club or anything. 

Sorta fair, but if you have 3 attempts/27 seconds/1 timeout to get a 1 yard TD and you have top form Marshawn Lynch, and you call a pass play? Oof.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sorta fair, but if you have 3 attempts/27 seconds/1 timeout to get a 1 yard TD and you have top form Marshawn Lynch, and you call a pass play? Oof.

Pass play on 2nd down with one of the best QBs in the league and a modern day NFL where looking at a WR funny is a penalty.  Seems like a logical call to me.  Oh well I'm glad the Patriots won because that really upsets Steeler fans.  
Reply/Quote
I think with adding LSU players from that great college squad should also help in Chase, Moss and Shelvin.

Just saw that Thaddeus made the play of the day today in camp and is making a real push for a roster spot, love it. Cool

Burrow is starting to look comfortable out there and throwing into space where he knows his Receiver is going to be.

I doubt Burrow becomes a Vince Young or an RG3, more like Peyton but with more success earlier on in not throwing Ints.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worst SB call in history away from being a SB Champ, too.

He is a SB winner. Won it the previous year over Denver.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 07:19 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: He is a SB winner.  Won it the previous year over Denver.

Beat me to it.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 07:19 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: He is a SB winner.  Won it the previous year over Denver.

You're right. I had completely forgotten. I think the biggest memory in my mind when I think of Seahawks/SB is just that pass and it overrote that. Lol

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: No one is a one man show.

Peyton had James at RB, Marvin Harrison and Dallas Clark with a great coach and front office.

QBs that succeed... Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Manning, etc.. common theme, good owners, and good coaches above all else.
I dont think it is that simple,  the QB touches the ball every offense play, also has the ability to change play set offense, in the end if a QB does not achieve in the level expected it's more blame on them than anyone else. Coach, owners, other players 
Reply/Quote