Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A observation on recent Bengals QBs
Im know Im reaching but here me out.

2010 the Bengals draft Andy Dalton.
2019 the Bengals Ryan Findley.
the reports on Findley is that is Dalton 2.0.
but isnt curious the Bengals front office has passed on QBs in the
draft over the last couple years that have bigger arms and they can really
drive the ball downfield?
is this trend started with a certain intent?
or did Mike Brown sour on Palmer so much that MB just wants
a certain kind of signal caller
Reply/Quote
I doubt we will ever know the truth, but I do believe common belief is that Jay Gruden was the one who talked Mike Brown into drafting Andy Dalton. Ryan Mallllettt is the guy that we think Mike Brown had to be talked out of. Ye gods, praise Jay if that's even close to being true.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  Ryan Mallllettt is the guy that we think Mike Brown had to be talked out of.  Ye gods, praise Jay if that's even close to being true.

No one knows.  It has also been claimed that Mike wanted Kaepernick.  It is nothing but wild speculation.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching but here me out.

When you are only taking QBs in the middle to late rounds all of them are going to be limited in some way.  It has nothing to do with Palmer.

Why the hell would Mioke Brown sour on the type of QB that earns the number one pick in the draft?  That makes no sense at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one knows.  It has also been claimed that Mike wanted Kaepernick.  It is nothing but wild speculation.

There is nothing wild about assuming Mike Brown would have drafted a bust.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching but here me out.

I think you are absolutely reaching. "Driving" the ball down the field does not make you a good QB. One thing Peyton Manning did not do was "drive" the ball down the field. What he did have was absolute accuracy and anticipation which are far more important traits in a QB than this supposed arm strength argument.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you are only taking QBs in the middle to late rounds all of them are going to be limited in some way.  It has nothing to do with Palmer.

Why the hell would Mioke Brown sour on the type of QB that earns the number one pick in the draft?  That makes no sense at all.

Why would he sour on free agency in general, just because he made some bad choices (Bryant, Odom)?

Why would he avoid trading up for 20+ years after Ki-Jana tore his knee?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 05:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I think you are absolutely reaching. "Driving" the ball down the field does not make you a good QB. One thing Peyton Manning did not do was "drive" the ball down the field. What he did have was absolute accuracy and anticipation which are far more important traits in a QB than this supposed arm strength argument.

you can still have accuracy and anticopation with a laser arm.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 05:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: you can still have accuracy and anticopation with a laser arm.

Never said you couldn't so not sure of your point.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why would he sour on free agency in general, just because he made some bad choices (Bryant, Odom)?

So Mike Brown was NOT sour on free agency in general before he signed Odom in 2008?

Hilarious 

That's a good one.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 05:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: you can still have accuracy and anticopation with a laser arm.

But not in the mid to late rounds.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why would he avoid trading up for 20+ years after Ki-Jana tore his knee?

He traded up just 7 years later to draft Matt Schobel.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is nothing wild about assuming Mike Brown would have drafted a bust.

It's like George Costanza...IF every instinct you have is wrong...
Reply/Quote
[Image: eXYtxw.gif]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is nothing wild about assuming Mike Brown would have drafted a bust.

Was Kaepernick a bust?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 08:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So Mike Brown was NOT sour on free agency in general before he signed Odom in 2008?

Hilarious 

That's a good one.

2003 we signed Kevin Hardy, Tory James, John Thornton, Reggie Kelly, Duane Clemons, etc. We signed guys like Lavernues Coles, Antonio Bryant, Odom and more through the 2000's. His willingness to spend in free agency took a nose dive after those signings. It's surprising that someone who acts so knowledgeable would pretend to not know what I'm talking about.

(06-05-2019, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He traded up just 7 years later to draft Matt Schobel.

Sorry. 1 trade up in 20+ years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2003 we signed Kevin Hardy, Tory James, John Thornton, Reggie Kelly, Duane Clemons, etc. We signed guys like Lavernues Coles, Antonio Bryant, Odom and more through the 2000's. His willingness to spend in free agency took a nose dive after those signings. It's surprising that someone who acts so knowledgeable would pretend to not know what I'm talking about.

He rebuilt the defense in 2011 by signing three starters in free agency.  That was after Odom, Coles, and Bryant.

Look, this entire discussion is ridiculous.  There is NO PROOF that Mike Brown has soured on QBs with talent like Palmer had.  That claim is absurd.  What QB with Palmers skills have been available when we have drafted a QB since then?  None.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He rebuilt the defense in 2011 by signing three starters in free agency.  That was after Odom, Coles, and Bryant.

Look, this entire discussion is ridiculous.  There is NO PROOF that Mike Brown has soured on QBs with talent like Palmer had.  That claim is absurd.  What QB with Palmers skills have been available when we have drafted a QB since then?  None.

Kinda feels like you're taking this discussion 1000x too seriously. Not everything is life or death on here Fred.

For me this is just something goofy to ponder. Mike is a dumb GM and notoriously stubborn, so I wouldn't say anything is out of the question. 

But for the record, since this is such a serious matter, I doubt Mike has avoided big armed QB's "cuz Palmer".
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kinda feels like you're taking this discussion 1000x too seriously. Not everything is life or death on here Fred.

For me this is just something goofy to ponder. Mike is a dumb GM and notoriously stubborn, so I wouldn't say anything is out of the question. 

But for the record, since this is such a serious matter, I doubt Mike has avoided big armed QB's "cuz Palmer".

Im know Im reaching. I made no secret of it.
but I do know this franchise has passed on QBs that can smoke the ball downfield in favor of QBs with less arm strength that rely on anticipation and precision
and 
Reply/Quote
AJ Green went on record during his rookie or second season stating he was told upon being drafted that we would be taking a QB in round 2 and they wanted his input on who it should be. He stated his response was Dalton.
Reply/Quote