Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A observation on recent Bengals QBs
(06-07-2019, 11:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What IF Mike Brown was some great GM but the team voted on draft picks and people always voted against his picks?

The smartest guy in the room would likely have different opinions from the others in the room.

If the smartest guy was always out voted but then had to be the one assumed to have made the poor decisions, then Mike could be misunderstood under your scenario.

Maybe Mike really is a hidden Genius and a chip of the old block Paul.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 09:06 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Keeping politics out of this id say no he was a second round pick that almost won a super bowl. I wouldn’t say he overachieved but it’s hard to call him a bust based on where and when he went. His career flamed out for off the field issues i personally don’t agree with a lot of his views but he shouldn’t have been blackballed by the league. He did it to himself though became too much of a distraction

He got benched for Blaine Gabbert in 2015. It was more than just off-field issues. Teams will sign anyone if they're talented enough to outweigh the risk. Kaep got figured out. He could only read one half of the field and didn't have any touch on his throws. His former coordinator (and others) pointed out these flaws. Would he still be in the league if the off-field stuff didn't happen? Probably, but there was more to the fall of Kaepernick than falling to his knee.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 11:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He got benched for Blaine Gabbert in 2015. It was more than just off-field issues. Teams will sign anyone if they're talented enough to outweigh the risk. Kaep got figured out. He could only read one half of the field and didn't have any touch on his throws. His former coordinator (and others) pointed out these flaws. Would he still be in the league if the off-field stuff didn't happen? Probably, but there was more to the fall of Kaepernick than falling to his knee.

He was a product of a loaded 49ers team too. Once their talent left, he was exposed.
Reply/Quote
Kaep's last season ('16) he started 12 games and posted a 90.7 passer rating with the worst receiving corps in the league.

In 6 postseason games he averaged over 300 yards of total offense per game (229 pass, 85 rush) and was responsible for 11 tds (7 pass, 4 rush).  He averaged 8.5 yards per pass attempt and 9.9 yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Mike (or whoever) really has a type outside of trying to get players of groups that compliment each other. I think Mike has always believed the team is one lucky break away from winning, so you try to find guys who maintain success rather than breaking everything down to find a type of player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kaep's last season ('16) he started 12 games and posted a 90.7 passer rating with the worst receiving corps in the league.

In 6 postseason games he averaged over 300 yards of total offense per game (229 pass, 85 rush) and was responsible for 11 tds (7 pass, 4 rush).  He averaged 8.5 yards per pass attempt and 9.9 yards per carry.

Blake Bortles once threw for 4,428 yards and 35 TD's. Bad QB's can post big stats in bad seasons. The Jags went 5-11 and were often trailing, which helps artificially inflate passing numbers. Kaep got benched for Blaine Gabbert for a reason. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There was a real interest in Christian Ponder. I feel that he was the first choice of the Bengals, but the hope was that he would be there in the second round.

But he went high first.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 01:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I thought they talked to him at the draft...   Of the QBs left who do you want them to take...

ill have to go look it up

That's basically what I remember...

(06-06-2019, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown really wanted Mallett but Jay Gruden convinced him to take Dalton instead IIRC.
In hindsight, it was a very good decision.

That could've been why they asked AJ.  Looking for more ways to sway the old man...
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching but here me out.

2010 the Bengals draft Andy Dalton.
2019 the Bengals Ryan Findley.
the reports on Findley is that is Dalton 2.0.
but isnt curious the Bengals front office has passed on QBs in the
draft over the last couple years that have bigger arms and they can really
drive the ball downfield?
is this trend started with a certain intent?
or did Mike Brown sour on Palmer so much that MB just wants
a certain kind of signal caller

You know I really don't think Finley is in the Bengals plans as a starting QB no matter what the media might say.

For Finley to get on the field it will come in a blowout game or if Dalton misses a game.

If the Bengals decide to move on from Dalton then they'll take a QB high.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 09:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You know I really don't think Finley is in the Bengals plans as a starting QB no matter what the media might say.

For Finley to get on the field it will come in a blowout game or if Dalton misses a game.

If the Bengals decide to move on from Dalton then they'll take a QB high.

No doubt.

Finley is here to develop into a backup. Chances of him being Dalton's heir are probably about 2% and that's if he really develops A LOT. Odds are against it.
Reply/Quote
i can buy into that..Findley was drafted to be a backup.
but why use a 3rd or 4th RD draft pick on a QB whos ceiling is a backup?
if thats the case Id rather have seen the Bengals
take a LB or CB.
not really smart on Tobins part if thats whats they are projecting
him to be behind the scenes
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 11:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: i can buy into that..Findley was drafted to be a backup.
but why use a  3rd or 4th RD draft pick on a QB whos ceiling is a backup?
if thats the case Id rather have seen the Bengals
take a LB or CB.
not really smart on Tobins part if thats whats they are projecting
him to be behind the scenes

Why NOT use a 4th round pick on a back up QB?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching but here me out.

2010 the Bengals draft Andy Dalton.
2019 the Bengals Ryan Findley.
the reports on Findley is that is Dalton 2.0.
but isnt curious the Bengals front office has passed on QBs in the
draft over the last couple years that have bigger arms and they can really
drive the ball downfield?
is this trend started with a certain intent?
or did Mike Brown sour on Palmer so much that MB just wants
a certain kind of signal caller

I believe findley was drafted as he came from a system similar to what the rams ran... I heard hes a poor mans Geoff not an andy Dalton 2.0

He's insurance incase they want to move on from Dalton after the end of the year.   (but likely will never be the starter baring injury)
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why NOT use a 4th round pick on a back up QB?

well....um....well....let....me....think...umm
how about because you can spend that 4th RD pick on a player
who might be a game day contributor on the field this season.
instead of holding a clipboard.
yeah yeah thats it.
if your scouts and evaluators are convinced that the successor 
to Dalton isnt in THIS draft.....
then why draft him in the top 132 players.?
wait till RD 7 or sign a UDFA.
YEAH THATS THE TICKET
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: well....um....well....let....me....think...umm
how about because you can spend that 4th RD pick on a player
who might be a game day contributor on the field this season.
instead of holding a clipboard.
yeah yeah thats it.
if your scouts and evaluators are convinced that the successor 
to Dalton isnt in THIS draft.....
then why draft him in the top 132 players.?
wait till RD 7 or sign a UDFA.
YEAH THATS THE TICKET

if your QB goes down do you want to hand the reigns to a UDFA?  we got to watch that last year was really ugly.

you draft them in the 4th cause they fit want you want to do. and they likely wont be there in the 5th
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 12:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if your QB goes down do you want to hand the reigns to a UDFA?  we got to watch that last year was really ugly.

you draft them in the 4th cause they fit want you want to do. and they likely wont be there in the 5th

Yep. The amount of QB's that make it through a year uninjured is pretty small too.

4th Round picks odds of panning out are small anyways. It's not like you're passing up a sure thing.
Reply/Quote
With most teams starting a backup QB usually means something has gone terribly wrong with very few exceptions. It's really a luxury to have a capable backup who can still win in the league.
The Bengals seem to pin everything on Andy. If he goes down it's more or less sending up the white flag.. I guess they no longer believe in "luxury QB backups".. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:36 PM)grampahol Wrote: With most teams starting a backup QB usually means something has gone terribly wrong with very few exceptions. It's really a luxury to have a capable backup who can still win in the league.
The Bengals seem to pin everything on Andy. If he goes down it's more or less sending up the white flag.. I guess they no longer believe in "luxury QB backups".. 

Lets face it too...A 4th Round backup QB is cost controlled for what 4 years. Good backups cost millions in free agency.
Reply/Quote