Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A observation on recent Bengals QBs
(06-05-2019, 10:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching. I made no secret of it.
but I do know this franchise has passed on QBs that can smoke the ball downfield in favor of QBs with less arm strength that rely on anticipation and precision
and 

I think it was reported that Finley worked out for the Bengals and ZT before the draft.

I doubt they would have taken a QB before the 4th Round so Finley seemed to fit that bill.
Reply/Quote
I could buy into the theory that they have stayed away from first round QB’s since Palmer, but I don’t think it is because of him as much as it is the many QB busts in the first rounds over the years.

You could also sell me that Mikey targets a certain personality type in QB’s since the Palmer thing went south.
Reply/Quote
Ryan Mallet had all kinds of alleged substance abuse rumors and supposedly that's who Mike Brown wanted. I think you all are reading WAY too much into this all.
Reply/Quote
But the Bengals almost didn’t get Dalton in round two. And not because another team was close to leap-frogging them. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Brown wanted Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett instead of Dalton. Schefter says that offensive coordinator Jay Gruden was “instrumental” in selling Brown on Dalton.

It’s no surprise that Brown wanted Mallett. Like the Bengals have done so many other times, they were drawn to first-round prospects who plummeted for reasons unrelated to their on-field abilities.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/report-mike-brown-wanted-ryan-mallett-not-andy-dalton/
Reply/Quote
Mallet was an incredible college QB. Sooo much wasted talent. He's made a couple of throws i have yet to see matched. A shame, really.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im know Im reaching but here me out.

2010 the Bengals draft Andy Dalton.
2019 the Bengals Ryan Findley.
the reports on Findley is that is Dalton 2.0.
but isnt curious the Bengals front office has passed on QBs in the
draft over the last couple years that have bigger arms and they can really
drive the ball downfield?

is this trend started with a certain intent?
or did Mike Brown sour on Palmer so much that MB just wants
a certain kind of signal caller

Which QBs in particular are you referring?

With a lot of these QBs with big arms, they struggle with accuracy more than a guy like Dalton.

Depending on the offensive style, you don't need a QB who can hurl it 40+ yards if the offense is more WCO. You need a guy who can get the ball out fast and be very accurate in short and intermediate routes. Dalton has that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: AJ Green went on record during his rookie or second season stating he was told upon being drafted that we would be taking a QB in round 2 and they wanted his input on who it should be.  He stated his response was Dalton.

I thought they talked to him at the draft...   Of the QBs left who do you want them to take...

ill have to go look it up
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 07:51 AM)SladeX Wrote: Mallet was an incredible college QB. Sooo much wasted talent. He's made a couple of throws i have yet to see matched. A shame, really.

Mike Brown really wanted Mallett but Jay Gruden convinced him to take Dalton instead IIRC.
In hindsight, it was a very good decision.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mallett has -5 rushing yards for his career. There goes picking him up to run the option!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:38 PM)HuDey Wrote: I could buy into the theory that they have stayed away from first round QB’s since Palmer, but I don’t think it is because of him as much as it is the many QB busts in the first rounds over the years.

You could also sell me that Mikey targets a certain personality type in QB’s since the Palmer thing went south.

There are 1st round QB's and there are a few #1 overall pick 1st round QB's. The point being most overall 1st round QB's have become pretty good. Palmer was very good, then Steeler's cheap shot on his knee and he became just good.

Looking back on Palmer, I think MB was correct (Palmer was not great anymore but got paid a ton of money) and Palmer was right, he was the scape goat due to his draft position and high contract. Palmer got frustrated and wanted out, MB got pissed because ehe paid him big bucks and was upset of his lack of loyalty.

Having said all that, we have not had 1 #1 overall pick since Palmer, we had a 4th and took AJ Green. Bengals have not really been in a position to grab a top guy due to draft position since CP. That and AD stepped in nicely year one and has been solid. Some may argue, but AD won games and in many ways is a better QB than Palmer post injury.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Was Kaepernick a bust?

In the sense that mentioning his name can get a thread locked I would say maybe?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is nothing wild about assuming Mike Brown would have drafted a bust.

Don't have a source because I heard this a long time ago and wasn't trying to establish the veracity of the report, but I heard that Mike Brown wanted Drew Brees in 2001 and was voted down in favor of Justin Smith.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 11:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But the Bengals almost didn’t get Dalton in round two.  And not because another team was close to leap-frogging them.  Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Brown wanted Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett instead of Dalton.  Schefter says that offensive coordinator Jay Gruden was “instrumental” in selling Brown on Dalton.

It’s no surprise that Brown wanted Mallett.  Like the Bengals have done so many other times, they were drawn to first-round prospects who plummeted for reasons unrelated to their on-field abilities.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/report-mike-brown-wanted-ryan-mallett-not-andy-dalton/

Jay wanted Dalton so badly that he wanted to trade into the 1st round to get him. Mike refused.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 03:17 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't have a source because I heard this a long time ago and wasn't trying to establish the veracity of the report, but I heard that Mike Brown wanted Drew Brees in 2001 and was voted down in favor of Justin Smith.

Who was there to vote him down? 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He rebuilt the defense in 2011 by signing three starters in free agency.  That was after Odom, Coles, and Bryant.

Look, this entire discussion is ridiculous.  There is NO PROOF that Mike Brown has soured on QBs with talent like Palmer had.  That claim is absurd.  What QB with Palmers skills have been available when we have drafted a QB since then?  None.

I think a case could be made for Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock in just this year's draft. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think a case could be made for Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock in just this year's draft. 

I think the case could be in most years a QB in round one available may be worthy of a pick, but it is a risk and also you miss out on a guy like Williams this year.

I liked Lock more than Haskins, but that is me. But, not at pick #11 for us. I think we will very happy with the Williams pick for many years to come. Haskins and Lock may work out, but QB's are more than just arm strength, it is the brains to read defenses that separate those who become starters.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 06:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the case could be in most years a QB in round one available may be worthy of a pick, but it is a risk and also you miss out on a guy like Williams this year.

I liked Lock more than Haskins, but that is me. But, not at pick #11 for us. I think we will very happy with the Williams pick for many years to come. Haskins and Lock may work out, but QB's are more than just arm strength, it is the brains to read defenses that separate those who become starters.

Of course we could have had Lock in the 2nd. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Was Kaepernick a bust?

Keeping politics out of this id say no he was a second round pick that almost won a super bowl. I wouldn’t say he overachieved but it’s hard to call him a bust based on where and when he went. His career flamed out for off the field issues i personally don’t agree with a lot of his views but he shouldn’t have been blackballed by the league. He did it to himself though became too much of a distraction
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 06:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who was there to vote him down? 

Maybe he has a split personality?

Drew Brees was a 2nd Round pick. We took Justin Smith high in the 1st. Seems we could have traded into the 1st Round again to take Brees if we wanted him.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 06:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who was there to vote him down? 

What IF Mike Brown was some great GM but the team voted on draft picks and people always voted against his picks?
Reply/Quote