Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A positive for the Bengals' remaining schedule
(11-06-2021, 12:38 PM)TheFan Wrote: The Ravens have no 3 game road trips the entire season...? 

People who think it doesn't matter playing that many games straight on the road haven't looked at the stats. 

Between 2007-2017 teams playing their 3rd straight road game only win 33% of the time (35-69 overall). 

Compare that to the typical about 45% chance for a typical road game. That's a really big difference what that 3rd straight road game means. 

and few teams have 5 games out of six at home either.. other teams also don;t have 3 away games  so again i don;t see the great difference that you do.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 03:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and few teams have 5 games out of six at home either.. other teams also don;t have 3 away games  so again i don;t see the great difference that you do.. 

You can not see a difference all you want but the Ravens having 4 straight home games is really weird. I didn't even know of this article before bringing it up but having that many weeks straight at home is super rare in combination with never having more then 2 weeks straight on the road. 

"Last year's schedule produced some oddities that are usually avoided, like the five teams that played three straight road games and the 10 teams that had three straight home contests. This season, the quirkiest schedule belongs to the Baltimore Ravens, who play four games in a row at home beginning in Week 5 and have a bye week in between. After an Oct. 3 tilt in Denver, the Ravens will sleep in their own beds until they leave for a Nov. 11 game in Miami"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/2021-nfl-schedule-release-six-key-takeaways-plus-games-to-watch
Reply/Quote
Yeah I saw someone mention recently that we only have one road game against a winning team left?

Tbh, I think the hard part of the schedule is behind us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 08:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I saw someone mention recently that we only have one road game against a winning team left?

Tbh, I think the hard part of the schedule is behind us.

Would you be ok with heading into the bye week at 5-4?

Steelers are prob gonna beat the bears, so they’ll be 5-3

If browns win, they’re 5-4

Ravens will beat the Vikings so that makes them 6-2

So would you still be confident that cincy can make the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 08:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Would you be ok with heading into the bye week at 5-4?

My expectation this year was that the Bengals would be around .500.
It's rare to go from 4.5 wins to playoffs the very next season.
Playoffs should probably be more of an expectation next year, not this year.

Look at the Cardinals for a good sign of what to expect:
2018: 3-13
2019: 5-10-1
2020: 8-8
2021: currently 7-1

Bengals' 2019 and 2020 basically follows the Cardinals' 2018 and 2019 minus 1 win each season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 09:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My expectation this year was that the Bengals would be around .500.
It's rare to go from 4.5 wins to playoffs the very next season.
Playoffs should probably be more of an expectation next year, not this year.

Look at the Cardinals for a good sign of what to expect:
2018: 3-13
2019: 5-10-1
2020: 8-8
2021: currently 7-1

Bengals' 2019 and 2020 basically follows the Cardinals' 2018 and 2019 minus 1 win each season.
Idk man. With how well the team has played overall this season, missing the playoffs would be a massive let down.

Our losses have all been 3 points or less, and the afc is weak and wide open this year
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 02:11 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk man. With how well the team has played overall this season, missing the playoffs would be a massive let down.

Our losses have all been 3 points or less, and the afc is weak and wide open this year

But going into the season, no one (should have) expected playoffs.
Getting to the playoffs would just be a bonus.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 08:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Would you be ok with heading into the bye week at 5-4?

Well, I don't think we lose this week, but if we do, and all the division teams win (which I don't think is a given), then yeah I guess I'd be a little worried about our playoff possibilities.

I'm not really sold on the Steelers though. Who have they beaten? They're barely scraping by bad teams. Not sold on the Browns, either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 02:53 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, I don't think we lose this week, but if we do, and all the division teams win (which I don't think is a given), then yeah I guess I'd be a little worried about our playoff possibilities.

I'm not really sold on the Steelers though. Who have they beaten? They're barely scraping by bad teams. Not sold on the Browns, either.

The Bills…

I’m also not really sold on them either though. Good defense, and good running game, but they have the worst QB in the division. By far. I could see a repeat of last year where Ben gets worse the later in the season it gets.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 08:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Would you be ok with heading into the bye week at 5-4?

Browns have a brutal schedule coming up, and a QB who is on his last leg and I expect will only play a couple of more games, if that. I'd have to look at the rest of the Ravens schedule, but I remember looking at Pissburgh's and thinking there is a good chance they lose the last 6. Not to mention, Fat Jen is now whining about his shoulder.  For the playoff picture, I think it's going to come down to the last couple of games and there will be a bunch of swapping around between now and then. Moving the Chains predicted AFCN teams would need 10 wins to get in. I think it's totally doable.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 02:11 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk man. With how well the team has played overall this season, missing the playoffs would be a massive let down.

Yep. Expectations change as the season goes on. When you're sitting at 5-2 and your schedule doesn't look as daunting as it did before the season, you expect more, especially when the team is healthy.

5-4 would be dissapointing right now, whereas it wasn't as much 2 weeks ago, thinking that they would have lost to the Ravens then beaten the Jets with the Browns game being 50/50. 5-4 at that time seemed "ok". After the Ravens game and with how beat up the Browns are now, 5-4 seems like a huge let down.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 11:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. Expectations change as the season goes on. When you're sitting at 5-2 and your schedule doesn't look as daunting as it did before the season, you expect more, especially when the team is healthy.

5-4 would be dissapointing right now, whereas it wasn't as much 2 weeks ago, thinking that they would have lost to the Ravens then beaten the Jets with the Browns game being 50/50. 5-4 at that time seemed "ok". After the Ravens game and with how beat up the Browns are now, 5-4 seems like a huge let down.

People's mindset shifted after the Ravens win.
Probably a little premature.

Bengals have the ability to beat any team, but they also aren't consistent enough yet.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote