Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A positive thread...
(03-09-2017, 11:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: You know..funny thing is that when teams I root for and who win big always seem to lose out on a few players i thought were key. 
One thing we no longer have to worry about is Whit getting too old on us. Now he's the Rams problem down the road. Right at this moment that looks bad for us, but his best years WERE with this team regardless of whether he has a great season or two left..
I don't know how Ced will turn out, but I hope he turns out even better than advertised. I dropped my crystal ball and threw it away. 
I'm not one to root for any of our players to have bad seasons. I read that from time to time where someone will hope certain players wash out . I hope ALL OF OUR players go to the HOF.. That's not going to happen, but it's what I hope for. 

Honestly, I think Whitworth's play is going to fall off a cliff soon. He was the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL...and there's a reason for that.

idk...it sucks. It's never fun when a teams run comes to an end.
Reply/Quote
1) Draft a DE and a LB with the first two picks (possibly a speed receiver if he's BPA) Then, get 3-4 OL in the lower rounds, and maybe. just maybe; a couple of them will pan out. Grab Mixon in whatever round you have to go to get him in.
2) Pick up a G or T in free agency after they have been picked over. (it's the best we can hope for)
3)Cut Pacman, I would have said grab Micah Hyde, but the Bills already done that.Oh yeah, if Packer's backup C JC Tretter is still available, pay the man!

The obvious ones I agree with are fire the coach and the staff, but not just yet...I had a horrible daydream earlier that I was meeting our NEW Coach...Welcome to the Bengals Jeff Fisher!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He graded out by PFF somewhere in the 50's from this past season.

The disappointing thing for me about him is he took basically 3 seasons to become a starter...started 2 years and signs a huge contract.

So fred was full of crap about Dre's rankings? Shocking. Mellow

Agree.  I would have let him go too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just wish they would take Willie Anderson up on his offer. He says he sees talent in Ced, and can coach him up. If I saw Big Willie in training camp coaching Ced, I'd feel a little better about things.

Next, call another former Bengals in Rich Braham and have him teach Bodine how the hell to be a Center.

While we are out it, sign D.J. Fluker, who doesn't alter the precious comp picks at all since he was cut and at least gives you a guy on the o-line with some experience.

If they'd do those three things, I'd feel much more comfortable with things.

P.S. Also glad LaFell and Dre K are back. LaFell seemed to develop some chemistry with Dalton and Dre K is the only proven we have, Pacman may be suspended and should be cut. Dennard...is who knows, same with Jackson III and Shaw has potential.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Only the Bengals would let the best 2 pieces of a shitty offensive line walk.  I'm with you, Eff 'em.

I like Whit as much as the next guy, but he's old. His drop off could come quick. I'm not sure Zeitler is better than Boling. If he is, he's not worth what the Browns just gave him. You can't be mad at the team not overpaying for an aging LT, and a pretty good G...

Besides... They will need to save that money to re up Nick Vigil soon. He will surely command the most lucrative contract in NFL history.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:14 AM)jason Wrote: I like Whit as much as the next guy, but he's old. His drop off could come quick.  I'm not sure Zeitler is better than Boling.  If he is, he's not worth what the Browns just gave him. You can't be mad at the team not overpaying for an aging LT, and a pretty good G...

Besides...  They will need to save that money to re up Nick Vigil soon.  He will surely command the most lucrative contract in NFL history.

All vitriol aside.....all they had to do was extend these guys like they say they do before the bidding got out of hand....and this would be a moot point.  Instead....as usual....they tried to cheap out and got burnt.

Reply/Quote
Im not throwing in the towel yet but they damn well better snag a couple offensive lineman (T) , © in free agency or the draft or Dalton will be mincemeat
Reply/Quote
Let's all just hope Eifert stays healthy and Burfict keeps himself in shape this off-season.
Reply/Quote
The offense is FUBAR -- but the defense needs linebackers, a free safety, and a run stuffer. I'm all for going defense in the first round and getting OSU's Malik Hooker might be a good start to the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: All vitriol aside.....all they had to do was extend these guys like they say they do before the bidding got out of hand....and this would be a moot point.  Instead....as usual....they tried to cheap out and got burnt.

Extensions are key as when they hit free agency they are out of our price range.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Only the Bengals would let the best 2 pieces of a shitty offensive line walk.  

Isn't that kinda like saying the smartest guy in a group home is still ********?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Extensions are key as when they hit free agency they are out of our price range.

EXACTLY.....and WTF is all this rollover money for if we're not extending these guys?

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:30 AM)Beaker Wrote: Isn't that kinda like saying the smartest guy in a group home is still ********?

Maybe I should have said the 2 least shitty pieces of a shitty offensive line walk?  Oh hell, I'm soused and drowning my sorrows.  Pay me no mind.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:30 AM)Beaker Wrote: Isn't that kinda like saying the smartest guy in a group home is still ********?

Let's try this instead. Last year, we gave up 41 sacks. Whit and Z combined for 3 of those. The other 38 are still on this team. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:20 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Let's try this instead. Last year, we gave up 41 sacks. Whit and Z combined for 3 of those. The other 38 are still on this team. 

^This^ .... and a reality yet to play out is the time it will take for the new Oline to gel, develop some chemistry while learning the playbook, responding to coaching etc. It will take the first half of the season before it plays like a unit IF we're lucky. It's going to be a long row to hoe as I see it.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing a trade with AJ McCarron to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson. That trade could work out for us, and may open up the draft a bit more.
Reply/Quote
I will actually take part in this positive thread in a serious type of way...well at least I'm going to give it a shot at being serious.

While I am upset about losing Z, there is a few options on the team for a RG replacement and one of them, I had high hopes for when they got him. Trey Hopkins the 6'3" 310 lber out of Texas. A two-time All-Big 12 selection at Texas, he had starts at both G and OT.

Maybe this guy develops into a mauler at RG and helps us all get over the loss of Z a little..... maybe...

I'm seriously trying to be positive....

trying...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 11:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit that the negativity is a bit overwhelming right now. I fully understand where people are coming from, and I've participated in the venting some myself. That said, I think it'd be nice to get some actual discussion going that isn't just venting or complaining. So...even though our already bad o-line got substantially worse today, I do like that (a) we retained LaFell and Kirkpatrick and (b) the o-line is still the only massive problem with this team, player-wise.

Having those two on board not only opens up the draft some, but should also enable the team to part with Pacman. So since we know what our main problem is, name 3 things you think the Bengals could do to get this team back in the playoff hunt. It could be free agents or maybe you have your eye on some particular guys in the draft.

So what can we do to fix this team for 2017?

Shake, I'll give it my best shot at being a little optimistic after today's free agency beat down the Bengals took.

First of all the Bengals will not sign any free agents from another team unless they were cut. Mikey wants comp picks and he's hoping for two 3rd round picks, but given the size of contracts this year I'm starting to think that we'll be looking at maybe only one 3rd rounder next year.

I view this year's free agent activity by Mikey Brown as confirmation that the team is simply purging it's top $ guys while it collects picks for another rebuild. With $40M in cap space and another $9M that could be had by cutting dead weight and trouble spots, Mikey Brown pleads poverty. Not even offering Zeitler a contract is a classic Mikey Brown insult. So sad.

Of the players currently under contract there are only 19 who have contracts that extend through 2019, so look at this year and next year's drafts as those which will be our future team. We now know that Model model was another Mikey Brown empty promise and we blow chunks in free agency. So I look at this year's draft as the key to this year and the next few years.

As for what we can do for this year:

1. Sign Mangold for depth and to push/help Bodine and Westerman.

2. In the draft, take best player available all the way down regardless of position and not pet project picks. I know this is easy to say and harder to execute when you have needs, but I'd be drafting with the idea that I want each pick to become a starter within the next 2 years. I know that's unreal, but if we draft the guys who are most ready to start we'll be better off in 2018 and 2019.

That's all I have. I could list a bunch of good ideas that Mikey Brown will never do but why give it the effort when Mikey sure ain't.

Reply/Quote
The good news is we did plan for life after Whit with Ogbuehi and Fisher but the bad news is neither have looked promising at this point. Their careers are still fresh enough though that it wouldn't be unheard of for one or both of them to at least turn into a servicable starter.
Reply/Quote
I think they should pursue a center in free agency like mangold and bring in Connor barwin as a rusher, I can see him having some success here. I think that will make some fans happy. Then go grab another ot somewhere in the draft to groom up in the 2nd round maybe. It's just going to take time to feel better about this team. It's a shame us fans have to go through this all the time. We deserve so much more. We deserve a ring.
Reply/Quote