Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A positive today (for me)
I have been reeling a little bit on Burrow over a good part of this year. Even though he's made some good plays at times I've still put a good part of various losses on him due to the mistakes he's made throughout the season.

Anyone who read the thread comparing him to Brady knows what I'm talking about.

Today he changed my mind a bit. I think this was one of the better games Joe has played. If not for ZT going soft I think he completes the comeback and this would have been a game we looked back on for a long time for both Joe Burrow and possibly this team.

Some of the throws he made today were incredible and thats while being bombarded on basically every drop back. In the next year or two once (hopefully) we get the line revamped we're going to be really freaking good if we get anything like today's Burrow.

Today really really sucks. But I think we're still about where most of us expected this year to be, even if our expectations changed a bit given how we started. A game like today makes me think year 3, 4, and 5 with Burrow are going to be some of our best.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:48 PM)TheFan Wrote: I have been reeling a little bit on Burrow over a good part of this year. Even though he's made some good plays at times I've still put a good part of various losses on him due to the mistakes he's made throughout the season.

Today he changed my mind a bit. I think this was one of the better games Joe has played.  If not for ZT going soft I think he completes the comeback and this would have been a game we looked back on for a long time for both Joe Burrow and possibly this team.

Some of the throws he made today were incredible and thats while being bombarded on basically every drop back. In the next year or two once (hopefully) we get the line revamped we're going to be really freaking good if we get anything like today's Burrow.

Today really really sucks. But I think we're still about where most of us expected this year to be, even if our expectations changed a bit given how we started. A game like today makes me think year 3, 4, and 5 with Burrow are going to be some of our best.
Sadly this is not a legitimate NFL caliber franchise it is the Bengals. They either have to arrive and make it immediately or they never will. Not quitting is irrelevant and "wait till next year" is the battle cry of people and groups who are failures. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:48 PM)TheFan Wrote: I have been reeling a little bit on Burrow over a good part of this year. Even though he's made some good plays at times I've still put a good part of various losses on him due to the mistakes he's made throughout the season.

Today he changed my mind a bit. I think this was one of the better games Joe has played.  If not for ZT going soft I think he completes the comeback and this would have been a game we looked back on for a long time for both Joe Burrow and possibly this team.

Burrow has yet to win a game after being behind in the 4th so he is NO BRADY at this point at all.... he had a great 4th but really he struggled overall until the 4th, could have 2 to 3 Ints..started out blah.. I understand blaming ZT also but when we have success in 4th quarter it is not just our QB... in the end both the coaching and Burrow have to play more consistent, we stink in the 1st quarter including Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
Was ZT fired ?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Was ZT fired ?

Wake up, you're daydreaming!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow has yet to win a game after being behind in the 4th so he is NO BRADY at this point at all.... he had a great 4th but really he struggled overall until the 4th, could have 2 to 3 Ints..started out blah.. I understand blaming ZT also but when we have success in 4th quarter it is not just our QB... in the end both the coaching and Burrow have to play more consistent, we stink in the 1st quarter including Burrow. 

Clearly you didn't read my posts in the thread comparing Burrow to Brady because I was basically arguing the same thing. 

Saying he was the reason we struggled because we didn't score most of our points until the 4th is not indicative of how the game actually played out. 

We only had 4 drives in the first half and scored on 2 of them. Our first drive died because Chase, once again, dropped an easy first down conversion so it's hard to blame Burrow for that. Burrow did have 1 bad throw that should have been an int but the other, if not for Chase getting hit in the face and slowed down, probably is a complete pass if there's not penalty. 

In the second half we have 5 possessions, scored on 2, missed a fg on 1, and did 3 hand offs then a punt on another one of them. I haven't rewatched the game but I'm hard pressed to remember more then maybe 2 throws Burrow missed today and can recall a number of times when he made great throws. 

There's little doubt in my mind that if we played to win in OT that we would have scored a touchdown. That obviously means nothing but Burrow was by far the most productive part of our offense today despite the handicaps placed on him. 
Reply/Quote
It’s his 2nd year and 1st full year. He’s going to have plays, moments, and games that make us feel like he’s a franchise QB and our future.

He will also have plays, moments and games that make us feel like he’s Andy Dalton.

He isn’t a finished product. He’s going to get better. The team is learning. They come out flat and get in a hole, they will lose. They don’t play disciplined football and make mistakes after tge play? It cost them a touchdown.

There will be players not here next year, but the core players that stay are learning hard lessons when it comes to play off football.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow has yet to win a game after being behind in the 4th so he is NO BRADY at this point at all.... he had a great 4th but really he struggled overall until the 4th, could have 2 to 3 Ints..started out blah.. I understand blaming ZT also but when we have success in 4th quarter it is not just our QB... in the end both the coaching and Burrow have to play more consistent, we stink in the 1st quarter including Burrow. 

He would have won today and ZT took it out of his hands in OT.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:49 PM)TheFan Wrote: Clearly you didn't read my posts in the thread comparing Burrow to Brady because I was basically arguing the same thing. 

Saying he was the reason we struggled because we didn't score most of our points until the 4th is not indicative of how the game actually played out. 

We only had 4 drives in the first half and scored on 2 of them. Our first drive died because Chase, once again, dropped an easy first down conversion so it's hard to blame Burrow for that. Burrow did have 1 bad throw that should have been an int but the other, if not for Chase getting hit in the face and slowed down, probably is a complete pass if there's not penalty. 

In the second half we have 5 possessions, scored on 2, missed a fg on 1, and did 3 hand offs then a punt on another one of them. I haven't rewatched the game but I'm hard pressed to remember more then maybe 2 throws Burrow missed today and can recall a number of times when he made great throws. 

There's little doubt in my mind that if we played to win in OT that we would have scored a touchdown. That obviously means nothing but Burrow was by far the most productive part of our offense today despite the handicaps placed on him. 

Ok missed that on Brady but we i totally disagree about this misconception playing to win.. the idea that you can move the ball inside the red zone like outside is football 101 nope... we were bad in the red zone all game.... pass or run.. it the end we have to start better in game since we are leaving zero margin of error late... Taylor and Burrow have not been able to start well in 1st and being so behind in 4th.. they have zero comebacks in 4th...
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Was ZT fired ?

You must remain bullish with this thinking.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:51 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It’s his 2nd year and 1st full year. He’s going to have plays, moments, and games that make us feel like he’s a franchise QB and our future.

He will also have plays, moments and games that make us feel like he’s Andy Dalton.

He isn’t a finished product. He’s going to get better. The team is learning. They come out flat and get in a hole, they will lose. They don’t play disciplined football and make mistakes after tge play? It cost them a touchdown.

There will be players not here next year, but the core players that stay are learning hard lessons when it comes to play off football.

Much as I hate to say it if you compare same points in careers Dalton is so far better than Burrow - he actually has 4th quarter game winning drives to his name in his first 1-2 seasons. 

As to the whole "learning" angle and the fantasy of playoff football, remember what team this is. They have to arrive NOW. Wait till next year is not only the refrain of the loser it is really inappropriate for the Bengals since they are the personification of the idea that "tomorrow never comes". 
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is a winner, he’s got this team to where it is right now , get him a better o line.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: Much as I hate to say it if you compare same points in careers Dalton is so far better than Burrow - he actually has 4th quarter game winning drives to his name in his first 1-2 seasons. 

As to the whole "learning" angle and the fantasy of playoff football, remember what team this is. They have to arrive NOW. Wait till next year is not only the refrain of the loser it is really inappropriate for the Bengals since they are the personification of the idea that "tomorrow never comes". 

How is Dalton better than Burrow through their first two seasons? Enlighten me.
Reply/Quote
I already did - 4th quarter game winning drives. Andy actually had some. That doesn't mean Burrow is trash or such but being able to seal the deal late in the fourth is a metric of the true elite QBs.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ok missed that on Brady but we i totally disagree about this misconception playing to win.. the idea that you can move the ball inside the red zone like outside is football 101 nope... we were bad in the red zone all game.... pass or run.. it the end we have to start better in game since we are leaving zero margin of error late... Taylor and Burrow have not been able to start well in 1st and being so behind in 4th.. they have zero comebacks in 4th...

It's certainly possible we don't. But I'd rather have Burrow throwing the ball which was tearing the 49ers up the last quarter and a half vs running twice, basically asking for just a FG. 

Totally agree we have to start better but I think part of the reason we struggle is our Oline sucks and we try to establish the run. Outside of playing the Steelers our run game is usually awful in the first half but we lose half our downs getting -2 to 3 yards. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: I already did - 4th quarter game winning drives. Andy actually had some. That doesn't mean Burrow is trash or such but being able to seal the deal late in the fourth is a metric of the true elite QBs.

Well, Burrow has two so insinuating that Burrow doesn’t have any is flat out incorrect - not like I expect anything better from you. If that’s your metric for defining better QBs then I am proud to announce that Big Ben is the best QB in the league this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: I already did - 4th quarter game winning drives. Andy actually had some. That doesn't mean Burrow is trash or such but being able to seal the deal late in the fourth is a metric of the true elite QBs.

Burrow had game winning drives against the Vikings and the Jags this year. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:23 AM)TheFan Wrote: Burrow had game winning drives against the Vikings and the Jags this year. 

But they were not come from behind in the fourth like Essex said. So Burrow has yet to do that. And as I pointed out even Andy did that in years 1-2. 
Reply/Quote
Another positive is that after this sorry team loses out they will have yet another top ten pick in the draft. The NFL draft is the playoffs for Bungles fans.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:25 AM)Joelist Wrote: But they were not come from behind in the fourth like Essex said. So Burrow has yet to do that. And as I pointed out even Andy did that in years 1-2. 

You said "4th quarter game winning drives". Twice. 
Reply/Quote