Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question
Why are people racist?

I'm serious.

Why would someone hate someone else because of their color or country of origin?

I never got that.  

I've hated lots of people.  Always because of their behavior...not because they have a different skin pigment or they came from the "wrong" country.

I suppose you hate those people and say you're not racist...but I'm not sure what a better word for it is.

Anyone?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-09-2018, 11:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why are people racist?

Anyone?
Lately it's because they support POTUS and disagree with the liberal bias; however, overall it is because of ignorance. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
No idea.

Maybe the real question should be why is the definition of racism constantly changing. The sensitivity today is the most troubling.
(01-09-2018, 11:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No idea.  

Maybe the real question should be why is the definition of racism constantly changing.   The sensitivity today is the most troubling.

I think that would be the better question to ask the audience is what racism means.

For instance another poster and I had a back and forth earlier; he pointed to those that marched in Charolettesville as an example of racism.  Is that really the proper term for their actions? 

It’s ingrauned in us. Now it’s race as in color, but it was always the same with people different. Just look at post-Roman England. In a civilized society most rise above it, to a large extent, realizing different doesn’t equal threat. Even most racists don’t actually act on their racism.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-09-2018, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think that would be the better question to ask the audience is what racism means.

For instance another poster and I had a back and forth earlier; he pointed to those that marched in Charolettesville as an example of racism.  Is that really the proper term for their actions? 

Exactly.

It’s almost like we have reached an episode of black mirror where just being an ahole or just standing up for what you believe is now racist because you don’t agree with another person’s views. It’s crazy stuff.
If we had everyone post their version of racism/racist on a thread it would be ridiculous.

And ofc no one will admit it’s the knee jerk reaction comment when another person doesn’t agree with them.
(01-09-2018, 11:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.

It’s almost like we have reached an episode of black mirror where just being an ahole or just standing up for what you believe is now racist because you don’t agree with another person’s views. It’s crazy stuff.

But what if your beliefs involve race based prejudices? If someone espouses prejudicial beliefs based on race, that is racism. It doesn't have to be hateful or violent to be racist.
(01-09-2018, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think that would be the better question to ask the audience is what racism means.

What else would it be?

Or would it be better to say the MOTIVATION for the march was racism rather than marching is a racist act?

Or if they were chanting something that was racist would that make it an example of racism?
(01-09-2018, 11:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s ingrauned in us.  Now it’s race as in color, but it was always the same with people different. Just look at post-Roman England.  In a civilized society most rise above it, to a large extent, realizing different doesn’t equal threat. Even most racists don’t actually act on their racism.

But they are still racist.

If you uncle hates black people...he's racist.  Even if he doesn't yell at them in the street or refuse to work with one of "them".

Otherwise I agree it covers a lot more than just color.  

Maybe the US will rise above it all someday.
(01-09-2018, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For instance another poster and I had a back and forth earlier; he pointed to those that marched in Charolettesville as an example of racism.  Is that really the proper term for their actions? 

For what it's worth, I think so. And why not. White supremacy is inherently racism, as in putting one race above others, that's as textbook as it gets. As is being a Nazi. I can't see the confusion here.
(01-10-2018, 12:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: What else would it be?

Or would it be better to say the MOTIVATION for the march was racism rather than marching is a racist act?

Or if they were chanting something that was racist would that make it an example of racism?

...and that's why I said it comes down to one's definition of racism. 

If we go by Websters then racism is: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

What does a bunch of idiots marching and signing have to do with that? 

To me racism must include a dynamic of unfair treatment or irrational fear. 

(01-10-2018, 12:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and that's why I said it comes down to one's definition of racism. 

If we go by Websters then racism is: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

What does a bunch of idiots marching and signing have to do with that? 

To me racism must include a dynamic of unfair treatment or irrational fear. 

But that is one of three on Webster. What is number three on there? Race based prejudice or discrimination. Many of the Unite the Right attendees would fit into the prejudice category.
(01-09-2018, 11:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But what if your beliefs involve race based prejudices? If someone espouses prejudicial beliefs based on race, that is racism. It doesn't have to be hateful or violent to be racist.

I have zero beliefs based on race. I honestly could care less about your race. I do care more about actions however. Sometimes groups of people do crazy stuff but it has zero to do with their race. At least for me it’s this way.
(01-10-2018, 12:04 AM)hollodero Wrote: For what it's worth, I think so. And why not. White supremacy is inherently racism, as in putting one race above others, that's as textbook as it gets. As is being a Nazi. I can't see the confusion here.

But the purpose of their march was to preserve statues that were representative of their culture? I do not see where they attempted to make their race superior. 

(01-10-2018, 12:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: But that is one of three on Webster. What is number three on there? Race based prejudice or discrimination. Many of the Unite the Right attendees would fit into the prejudice category.

Oh I have no doubt that many unite the right attendees were racist. It doesn't make their acts at Charolletteville racism. 

(01-10-2018, 12:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have zero beliefs based on race.   I honestly could care less about your race.    I do care more about actions however.   Sometimes groups of people do crazy stuff but it has zero to do with their race.    At least for me it’s this way.

How do you group them then?

Like, all rapists are bad, obviously.  

But are they a "group" of people?
(01-10-2018, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh I have no doubt that many unite the right attendees were racist. It doesn't make their acts at Charolletteville racism. 

Eh, I would disagree. The signs, shields, shirts, flags, chants, yells, and everything else espousing racial prejudice would be evidence their acts were racism.
(01-10-2018, 12:16 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, I would disagree. The signs, shields, shirts, flags, chants, yells, and everything else espousing racial prejudice would be evidence their acts were racism.

Oh I have no doubt you considered it racism. I assume your definition of racism is much broader than mine. 

(01-10-2018, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But the purpose of their march was to preserve statues that were representative of their culture? I do not see where they attempted to make their race superior. 

Exactly. It’s almost like people aren’t able to say well there were some people there who just cares about history. They so much want to call someone a racist they just forget to think it through.

That whole deal had Groups who were 1. rallying for votes, 2. standing up history of the statues. 3. Some racial stuff.

Then we had 1. Antifa 2. People wanting to take away the statues. 3. People peacefully protesting the white sup.

So actually by definition in this group we had some racists (white sup), some facists (anti statues), and group of civil war and US history buffs, and peaceful protestors, and antifa playing the role of the RFB.