Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A shitty situation
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/us/parrish-waste-poop-train-alabama-trnd/index.html

Quote:Right now, dozens of train cars carrying 10 million pounds of poop are stranded in a rural Alabama rail yard. Technically it's biowaste, but to the 982 residents in the small town of Parrish, that's just semantics.

They want it gone. The load has been there for almost two months, and it's making the whole place smell like a rotting animal carcass.

To add insult to injury, it isn't even their poop. For the last year, waste management facilities in New York and one in New Jersey have been shipping tons of biowaste -- literally, tons -- to Big Sky Environmental, a private landfill in Adamsville, Alabama. But in January, the neighboring town of West Jefferson filed an injunction against Big Sky to keep the sludge from being stored in a nearby rail yard.

It was successful -- but as a result, the poo already in transit got moved to Parrish, where there are no zoning laws to prevent the waste from being stored.

I see things like this and all sorts of policy bells go off in my head. Of course, this is also just an interesting story I wanted to share.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It's poop!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Dr-Evil-Shit.gif]

The craziest thing about that story is that New York shipped poop to Alabama. New York is 54.5k sq mi... and they can't find anywhere to deal with their poop there? They're twice the size of Ireland, and the best solution they could come up with was putting it on a train and sending it 1,000 miles away? Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
If only those damn Yankees would just keep their shit to themselves...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-04-2018, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: Dr-Evil-Shit.gif]

The craziest thing about that story is that New York shipped poop to Alabama. New York is 54.5k sq mi... and they can't find anywhere to deal with their poop there? They're twice the size of Ireland, and the best solution they could come up with was putting it on a train and sending it 1,000 miles away? Lol

That was my thought, as well. That is a baffling thing to me. I can only guess that they have not found a way to process waste at a rate that meets the demand required for their population.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I don't really see why they are complaining. It's Alabama, FFS, take the increase in local property value and hope New York is willing to send more.
I don’t care for foul language in general but this title is great. Nice one Matt.
(04-04-2018, 08:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If only those damn Yankees would just keep their shit to themselves...

I may have gotten this story from a group I belong to that is for members of a website called The Bitter Southerner. I think you can guess that this was a common comment. I

(04-04-2018, 08:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don’t care for foul language in general but this title is great. Nice one Matt.

We all know I am more loose with the language, but I really waffled on whether to use it in the title. It was just too good to pass up.