Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sliver of hope ?
Is there hope here yet ? If we go 6 - 10 could Mike actually pull the rug out from under Lewis ? At this point I just don't see a new HC until Mike is no longer running the team. But maybe ? Just a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel ?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19095719/cincinnati-bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-anticipate-contract-extension-season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Has no one around here noticed that Marvin never gets a long term deal.

If his job was as secure as some of you claim he would have had a longer deal done before now.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is there hope here yet ? If we go 6 - 10 could Mike actually pull the rug out from under Lewis ? At this point I just don't see a new HC until Mike is no longer running the team. But maybe ? Just a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel ?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19095719/cincinnati-bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-anticipate-contract-extension-season

Funny how they keep mentioning that Marv has more wins than any coach in Bengals history. Of course, they conveniently omit that he also has the most losses and has set both a team and all time NFL record with 7 playoff loses without a win.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Has no one around here noticed that Marvin never gets a long term deal.

If his job was as secure as some of you claim he would have had a longer deal done before now.

Walter Alston managed the Dodgers on 23 one year contracts.  Nobody ever doubted he was coming back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Has no one around here noticed that Marvin never gets a long term deal.

He's the 2nd longest tenured head coach but is 0-7 in the playoffs. No other coach has that kind of resume. Jim Mora went 0-6 and that's the closest. But Mora coached 2 teams to get to that.

Here's a list of coaches who have won playoff games since Marvin Lewis and have been fired (underlined are coaches who made it to the championship game, bold and underline are Super Bowl coaches).
Note: Only including coaches that WON or MADE IT while Marvin was a HC

Lovie Smith
Jim Harbaugh
Andy Reid
Ken Whisenhunt
John Fox
(2 times)
Mike Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Norv Turner
Mike Smith

Gary Kubiak
Rex Ryan
Brad Childress
Jim L Mora (different one)
Wade Phillips
Jack Del Rio
Mike McCoy
Mike Tice
Jeff Fisher

So since Marvin Lewis has come into the league, there have been 6 Super Bowl coaches fired (7 if you include John Fox getting fired twice), 7 other coaches who made it to the Championship game, and 5 playoff winning coaches.

And I'm not including coaches who won any kind of playoff games before Marvin became head coach, only from 2003 and on. And no coaches that retired either, because that's not fair.

Of the 11 coaches who have made it to the AFC Championship game, 5 were fired. 3 retired. 3 are still in the NFL.
Of the 15 coaches who have made it to the NFC Championship game, 9 were fired. 1 kind of retired (Mike Holmgren, it was a lame duck year), 5 are still coaching.

There have been 13 coaches who made it to Championship games and were fired. One coach made it there twice.
So. Yes. His job is secure. To believe otherwise is ignorant.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:22 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So. Yes. His job is secure. To believe otherwise is ignorant.

If we have another losing season he will be gone.  To believe otherwise is ignorant.

I'll even make a sig bet on it.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:07 PM)McC Wrote: Walter Alston managed the Dodgers on 23 one year contracts.  Nobody ever doubted he was coming back.

Because he never had back-to-back losing seasons.  I don't remember the early part of his run as Dodgers manager, but I doubt he even had 2 or 3 losing season in total.  Plus he had 2 or 3 World Series Championships.
Reply/Quote
I truly believe these 1 year contracts are nothing but an agreement.

That way if Lewis wants to retire or leave he may and Mikey gets stuck with nothing.

Win/Win for the both of them.

Don't believe this "pressure" spin that Marvin spewing.

The media also has been throwing out this "hot seat" garbage for years.

It's like some posters on here thinking we're going to see power 2 TE sets implemented in our offense.

Sure it's not a bad idea... but it's your idea.

The media thinks Marvin should be on the hot seat.

They thought he should have been fired after the playoff loss because he couldn't control his players.

So how did that pan out? Hilarious

Now we have Lewis blowing off actions of a habitual unruly player and Mr. Brown is right there beside him.

Gimme a freakin' break.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because he never had back-to-back losing seasons.  I don't remember the early part of his run as Dodgers manager, but I doubt he even had 2 or 3 losing season in total.  Plus he had 2 or 3 World Series Championships.

Point is, a longer contract doesn't mean a guy can't get fired and a short contract doesn't mean he isn't secure.  In this instance, length of contract means a lot less than Marvin's relationship with Mike.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 01:37 PM)McC Wrote: Point is, a longer contract doesn't mean a guy can't get fired and a short contract doesn't mean he isn't secure.  In this instance, length of contract means a lot less than Marvin's relationship with Mike.

So are you accepting the sig bet and predicting that Marvin will still be our head coach next year even if we have another losing season?

I say that if he has another losing season this year he is gone.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 02:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So are you accepting the sig bet and predicting that Marvin will still be our head coach next year even if we have another losing season?

I say that if he has another losing season this year he is gone.

I wonder why youre so confident about this stance Fred.....

It wouldn't have anything to do with the retirement rumors started last year, and fan approval of him is the lowest its ever been would it?

If you make the bet that you think he gets fired even if we win over 10 games ill take it. If I lose id change my Avatar to Fredtoast is my Master for a year.

That dudes job has been secure beyond logic. But his time is drawing to an end no matter what. I think the only thing that saves him is a playoff win THIS YEAR.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 09:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we have another losing season he will be gone.  To believe otherwise is ignorant.

I'll even make a sig bet on it.

Are we just gonna ignore the rest of what I said?

(04-09-2017, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because he never had back-to-back losing seasons.  I don't remember the early part of his run as Dodgers manager, but I doubt he even had 2 or 3 losing season in total.  Plus he had 2 or 3 World Series Championships.
Apparently.

Andy Reid never had back to back losing seasons.
Mike Holmgren never had back to back losing seasons.
Gary Kubiak never had back to back losing seasons.
Jim Caldwell never had back to back losing seasons.

Brad Childress never had back to back losing seasons.
Wade Philips never had back to back losing seasons.
Mike Shanahan didn't have back to back losing seasons with the Broncos.
John Fox didn't have back to back losing seasons with the Panthers or Broncos.

Bold are coaches who also played in Super Bowls. Childress and Shanahan made it to the Championship game. Philips won a playoff game.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is there hope here yet ? If we go 6 - 10 could Mike actually pull the rug out from under Lewis ? At this point I just don't see a new HC until Mike is no longer running the team. But maybe ? Just a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel ?

[Image: hope-copy.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hope, the quintessential human emotion. Simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your biggest weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 07:44 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Andy Reid never had back to back losing seasons.

And look how stupid the Eagles were to fire him.

But I don't know what that has to do with the issue at hand.  Are you taking my sig bet that if the Bengals have another losing season this year then Marvin is gone?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:22 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He's the 2nd longest tenured head coach but is 0-7 in the playoffs. No other coach has that kind of resume. Jim Mora went 0-6 and that's the closest. But Mora coached 2 teams to get to that.

Here's a list of coaches who have won playoff games since Marvin Lewis and have been fired (underlined are coaches who made it to the championship game, bold and underline are Super Bowl coaches).
Note: Only including coaches that WON or MADE IT while Marvin was a HC

Lovie Smith
Jim Harbaugh
Andy Reid
Ken Whisenhunt
John Fox
(2 times)
Mike Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Norv Turner
Mike Smith

Gary Kubiak
Rex Ryan
Brad Childress
Jim L Mora (different one)
Wade Phillips
Jack Del Rio
Mike McCoy
Mike Tice
Jeff Fisher

So since Marvin Lewis has come into the league, there have been 6 Super Bowl coaches fired (7 if you include John Fox getting fired twice), 7 other coaches who made it to the Championship game, and 5 playoff winning coaches.

And I'm not including coaches who won any kind of playoff games before Marvin became head coach, only from 2003 and on. And no coaches that retired either, because that's not fair.

Of the 11 coaches who have made it to the AFC Championship game, 5 were fired. 3 retired. 3 are still in the NFL.
Of the 15 coaches who have made it to the NFC Championship game, 9 were fired. 1 kind of retired (Mike Holmgren, it was a lame duck year), 5 are still coaching.

There have been 13 coaches who made it to Championship games and were fired. One coach made it there twice.
So. Yes. His job is secure. To believe otherwise is ignorant.

.....and Mora was a championship coach in the USFL....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 10:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And look how stupid the Eagles were to fire him.

But I don't know what that has to do with the issue at hand.  Are you taking my sig bet that if the Bengals have another losing season this year then Marvin is gone?

You said Marvin is still here because he never had back to back losing seasons, which is false by the way. I presented you a list with head coaches who have been fired/let go that also never had back to back losing seasons, 5 of those coaches made it to the Super Bowl (one did it twice).

And yet you continue to ignore the FACT that Marvin Lewis has one of the most secure jobs in the NFL. You just want to make a sig bet while ignoring the cold hard facts. But why would I believe they let him go? Go on. I want a reason why.
Is it because we made the playoffs 5 years in a row? Because in his first 8 seasons with the team they made the playoffs only 2 times. He has the worst record in playoff history at 0-7. Won the division only 4 times in the last 14 years?
Tell me, because I'm curious.

Also Andy Reid is a much better coach than Marvin Lewis.
The Eagles won two playoff games since 1981 before Reid was hired as HC. He won more playoff games in 3 years with the team (from 2000 and 2001)

Reply/Quote
I don't know how long Mike Brown plans on living, but I can't imagine him replacing Marvin unless the guy retires. I can see Marvin sticking around until Mikey is too old or too ill or too dead to run the team and Katie will keep Marvin as the HC because "why not?"

How's that for some hope?

But seriously....does this team NEED a new HC? We NEED an indoor practice facility, we've NEEDED a GM for 25 years, and so on and so forth. Needing something (even assuming we need a new HC) doesn't mean much for this franchise, does it?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 08:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You said Marvin is still here because he never had back to back losing seasons,

I said Walter Alston was not fired because he never had back to back losing seasons.

(04-10-2017, 08:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: And yet you continue to ignore the FACT that Marvin Lewis has one of the most secure jobs in the NFL. You just want to make a sig bet while ignoring the cold hard facts.

I am not ignoring anything.  I am saying that Marvin will get fired if we have another losing season in '17.  You say he will not.  So I propose a sig bet.  Instead of just squealing step up and accept the bet.
Reply/Quote