Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A tale of two halves
That was a weird game...

The first half we couldn't run, the O kept shooting itself in the foot and the D got gashed by a lot of bonehead plays.

The second half the D overall did its Job and the offense went on a rampage to get the win.

Dare I think we actually made adjustments? One I could see was the Guards were taking different angles on their pass sets - both of them angled in which reduced the need for Hopkins to pivot as much. And Reiff and Jonah just played on islands and did their jobs. On defense we stopped being snookered by RPOs and also did better tackling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not to mention that Kicks McGee missed a FG in the first half, but hit the clutch one at the end. Not a half-time adjustment, but just another thing that went wrong in the first half and went right in the 2nd.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In the past if we were down by 2 scores by halftime it was pretty much over. I'm not sure I'll log off again when they're behind at halftime. I logged back in after they were 14-7. I was convinced it was going to be 21-0. It's good to be wrong these days.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

1. Seismic momentum shift. There’s no overstating how much momentum the Bengals were able to seize in just a few minutes on each side of halftime. Were it not for their fourth-down stop on their 1-yard line before the half, the Jaguars’ would-be 21-0 lead might’ve led to a different outcome. Instead, Cincinnati took a much more manageable 14-0 deficit into the locker room, then emerged for a quick TD drive to open the second half, followed by a three-and-out defensive series. By then, the home crowd had been rejuvenated, and the game slowly slipped away from Jacksonville, as the Bengals snapped a 20-game losing streak when trailing by 14 or more points, per NFL Research.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to mention that Kicks McGee missed a FG in the first half, but hit the clutch one at the end. Not a half-time adjustment, but just another thing that went wrong in the first half and went right in the 2nd.

I bet Lap had a boner in the locker room. He loves that "tale of two halves" angle. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals can manage to knock off the RatBirds and Cheeseheads we could be sitting @ 7-1 at the halfway point. I think the worse it will be by the 8th game is 5-3..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Next Gen stat of the night: With a 14-0 lead and possession on the Cincinnati 1-yard line near the end of the first half, the Jaguars’ win probability peaked at 86%.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: If the Bengals can manage to knock off the RatBirds and Cheeseheads we could be sitting @ 7-1 at the halfway point. I think the worse it will be by the 8th game is 5-3..

If we could win the 2 were supposed to and win one of the other 2 id be giddy.  We might stand a better chance against the Ravens this year they are banged up and our defense finally seems to know how to tackle a runner.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I believe not having Bates in the first half was a big reason they were able to run on us. But he still wasn't there the second half, so as someone else said, we may have actually made adjustments at half.

I'll give Jax some credit. Their D players made some really good tackles. I don't remember seeing many broken ones by our boys on O other than Uzo.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:44 AM)Joelist Wrote: That was a weird game...

The first half we couldn't run, the O kept shooting itself in the foot and the D got gashed by a lot of bonehead plays.

The second half the D overall did its Job and the offense went on a rampage to get the win.

Dare I think we actually made adjustments? One I could see was the Guards were taking different angles on their pass sets - both of them angled in which reduced the need for Hopkins to pivot as much. And Reiff and Jonah just played on islands and did their jobs. On defense we stopped being snookered by RPOs and also did better tackling.

The halftime adjustment that probably didn't have to wait until halftime was being keyed on the running play, even when they lined up with 4 receivers.  They like having fewer bodies in the box, and it was working very well. 

It was actually really frustrating as it appeared as though their offensive line was manhandling the defensive line, especially inside.  The typical holding calls not called was happening on Hubbard and Hendrickson, but the guys inside were just getting owned.  My hope is that it was just fatigue, but they weren't making tackles or applying any pressure.  

The play of the LBs was spectacular.  Pratt, Wilson, and ADG were the real heroes of the defense last night.  And a tip of the cap to Mr. Apple, who seemed to play with confidence.  I am anxious to go through the PFF numbers, but not that anxious.

We rolled in to home at 1:30 AM.  I am ready for a nap after I get my son off to school.

Overall, it felt like one of those "good teams win ugly" games/excuses that you hear.  Well, it was ugly.  Some tough calls (and no calls) but overall they just couldn't get the running game going and the defense did just enough in the 2nd half to allow the offense to win it.

I still can't believe Meyer went for it on 4th down at the 1, up 14-0.  That makes it 3 scores, and instead they gave Cincy a break considering how they played in the first half.  

Burrow, CJ, Boyd, and Chase were amazing.  Even Irwin had one nice grab (PI not called, but it didn't matter).
Reply/Quote
Tried staying awake for the whole game but couldn't do it.

Any major injuries?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Like Burrow said they haven't been a 1st half team all year, team looked like junk, mainly the offense couldn't get/stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 07:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The halftime adjustment that probably didn't have to wait until halftime was being keyed on the running play, even when they lined up with 4 receivers.  They like having fewer bodies in the box, and it was working very well. 

It was actually really frustrating as it appeared as though their offensive line was manhandling the defensive line, especially inside.  The typical holding calls not called was happening on Hubbard and Hendrickson, but the guys inside were just getting owned.  My hope is that it was just fatigue, but they weren't making tackles or applying any pressure.  

The play of the LBs was spectacular.  Pratt, Wilson, and ADG were the real heroes of the defense last night.  And a tip of the cap to Mr. Apple, who seemed to play with confidence.  I am anxious to go through the PFF numbers, but not that anxious.

We rolled in to home at 1:30 AM.  I am ready for a nap after I get my son off to school.

Overall, it felt like one of those "good teams win ugly" games/excuses that you hear.  Well, it was ugly.  Some tough calls (and no calls) but overall they just couldn't get the running game going and the defense did just enough in the 2nd half to allow the offense to win it.

I still can't believe Meyer went for it on 4th down at the 1, up 14-0.  That makes it 3 scores, and instead they gave Cincy a break considering how they played in the first half.  

Burrow, CJ, Boyd, and Chase were amazing.  Even Irwin had one nice grab (PI not called, but it didn't matter).

Lesson learned for Meyer but they had everything going for them, in hindsight they could have used that FG for sure, but it's only a few plays that make or break the game. Somehow trevor had no picks, think we only sacked him once? 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:00 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Lesson learned for Meyer but they had everything going for them, in hindsight they could have used that FG for sure, but it's only a few plays that make or break the game. Somehow trevor had no picks, think we only sacked him once? 

He actually ran out of bounds short of the LOS, so technically it was a sack but he was hardly ever hit.  Hendrickson had a great sack, but it was negated by a penalty. 

There was a tipped ball that had a chance, but he threw mostly screens and quick hitches and very little down the field.  When he did go down the field, he was not accurate.  I have said this about Lawrence for some time:  he is an amazing athlete, but I think his QB skills are lacking. 

The Jags running game was what was so successful against the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 07:49 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Tried staying awake for the whole game but couldn't do it.

Any major injuries?

Only one I am a little worried about is Mixon.....he limped off after a run in the 4th qtr (probably 5 or 6 minutes left) and didn't come back into the game.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 02:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Next Gen stat of the night: With a 14-0 lead and possession on the Cincinnati 1-yard line near the end of the first half, the Jaguars’ win probability peaked at 86%.

if they score there its probly over.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He actually ran out of bounds short of the LOS, so technically it was a sack but he was hardly ever hit.  Hendrickson had a great sack, but it was negated by a penalty. 

There was a tipped ball that had a chance, but he threw mostly screens and quick hitches and very little down the field.  When he did go down the field, he was not accurate.  I have said this about Lawrence for some time:  he is an amazing athlete, but I think his QB skills are lacking. 

The Jags running game was what was so successful against the Bengals.  
Maybe I watched a different game...I saw the guy throw about three dimes downfield and the somewhat blown coverage/bad coverage with Waynes for 52 yards.  That play was btw the longest play against the Bengals this year, the longest play for JAX this year and the longest play for Horse faces career so far.  

Talking about downfield...I am not sure how that one play against Chase was not face guarding down the right sideline....the dude never turned his head once and went right into Chase's chest.  I am pretty sure that is still illegal in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to mention that Kicks McGee missed a FG in the first half

I blame that miss on all the IDIOTS who keep calling him "Legs Benedict". :angry:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:22 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I blame that miss on all the IDIOTS who keep calling him "Legs Benedict". :angry:

Well after that kick he was "Runny Scrambled Legs"
Reply/Quote
I think there were some journalistic jargons made in the locker room when they were able to get a few moments to go over how they were getting beat at the point of attack. That didn't happen much in the 2nd half....plus they went more empty sets in the 2nd. They threw everything at em. Jumbo, 2 and 3 TE, empty, shotgun, under center, you name it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote