Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A tease
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/06/06/imagining-the-lives-of-others/?_r=0

Above is a link for one of the better articles I have read this week. Below is the first part of it, the tease. I hope if you don't click on the link now you will after reading the tease and read the whole thing...

What could be more exhilarating than experiencing the world through the perspective of another person? In “Remembrance of Things Past,” Marcel Proust’s narrator says that the only true voyage of discovery is not to visit other lands but “to possess other eyes, to behold the universe through the eyes of another, of a hundred others, to behold the hundred universes that each of them beholds.” This is one of the central projects of the humanities; it’s certainly part of the pleasure we get from art and literature.

Many believe that this psychological connection is also essential for political change. They may argue, for instance, that in order for white Americans to adequately respond to the events in Baltimore, Ferguson, Mo., and elsewhere, they need to put themselves in the shoes of those in minority communities. After the death of Eric Garner at the hands of New York City police officers, Hillary Rodham Clinton called for changing police tactics, and then added: “The most important thing each of us can do is to try even harder to see the world through our neighbors’ eyes, to imagine what it is like to walk in their shoes, to share their pain and their hopes and their dreams.”

This is a moral claim, but it raises a psychological question. Can we do what Mrs. Clinton asks of us? Just how successful are we at seeing the world as others see it?

Apparently, we are nowhere near as good as we think we are....

Was the tease enough to get you to read the whole thing? Did you read the article? I found the article thought provoking and relevant in many ways. What did you think about it? Did it challenge your perspective on yourself? On others?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I was expecting some tits.
Reply/Quote
This paragraph sums it up for me. It is easy to say we will try to see through the eyes of others, but it is really prettyt much impossible

"There are certain limits, however, to how far we can go. The philosopher Laurie Paul, in her book “Transformative Experience,” argues that it’s impossible to actually imagine what it would be like to have certain deeply significant experiences, such as becoming a parent, changing your religion or fighting a war. The same lack of access applies to our understanding of others. If I can’t know what it would be like for me to fight in a war, how can I expect to understand what it was like for someone else to have fought in a war? If I can’t understand what it would be like to become poor, how can I know what it’s like for someone else to be poor?"

Even if a rich person tries living on the streets with no money he will never really know the hopeless feeling of being poor because iot is all just an act to him. He may get a better understanding of the har5dships they face, but he will never really know what it FEELS like
Reply/Quote