Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A theory I have
(09-24-2019, 03:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Actually, it DOES makes sense. It just depends on what you are defining 'adversity'.  ThumbsUp

It's actually more depending on how you define "overcome".

Sure they faced adversity. They lost though, so it can't be argued that they overcame that adversity.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to say we looked good in Week 3 as we had 0 1st downs in the 1st half and the Bills easily ran and passed on us. 'Sneaky good teams' don't have 0 1st downs in a half.

That's how you sneak up on them...

Sneaky good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 03:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's actually more depending on how you define "overcome".

Sure they faced adversity. They lost though, so it can't be argued that they overcame that adversity.

Meh, it's semantics and you sound awfully anti-semantic.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Meh, it's semantics and you sound awfully anti-semantic.  Mellow

If I am the one arguing with semantics, and you're trying to deny me, doesn't that make YOU anti-semantic? Case and point, I am arguing semantics in order to argue semantics. Semantiception?

Hilarious

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wish some Bengal fans would make up a standings list so I can see where the teams stand on looking bad in wins and that optimistic or denial stat of looking good in losses. Are the Bengals a playoff team in your standings?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:46 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I wish some Bengal fans would make up a standings list so I can see where the teams stand on looking bad in wins and that optimistic or denial stat of looking good in losses. Are the Bengals a playoff team in your standings?

Hell, we'd have to have two or three Moral Victory Lombardis at this point.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's not a theory. Those are observations.

Correct, it is a hypothesis made from his observations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:30 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Correct, it is a hypothesis made from his observations.

Perhaps by the end of this thread there will be a consensus, and finally a theory.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 07:51 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Hell, we'd have to have two or three Moral Victory Lombardis at this point.

Fresh off their near come from behind victory in upstate New York, the Bengals cracked the top 5 in my weekly power rankings.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Week 1 we traveled all the way to Seattle WA and lost by a point
week 2 Traveled all the way back to Cin OH got blewout by a 49er team that stayed on eastern time zone all week Played Buccs week 1
week 3 lose to a undefeated bills team in NY by 4. More corroboration on this 49ers didnt look as crisp against Steelers at home week 3

I agree with all of these, and the decision to wear all black in that SF game was moronic.

One other glimmer of hope (I'm really reaching here):

Remember Taylor saying how he wanted his team to be the fastest and freshest on game day?  Well, I think the starters on the Bengals played so little in the preseason that their game 1 soreness, combined with the travel, left them lifeless in week 2.  They looked better as the game wore on at Buffalo.  

Remember how you felt after the first game of the season, no matter how "in shape" you were?  The soreness made it hard to get out of a car.  And I was young.  

I can't help but think that strategy might have helped them look great week 1, bad week 2, and settling in week 3.

We know this defense is bad, especially in the middle, but I think the offense will start to find its stride and put up 24 points per game from here on out.  I have no idea if the front four (five?) can cover the deficiencies in the middle of the field.  I hope Pratt and Evans get more reps and show more than Vigil and Brown have this year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:52 PM)Brimey Wrote: We looked sneaky good Week 1. Last week looked like a horror show at times. If anything, the Bills looked bad in the second half. I don't think they're a playoff team

They're 3-0 with a top 3 defense...might be a playoff team if Allen stops making dumb mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 03:26 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Zero chance they beat the Patriots. The Patriots have a top defense this year to go with Tom Brady.

I wouldn't be so sure...New England has played the two worst teams in the league and the steelers are 0-3 also.  Only one win from their three opponents so far.  Buffalo has an outstanding defense, so does NE.  I think it will be a low-scoring game and a running QB is the one thing that can give the pats trouble.  

My guess is Buffalo won't get the officiating they got against Cincy, and the Pats will...
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure...New England has played the two worst teams in the league and the steelers are 0-3 also.  Only one win from their three opponents so far.  Buffalo has an outstanding defense, so does NE.  I think it will be a low-scoring game and a running QB is the one thing that can give the pats trouble.  

My guess is Buffalo won't get the officiating they got against Cincy, and the Pats will...

Actually the combined record of teams Pats beat 0-9. not to mention Roethlisberger was more than likely dealing with injury week1. I recall Cris and Al saying quite a bit that Ben didn't look right.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Actually the combined record of teams Pats beat 0-9. not to mention Roethlisberger was more than likely dealing with injury week1. I recall Cris and Al saying quite a bit that Ben didn't look right.

In all fairness we've lost to Seattle who have 2 wins, both against teams that are 0-6 total in us and Pittsburgh, the 49ers who have 3 wins over teams that are 1-8 in Tampa Bay, us, and Pittsburgh, and Buffalo who have 3 wins over teams that are 1-8 total in the Jets, Giants (who won only after benching Eli whom they beat) and us.

So we've lost to 3 teams that have a total of 7 wins over opponents who are a total of 2-22, overall.  Is my math right on this?  At any rate, that doesn't exactly say much about us if we've lost to teams that have beaten up on mostly winless teams.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Week 1 we traveled all the way to Seattle WA and lost by a point
week 2 Traveled all the way back to Cin OH got blewout by a 49er team that stayed on eastern time zone all week Played Buccs week 1
week 3 lose to a undefeated bills team in NY by 4. More corroboration on this 49ers didnt look as crisp against Steelers at home week 3

(09-24-2019, 02:48 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm hoping week 2 was the exception and not the rule. We look like a sneaky good team weeks 1 and 3

I mean, these are good points and it is encouraging on how well we played on the road against two very tough teams.

Hope you are right, could be. Hopefully AJ and Glenn come back soon and we can start winning some games and gaining
confidence. There is definitely fight in this team under Zac Taylor and he didn't let them get down after the trouncing by 
the Niners. The Defense played hard against the Bills and just ran out of gas. Liked the adjustments made by both Zac 
and Lou.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Travel DOES affect performance, but it should not affect a team that much. 

Right, I thikn the 49ers stayed in town "10 days" after their week 1 game. I always imagine they're flying in private jets where ever seat is 1st class and reclines horizontal with full privacy, but I don't know. Flying 5 hours isn't that fun otherwise or in any case.

I think getting rest as you get older (25+) helps lol.

We did not look sneaky good in week 3. We had basically zero first downs in the first half. If anything, we looked clearly bad, maybe the worst team in the league. Zero first downs means none even by penalty, every drive was 3 and out. We were on pace to have the lowest time of possession for a game, ever! (15 minutes).
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Actually the combined record of teams Pats beat 0-9. not to mention Roethlisberger was more than likely dealing with injury week1. I recall Cris and Al saying quite a bit that Ben didn't look right.

He looked fat...but that's just piggy
Reply/Quote