Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A time killer
If you weren't around back then here's a recount of game 7 of the 1975 WS win by the Big Red machine.. I remember it like yesterday, but still fun to read. http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/1975-world-series-game-7-reds-red-sox-game-6-carlton-fisk-homer-sparky-anderson-dwight-evans-fred-lynn/12x6gwkk2u0sa13zeox5ammzsh
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who can forget Fisk hitting the home run in game 6 and moving his arms to keep it fair? The Reds took the series though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
That was one of the greatest series ever.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The Reds have never lost a WS game since that day. They swept both Oakland and NY since.. I'd love to see another WS sweep before they ever lose another WS game.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Gullett was only able to start game 7 because of a couple of rainouts between game 5 (which Gullett started) and 6.  But he was not that strong.  He gave up all 3 runs that Boston scored in just 4 innings pitched.

**EDIT**  I looked it up and there was actually a FIVE day break between games 5 and 6.  Looks like the Series was originally supposed to end on a weekend but game 6 and 7 ended up being Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I was just 12 and remember how excited I was to stay up past midnight on a school night to watch game 6.  They kept showing the full moon rising during the telecast.
Reply/Quote
And Boston fans are still bitter about the Armbrister interference no call.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I watched the series, years later. I also had the 75 Album, I had most of that memorized. I’m long past reliving the last 3 Championships. It was 44, 43 and 29 years ago. It’s way past time to win again. It’s time to establish a new fan base. Winning a Championship is magical to a fan, it stays with you and solidifies your fan-hood. The younger folks and the Organization really need a Championship soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 10:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I watched the series, years later. I also had the 75 Album, I had most of that memorized. I’m long past reliving the  last 3 Championships. It was 44, 43 and 29 years ago. It’s way past time to win again. It’s time to establish a new fan base. Winning a Championship is magical to a fan, it stays with you and solidifies your fan-hood. The younger folks and the Organization really need a Championship soon.

A winning record would be a nice place to start.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 10:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I watched the series, years later. I also had the 75 Album, I had most of that memorized. I’m long past reliving the  last 3 Championships. It was 44, 43 and 29 years ago. It’s way past time to win again. It’s time to establish a new fan base. Winning a Championship is magical to a fan, it stays with you and solidifies your fan-hood. The younger folks and the Organization really need a Championship soon.

Stick around; They're on the way now.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Stick around; They're on the way now.

I hope you are right.  I cannot believe its been this long...sheez.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope you are right.  I cannot believe its been this long...sheez.  

Yeah, but it doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the game and some of the players. Clearly my interest as far as attending the game isn’t as high as it would be if they fielded a better team, but I definitely still watch most of the games, even if it’s just a few innings. I’m still a bengals fan and they’ve not been as a good as the Reds. Also a huge Columbus Blue Jackets fan and they’re worst than all of them combined.

tl;dr I would love a championship every year but those are not my only priorities.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 07:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, but it doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the game and some of the players. Clearly my interest as far as attending the game isn’t as high as it would be if they fielded a better team, but I definitely still watch most of the games, even if it’s just a few innings. I’m still a bengals fan and they’ve not been as a good as the Reds. Also a huge Columbus Blue Jackets fan and they’re worst than all of them combined.

tl;dr I would love a championship every year but those are not my only priorities.

i need to go see the Blue Jackets
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:48 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: i need to go see the Blue Jackets

Don't do it this year they're choking something baaaaad.
Reply/Quote

29 years in baseball isn't that long, but still, for a team with such rich history it's a shame nobody under the age of 30 or so have never really seen how exciting the Reds can be. My kids are just old enough to remember the 90 series, but my grandkids could give a rats ass about the Reds or Bengals for that matter.. They don't necessarily have to win a championship to pull the kids back in, but they definitely need to be in the thick of things.. Perennial last place teams don't usually attract a lot of young fans. 

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 11:03 AM)McC Wrote: A winning record would be a nice place to start.

Amen to that!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Stick around; They're on the way now.

I’m a lifer, win or lose. Losing for several years in a row is frustrating though.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 01:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: 29 years in baseball isn't that long, but still, for a team with such rich history it's a shame nobody under the age of 30 or so have never really seen how exciting the Reds can be. My kids are just old enough to remember the 90 series, but my grandkids could give a rats ass about the Reds or Bengals for that matter.. They don't necessarily have to win a championship to pull the kids back in, but they definitely need to be in the thick of things.. Perennial last place teams don't usually attract a lot of young fans. 

In itself, 29 years isn’t that long. When you couple that with being 30 games under .500 for several years in a row, that 29 year old Championship doesn’t do that much for a fan base.
Reply/Quote