Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Effectiveness on Uninsured
My wife has a medical card from Belarus and can go back for whatever if she ever needed.   The issue she has always had is that she has to bribe her doctor to be able to see them in a timely manner.   Plus everyone goes to the hospital for every little thing.   When she had strep throat as a kid she stayed in the hospital for a week.  

Single payer will still have people paying money to get better or expidited care over the people who can't or won't pay extra.  
(01-08-2016, 02:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My wife has a medical card from Belarus and can go back for whatever if she ever needed.   The issue she has always had is that she has to bribe her doctor to be able to see them in a timely manner.   Plus everyone goes to the hospital for every little thing.   When she had strep throat as a kid she stayed in the hospital for a week.  

Single payer will still have people paying money to get better or expidited care over the people who can't or won't pay extra.  

Belarus isn't a good comparison, though. Too many differences to draw a conclusion like that based on one country in the former USSR that has a smaller economy, is not as developed, is not a western nation, and has more corruption within the government.
(01-08-2016, 08:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Belarus isn't a good comparison, though. Too many differences to draw a conclusion like that based on one country in the former USSR that has a smaller economy, is not as developed, is not a western nation, and has more corruption within the government.

Same thing happens in England.   They just don't call it a bribe.   They call it private.    Point being the poor people still get the worst care because even though they get care no matter what....  They just will have to wait for that care until the doctor has time in between the private (or bribes) patients.
(01-08-2016, 10:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Same thing happens in England.   They just don't call it a bribe.   They call it private.    Point being the poor people still get the worst care because even though they get care no matter what....  They just will have to wait for that care until the doctor has time in between the private (or bribes) patients.

I've heard good about the NHS and bad. My brother-in-law is a UK citizen from Sheffield and he holds a graduate degree in public policy, so he is always a fan of talking about these sorts of things. The situation with the NHS is very uneven depending on location and the district (can't remember if it is called a district or if they have some other name) and how they administrate it. This is what plays a role in the waiting times and level of care seen.

As for the private bit, that isn't a bribe by another name. Yes, it is a situation of those with money getting better care because they can afford it, but it's them receiving care outside of the NHS system. They aren't skipping ahead in line, they are using their assets to purchase a different (better) good or service. That's the capitalist part of the system. You will never rid a single pay system of that, certainly, but it is a lot different than paying bribes to NHS doctors to skip in line.
(01-08-2016, 10:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've heard good about the NHS and bad. My brother-in-law is a UK citizen from Sheffield and he holds a graduate degree in public policy, so he is always a fan of talking about these sorts of things. The situation of the situations with the NHS is very uneven depending on location and the district (can't remember if it is called a district or if they have some other name) and how they administrate it. This is what plays a role in the waiting times and level of care seen.

As for the private bit, that isn't a bribe by another name. Yes, it is a situation of those with money getting better care because they can afford it, but it's them receiving care outside of the NHS system. They aren't skipping ahead in line, they are using their assets to purchase a different (better) good or service. That's the capitalist part of the system. You will never rid a single pay system of that, certainly, but it is a lot different than paying bribes to NHS doctors to skip in line.

I know it's not actually a bribe .  But people paying money to get better or faster care in England is called private in Belarus it's called a bribe.   But it's the same treatment.  

My knowledge of the English system is from my friend's wife and she is from Cornwall.   Just so you know the area I am pulling my information .

My issue is just that poor are still getting crap care and still waiting..:. And for the pleasure of waiting we all get taxed to oblivion so poor people can wait for treatment and have an NHS style government group decide if they get certain treatments or not.

Why should we all suffer in high taxes and hassle to basically just jerk poor people around? To empower some government office to pick who gets to survive and who doesn't. I just don't see why we need to empower them .