Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA/Obamacare Repeal/Replace Drama
(03-14-2017, 02:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Employers typically pay 50% of the insurance premium on your behalf.  For example, you pay $400 per month in premiums and your employer pays the same.  An individual might pay $800 or more for the same policy on the individual market.  Employers offer medical insurance as part of an overall compensation package to attract the best candidates for the job. 

Approximately 50% of the US is covered by employer sponsored health insurance. Another 30% approximately through Medicare and Medicaid.  That leaves roughly 20 percent.  The majority of that 20% are the working poor; Americans who work blue collar jobs which don't offer health insurance, not Welfare Queens or illegal immigrants as implied.

The politicians need to do a much better job serving those Americans.  When they do, it will benefit the rest of us.  Not just the those earning $250,000 or more who get a tax break with the proposed plan who are already able to afford executive health insurance plans.

What's interesting is that we are going to see that 20% grow. This is a result of the gig economy and its growth in our country. Uber and Lyft are just two examples, but our economy is seeing a growing number of what I would call 1099 workers. These folks aren't going to get benefits from their employers. They are contractors and are considered to be self-employed for the most part. This segment is growing, and is expected to continue to grow, as millennials tend to prefer the freedom that comes along with it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Quote:During his interview with Fox News’ Jesse Watters Saturday night, Donald Trump tried to snow Americans into thinking he knows something about health care policy. Unfortunately, his efforts only proved he was conning.

At about one minute into the interview, Watters asked about the status of the #TrumpDon’tCare Trumpcare, the Obamacare replacement.

Quote:WATTERS: Obamacare repeal could be President Trump’s first deal. Are you gonna close it?

Tellingly, Trump did not say “yes.” Instead, he came up with this piece of hooey.

Quote:TRUMP: Well, I think it’s going to be never easy. You know, health care is a very complex subject. I’ve been saying that for a long time. Now people are agreeing with me. They understand.

Actually, everybody except Trump has probably long thought health care is complex. On February 27, 2017 – less than three weeks ago, Trump announced, as if it was news, that health care is an “unbelievably complex subject.” He added, “Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.”

I suppose people just forget how easy it said it was going to be...and how complicated he found out it would be...because NOW he says he's being saying and people are just starting to agree with him.

Hook, line and sinker.

Read more at http://www.newshounds.us/three_weeks_figuring_out_health_care_policy_complicated_trump_boasts_been_saying_long_time_031917#BvLQHEftdOYhTqYr.99
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-14-2017, 01:05 PM)Benton Wrote: I've advocated for a while for a plan where the states form a cooperative and negotiate on behalf of anyone who wants insurance.

If you're a single payer and solicit from a dozen insurance companies, you're going to pay a huge rate. That's one of the benefits of working for a large company, typically they negotiate a good benefits package. A state cooperative could do the same for voluntary members (single payers). If you get 10% of each state participating, that's several million people to spread a plan across.

On the legalizing issue, that's sort of what's been happening already with some states approving it, taxing it and using the proceeds to pay for stuff they would normally have to use an income tax for. Which is why the news of Trump's "we're going back to locking up people for smoking pot" is disappointing.

I'd get behind this in a heartbeat. In fact, I would like to participate in getting it rolling. Any ideas as to how? Do we have any Kentucky advocates in power that would support this? Alison Grimes maybe?

Obama addressed the legalizing issue in his interview with Bill Maher, where he said the difficulty for the Feds is having two sets of rules to "enforce". 80% of the states still 'oppose' legalization with the other 20% going against the Feds classification of pot. The first step is getting pot off of the schedule 1 list, which seemed inevitable until the new administration hit the scene. Just another item on the list of issues that we'll see ignored until the next changing of the guard.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(03-19-2017, 05:34 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'd get behind this in a heartbeat. In fact, I would like to participate in getting it rolling. Any ideas as to how? Do we have any Kentucky advocates in power that would support this? Alison Grimes maybe?

Obama addressed the legalizing issue in his interview with Bill Maher, where he said the difficulty for the Feds is having two sets of rules to "enforce". 80% of the states still 'oppose' legalization with the other 20% going against the Feds classification of pot. The first step is getting pot off of the schedule 1 list, which seemed inevitable until the new administration hit the scene. Just another item on the list of issues that we'll see ignored until the next changing of the guard.

No idea. I haven't really seen anyone supporting the idea, just debating whether government should pay for everyone to have cheap healthcare, or just subsidize those who already have it. I guess the reason nobody wants to touch it is insurance companies make a good chunk off charging single payers higher rates. If those single payers all came together and said "we want to pay 8% less" those companies would lose revenue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ryan just told Trump they don't have the votes. The concessions to the Freedom Caucus is losing them moderate votes.

Vote expected to be at 3:30.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-24-2017, 02:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ryan just told Trump they don't have the votes. The concessions to the Freedom Caucus is losing them moderate votes.

Vote expected to be at 3:30.

I'm kind of surprised.  I really think this passes, somehow.
(03-24-2017, 02:02 PM)GMDino Wrote:

I can't decide if this is hilarious or pathetic

Trump/Bannon/Republicans could have chosen any plan out of an infinite number of plans. But, the plan they chose and the plan Trump is threatening the House to pass, isn't really their plan. It's the insurance companies' plan.

Spineless chickenshit.
Reporter: If the bill doesn't pass...

Spicer: Can we ask questions about when the bill passes?

Reporter: Do you want to hold a briefing after the vote then?

Spicer: No

CNN's count is 34 NO's from the GOP. It went up 2 during Spicer's briefing.

Oh, this is gonna pass.  I guaran **** tee it will. Its 'fake news' reporting the opposite. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(03-14-2017, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What's interesting is that we are going to see that 20% grow. This is a result of the gig economy and its growth in our country. Uber and Lyft are just two examples, but our economy is seeing a growing number of what I would call 1099 workers. These folks aren't going to get benefits from their employers. They are contractors and are considered to be self-employed for the most part. This segment is growing, and is expected to continue to grow, as millennials tend to prefer the freedom that comes along with it.

Robert Reich has some interesting things to say about this phenomenon. But, you probably already knew that.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-19-2017, 05:34 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'd get behind this in a heartbeat. In fact, I would like to participate in getting it rolling. Any ideas as to how? Do we have any Kentucky advocates in power that would support this? Alison Grimes maybe?

Here's an even simpler solution, that I have been advocating since circa 1992. Just give anyone who wants one a Medicare card. They can be treated like the citizens of civilized nations like Canada, England, France, and Germany are treated all over the world. If you get sick you go get treated and you don't get a bill. Now, for all the shrewd sophisticates that know government health care sucks donkey wangs, they can buy WHATEVER private insurance they want for whatever price the market will bear. Simple. Insurance companies that can do better than the lousy government can still make their trillions, nobody is forced into a government scheme chock full of death panels, and everyone has a choice. You can get a Medicare card, you can buy a private insurance card, or you can go "naked." Real choice.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-20-2017, 10:36 AM)Benton Wrote: No idea. I haven't really seen anyone supporting the idea, just debating whether government should pay for everyone to have cheap healthcare, or just subsidize those who already have it. I guess the reason nobody wants to touch it is insurance companies make a good chunk off charging single payers higher rates. If those single payers all came together and said "we want to pay 8% less" those companies would lose revenue.

Then why not just cut out the profits of the middleman and have the United States government be the insurance company.

The only problem is that that wipes out a multi-billion dollar industry in the UNited States
(03-24-2017, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then why not just cut out the profits of the middleman and have the United States government be the insurance company.

The only problem is that that wipes out a multi-billion dollar industry in the UNited States

..or what some Capitalist call competition.

If you don't like the coverage the Government provides; you only choice is to leave the country
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-24-2017, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ..or what some Capitalist call competition.

If you don't like the coverage the Government provides; you only choice is to leave the country

Or, as in some places, there could be a private insurance market that people could opt into if they wanted more than the basic coverage of the single-payer system.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-24-2017, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ..or what some Capitalist call competition.

You could pay cash.
Vote cancelled.

Trump must be tired of winning.
(03-24-2017, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Oh, this is gonna pass.  I guaran **** tee it will. Its 'fake news' reporting the opposite. 

Well they've pulled it. Refreshing to see the GOP not vote along Party lines just because.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-24-2017, 04:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well they've pulled it. Refreshing to see the GOP not vote along Party lines just because.

Yep.  Some are still holding out to try and make it even worse for citizens.

Good job.